• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hey all of you Nedor collectors!

155 posts in this topic

I wasn't. I should have been buying up Timely books in 2002/2003 when I got back into it instead of hunting my familiar bronze and silver books but hey, it is what it is.

Well, yes and no. In the last two years, I actually acquired a couple of Timelys (later MMCs for the most part) for less then what they sold for in 2002/2003.

Now the good stuff (first 40 or so issues of MMC), that's still on fire. If its a Schomburg cover, its a hot book. I think even among the MMC run, there is a huge difference in Schomburg war covers and the post war books.

I probably should have said 2004/05 as some of the crazy prices in the early days of CGC did level off or drop soyou're right. When I scan at some early Heritage auctions I cannot believe how "cheap" stuff was going for compared to now.

I probably should have said 2004/05 as some of the crazy prices in the early days of CGC did level off or drop soyou're right. When I scan at some early Heritage auctions I cannot believe how "cheap" stuff was going for compared to now.

That is so true - makes me :sick:

In definite agreement with you on the Startling #10 since that one hardly ever comes up for sale. Anybody have any idea when and for what price the last nice copy of this book sold for?

Since 1996 or so, this is what I've been able to track for Startling 10:

1) There was a 4.0 OWW on Heritage for $661 in 2003

2) GPA reports a 5.0 for a $790 the same year

3) There was the copy that Ken Danker sold on the boards here, brittle, don't remember the price

4) There was a raw copy that sold locally for an undisclosed price.

5) I sold a copy around 1996 that had brittle covers for way too cheap

None listed in the Heritage archive

There are 5 on the census, none higher than 5.5. I can't immediately recall if #4 was later slabbed, but taking that into consideration that makes either 7 or 8 copies in the public eye in 12 years. That's pretty freaking rare for a "key" GA book.

I don't know of any others. Whereas Exciting 9 seems to suffer from "CFO syndrome" (I know of 3 missing the CF), it looks like Startling 10 suffers from brittleness based on these few numbers.

By contrast, GPA has 4 sales for Exciting 9 with 12 total on the census. There's the CFO copy recently from Metro, Heritage sold a CFO copy last year, plus the raw copy recently discussed on the boards. Metro has the Mile High that's intermittently for sale, and they had the Overstreet copy (raw 6.5) - not sure if that ever sold. DTA had a 3.0 that Ibelieve was slabbed, but may have been raw, about 4-5 years ago. Roughly double the number for Startling 10.

Exciting 9 guides for more, which may mean it's more likely to be sold, but Startling 10 is supposedly less desirable, so you'd think that would equal things out. This doesn't seem to be the case.

Another book that is in the Startling 10 category of "where the heck are they?" is Prize 7.

I forgot to mention another restored Exciting 9 that I know of. Just for completeness sake.

I'm not sure why Prize 7 is so tough. 1st Owl and/or 1st Frankenstein IIRC. Nothing particularly overwhelming, but never turns up for sale. The 8 pops up semi-frequently, but never the 7.

There are 5 on the census, none higher than 5.5. I can't immediately recall if #4 was later slabbed, but taking that into consideration that makes either 7 or 8 copies in the public eye in 12 years. That's pretty freaking rare for a "key" GA book.

What's more amazing to me is that there are zero copies in the census of Startling 4, 5, 7 & 8.

I forgot to mention another restored Exciting 9 that I know of. Just for completeness sake.

I'm not sure why Prize 7 is so tough. 1st Owl and/or 1st Frankenstein IIRC. Nothing particularly overwhelming, but never turns up for sale. The 8 pops up semi-frequently, but never the 7.

Mike Willis had his Exciting #9 for sale over the last year. It was an incredible looking 5.0. I've been told some people were offered the book for $5000. It has since sold, but I have no idea for how much. I wish I'd of had the money when it was available. It was very pretty for a 5.0.

A thread can always use pictures so I might as well post mine again. :devil:

exciting9gvg001.jpg

That set of Thrillings is superb, Jeff. Very strong artwork by Schomburg.

If you're really desparate for Schomburg war covers and you can't afford Nedor superhoroes:

RealLifeGroup.jpg

That's beyond awesome! (worship)

Your RL # 3 is a good candidate for the $10k mark. :headbang:

:gossip: I was offered that around 9 years ago.

If you're really desparate for Schomburg war covers and you can't afford Nedor superhoroes:

RealLifeGroup.jpg

I truly wonder what that book would sell for in today's market.... hm

Didn't a mid grade copy bring several thousand on Comiclink recently?

RealLifeGroup.jpg

I don't expect we'll ever know. :shy:

RealLifeGroup.jpg

What are you, a collector or somethin'?

RealLifeGroup.jpg

What are you, a collector or somethin'?

I resemble that remark! :sumo:

In definite agreement with you on the Startling #10 since that one hardly ever comes up for sale. Anybody have any idea when and for what price the last nice copy of this book sold for?

Since 1996 or so, this is what I've been able to track for Startling 10:

1) There was a 4.0 OWW on Heritage for $661 in 2003

2) GPA reports a 5.0 for a $790 the same year

3) There was the copy that Ken Danker sold on the boards here, brittle, don't remember the price

4) There was a raw copy that sold locally for an undisclosed price.

5) I sold a copy around 1996 that had brittle covers for way too cheap

None listed in the Heritage archive

I don't know of any others. Whereas Exciting 9 seems to suffer from "CFO syndrome" (I know of 3 missing the CF), it looks like Startling 10 suffers from brittleness based on these few numbers.

Another book that is in the Startling 10 category of "where the heck are they?" is Prize 7.

Buttock;

Greatly appreciate your detailed information on the Startling #10! :applause:

It would appear that those 2 listed sales in 2003 saw the book go for slightly lower than guide price in both cases. I am quite sure that the pricing on any copy that shows up now would be a little bit more aggressive.

I am actually quite surprised at how very few copies have shown up in the marketplace over the past several years. Any idea who or where the Mile High copy is since it was listed as a NM+ copy in Chuck's initial catalogue from way back when?

And I also definitely agree with you on the Prize #7 since I have been looking for a nice copy for well over 10 years now. (thumbs u

My question to everyone is this: Putting Exciting 9 aside, which particular Nedor issues would/could sell for $10K or more? Let's assume we are talking Church copies here. And do you think there is a ceiling as to what a Nedor could fetch?

Startling 10, possibly Thrilling 41 or America's Best 7 (probably a long shot). I don't see Thrilling 44 hitting that ceiling. Maybe Wonder 1 (Metro had the MH for a while, asking somewhere north of $9K IIRC).

Absolutely love the cover to America's Best #7, especially the Russian guy hiding under the desk. Yeah, it's still going to be a stretch to hit the $10K mark unless it's a uber HG Church copy.

I guess there's no love for America's Best #11 since Hitler doesn't show up on the cover? Cover image is definitely not as classic as the one for issue #7.

My question to everyone is this: Putting Exciting 9 aside, which particular Nedor issues would/could sell for $10K or more? Let's assume we are talking Church copies here. And do you think there is a ceiling as to what a Nedor could fetch?

Startling 10, possibly Thrilling 41 or America's Best 7 (probably a long shot). I don't see Thrilling 44 hitting that ceiling. Maybe Wonder 1 (Metro had the MH for a while, asking somewhere north of $9K IIRC).

Absolutely love the cover to America's Best #7, especially the Russian guy hiding under the desk. Yeah, it's still going to be a stretch to hit the $10K mark unless it's a uber HG Church copy.

I guess there's no love for America's Best #11 since Hitler doesn't show up on the cover? Cover image is definitely not as classic as the one for issue #7.

Russian... RUSSIAN?!?!?! That's Il Duce himself!

74539.jpg.2068de905b06693f3004bb2c23f96915.jpg