• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hey all of you Nedor collectors!

155 posts in this topic

Geez, I haven't been keeping up with the price escalation on the Nedor books for quite some time.

I had a chance at an EXCITING 39 in VF for $1600 once. I thought that was a crazy price.

How much would that sell for now ? (This is about 8 years ago, when the book was offered).

My first ever Golden Age book was Thrilling # 11, WAY BACK when...

(interesting story on that one...you can read about it RIGHT HERE )

My favorite NEDOR is Startling 52

startling52.jpg

As mentioned, when the prices on these (or any Nedors) start to get in to the same range as comparable Timely issues, it becomes a question of where to spend your money for many of us.

(thumbs u That's the rub for me.

I think you need to factor scarcity into the equation, as well. If there's only 1 copy above 8.0 of a particular Nedor(which isn't an uncommon occurance) and numerous copies above 8.0 of a comparable Timely, I can see them being priced in the same range. If the Nedor has the same number of copies in grade, then yes, I can see how the Timely would be more attractive.

Ok so let me get this straight.....MMC's have amazing covers, are very desirable and sell for way over guide in just about all conditions mid-grade and higher.....and now we have VG Nedor's going for NM++ prices....

What are us non Donald Trump collectors supposed to due to get great books......what's my alternative here since MegaCon is a few weeks away and I will hopefully have at least $1000 to drop on a single book.... :pullhair:

I am not looking for a great investment but I nice war cover would be nice and a 1.8 with brittle pages is just not my cup of tea :sorry:

I am trying to avoid moving to the SA side becuase I can actually still by a descent key book for $1000 :devil:

Geez, I haven't been keeping up with the price escalation on the Nedor books for quite some time.

I had a chance at an EXCITING 39 in VF for $1600 once. I thought that was a crazy price.

How much would that sell for now ? (This is about 8 years ago, when the book was offered).

My first ever Golden Age book was Thrilling # 11, WAY BACK when...

(interesting story on that one...you can read about it RIGHT HERE )

My favorite NEDOR is Startling 52

startling52.jpg

That one doesn't get anywhere near the play it should :applause:

Ok so let me get this straight.....MMC's have amazing covers, are very desirable and sell for way over guide in just about all conditions mid-grade and higher.....and now we have VG Nedor's going for NM++ prices....

What are us non Donald Trump collectors supposed to due to get great books......what's my alternative here since MegaCon is a few weeks away and I will hopefully have at least $1000 to drop on a single book.... :pullhair:

I am not looking for a great investment but I nice war cover would be nice and a 1.8 with brittle pages is just not my cup of tea :sorry:

I am trying to avoid moving to the SA side becuase I can actually still by a descent key book for $1000 :devil:

There are very few Nedors that will cost you 1K in low grade. On the flip side, there are GREAT books at bargain prices to be found in the low to mid-grades.

The reason the Exciting 28 went for so much is because it is NOT-PICTURED in the famous Gerber Photo-Journals.

It must be legitimately RARE if he couldn't track down a copy.

It's a shame we couldn't talk to Mr. Gerber to get his insights into how tough some of these books were to find.

Granted, he was privy to plenty of Pedigree collections with runs of titles. I would still love to hear some of his recollections of tracking down the issues that were missing from those collections.

Also, Exciting 39 is sought after due to the subject matter alone, pertaining to the cover ?

The Nazi's poisioning the children cover. Isn't that right ?

As mentioned, when the prices on these (or any Nedors) start to get in to the same range as comparable Timely issues, it becomes a question of where to spend your money for many of us.

I think you need to factor scarcity into the equation, as well. If there's only 1 copy above 8.0 of a particular Nedor(which isn't an uncommon occurance) and numerous copies above 8.0 of a comparable Timely, I can see them being priced in the same range. If the Nedor has the same number of copies in grade, then yes, I can see how the Timely would be more attractive.

I agree with that Jeff.

Here are two books to compare.

The Exciting #35 just sold on Clink last month for $2800 . I'm guessing a Marvel Mystery #64 is probably going to be in a similar price range in the same grade. (maybe not 9.0 is only second to one 9.4)

I just bought this MMC#64 from Rick for $900. I'd probably consider paying just about that much for a nice Exciting #35 in 7.0.

The MMC#64 has 21 copies on the census with 10 copies in VF or better. The Exciting #35 has 7 copies on the census with only 2 copies in VF or better, the best being a 9.0.

exciting35.jpg

mmc64.jpg

The reason the Exciting 28 went for so much is because it is NOT-PICTURED in the famous Gerber Photo-Journals.

Aren't there lots of books that were considered rare by Gerber and were later found to be incorrectly labeled?

I agree with that Jeff.

The Exciting #35 just sold on Clink last month for $2800 . I'm guessing a Marvel Mystery #64 is probably going to be in a similar price range in the same grade. (maybe not 9.0 is only second to one 9.4)

I just bought this MMC#64 from Rick for $900. I'd probably consider paying just about that much for a nice Exciting #35 in 7.0.

The MMC#64 has 21 copies on the census with 10 copies in VF or better. The Exciting #35 has 7 copies on the census with only 2 copies in VF or better, the best being a 9.0.

Is it not possible that since Marvel has sustained it's hero's popularity through past decades that more of these Timely books would have been graded and less Nedors?

Heck I didn't know what a Nedor was until about 3 years ago. Honestly.

We see it all the time...as people find an interest in books the numbers of those books being slabbed begin to increase.

Look at the bronze horror mania that happened a few years ago...when CGC first started these were quarter bin books and then as they caught on people whipped themselves into a frenzy trying to nab the highest grades and now they are everywhere.

I think these prices are great but I'd expect to see a few more come on to the market now...

As far as the recent or apparent spike in Nedors. I'm not sure it has been that way across the boards, or limited to the Schomburg war covers and some of the keys.

The demand is going to be higher for particular issues based on overlapping demand from collectors of different niches.

You have:

Nedor collectors

Schomburg collectors

War cover collectors

Classic cover collectors

Hitler (or Axis leader collectors)

Black Terror collectors

and even second tier collectors (like me, focus a little more on the non- Timely or DC titles)

or any combination of the above, all after certain books that fit thier focus, obviously certain issues fit in more categories and have a higher demand.

I can't say I have paid much attention, but has the demand increased at all for the non-Schomburg war covers, such as the covers, or lower grade non Schomburg covers from the rest of the issues in the titles? How about the Xela airbrush ed covers, any increas in demand?

Aren't there lots of books that were considered rare by Gerber and were later found to be incorrectly labeled?

I agree with that Jeff.

Is it not possible that since Marvel has sustained it's hero's popularity through past decades that more of these Timely books would have been graded and less Nedors?

We see it all the time...as people find an interest in books the numbers of those books being slabbed begin to increase.

Look at the bronze horror mania that happened a few years ago...when CGC first started these were quarter bin books and then as they caught on people whipped themselves into a frenzy trying to nab the highest grades and now they are everywhere.

I think these prices are great but I'd expect to see a few more come on to the market now...

I may have agree with that 5 years ago, but I believe we are past the point for it to be "worth" it to slab these comics. Also, as a long time collector of Nedors, I can tell you, they just aren't as common. I'm sure the circulation was much lower to begin with in the 40's.

I'm sure there are copies in collections that have not ar may not ever make it to the census, but I would say that applies to Timelys as well.

Hard to beat Fawcett and Quality for great affordable war covers. Very affordable even in higher grades for almost all issues of most books.

Hard to beat Fawcett and Quality for great affordable war covers. Very affordable even in higher grades for almost all issues of most books.

Thanks...good suggestion as I don't like to go below 4.0 on any book regardless of rarity so something a little higher grade would fit the bill.....just need to see what titles Quality had as I am not that familiar with them....Fawcett's I know (thumbs u

I agree with that Jeff.

I agree, I would expect to see more Nedors myself.

But to compare Nedor scarcity to Bronze Age books is...well..... :insane:

If your average war cover Nedor starts selling for $1,500-$2,000 in 8.5/9.0, then the time would be right to start looking at Timelys again. I still think the market has a lot of room to mature before that happens though.

I've never really bought into this argument. Exciting #28 is no rarer than Exciting 30, 31, or 36. Heck, the highest graded #36 is a 7.5.

If that is indeed the reason the book hammered so high, then perhaps it IS overvalued currently in the marketplace. I could put the highest graded Exciting 30 and 31 up for auction, both great covers, and they'd do very well, but they wouldn't do as well as the #28 did.

The other possibility is this. The hammer price of the #28 does reflect current market value, but not because it's a Gerber no-show, but because people LOVE the cover. It's not my favorite, but every time #28 is discussed here on the boards, people profess their love for the cover. In our current cover-driven market, I think this possibility is quite likely.

I agree with that Jeff.

exciting35.jpg

mmc64.jpg

For comparisons sake...

mm64.jpg

I agree with that Jeff.

exciting35.jpg

mmc64.jpg

For comparisons sake...

mm64.jpg

:o:mad:(worship)(worship)(worship)

Exciting #28 is no rarer than Exciting 30, 31, or 36. Heck, the highest graded #36 is a 7.5.

If that is indeed the reason the book hammered so high, then perhaps it IS overvalued currently in the marketplace. I could put the highest graded Exciting 30 and 31 up for auction, both great covers, and they'd do very well, but they wouldn't do as well as the #28 did.

The other possibility is this. The hammer price of the #28 does reflect current market value, but not because it's a Gerber no-show, but because people LOVE the cover. It's not my favorite, but every time #28 is discussed here on the boards, people profess their love for the cover. In our current cover-driven market, I think this possibility is quite likely.

I agree 100%.

I'm kind of a new recruit to Nedor Nation. I've been underbidder on quite a few recently, including the MH Exciting #28. I've also won a few here and there. My sweet spot grade wise is 7.0 to 8.5ish, but I'll stray a little higher or lower. I'm also currently only chasing war covers, although the later airbrushed 'Xela' covers are also appealing and eventually I hope to get those too.

One of the things I like about them is how much rarer they seem to be than Timelys. Who knows though, maybe these new higher prices will bring more of them out.

Also, I should both thank Jeff for his awesome Nedor's on Parade thread, and apologize for bidding him up on these great books!

And since this thread needs more pictures, here is one of my favorite Nedors from my collection.

startling35.jpg

Thanks...good suggestion as I don't like to go below 4.0 on any book regardless of rarity so something a little higher grade would fit the bill.....just need to see what titles Quality had as I am not that familiar with them....Fawcett's I know (thumbs u

Mainly Military / Modern, Uncle Sam Quarterly / Blackhawk (both had a name change) and National for the War covers.

There were other great Quality series, but with few War covers: Crack, Smash and Hit and the always popular and great Police Comics with Plastic-Man but again, no War covers.

The hammer price of the #28 does reflect current market value, but not because it's a Gerber no-show, but because people LOVE the cover.

I think it's BOTH....not only is the cover a super-dramatic Shomburg underwater battle...it also couldn't be LOCATED in order to publish it in a book with over 20,000 other covers.

It would be kind of like SUSPENSE # 3 was a no-show....(even though we all know why SUSPENSE # 3 is so sought after....that's another story)

Anyhow....

new thread topic.... COOLEST Gerber No-Show cover...my vote ...Exciting # 28