• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hey all of you Nedor collectors!

155 posts in this topic

Sure, MC listed it at $1600. (thumbs u

Too funny, you and I were both dealing w/ MC at the same time then. I picked up the Thrilling #52 from him and might have considered the Exciting #39 as well - but it was already long gone. (thumbs u

Too funny, you and I were both dealing w/ MC at the same time then. I picked up the Thrilling #52 from him and might have considered the Exciting #39 as well - but it was already long gone. (thumbs u

...while you and I were finalizing the Pep #20 deal! lol Wheelin' and dealin' with fellow boardies is one of the best parts of the Forum!

I couldn't find the GA marketplace thread so I thought I'd do a private promotion here that I put up an Exciting 9 VG (Qualified - cf missing) for sale in the FS section. For those interested.

Ed

Startling 10, possibly Thrilling 41 or America's Best 7 (probably a long shot). I don't see Thrilling 44 hitting that ceiling. Maybe Wonder 1 (Metro had the MH for a while, asking somewhere north of $9K IIRC).

The Thrilling 41 MH is a 9.2 and I believe sold for around $6-6500 4-5 years ago. I own the Wonder 1 MH. The America's Best 7 MH is a 9.6 that Bill Hughes sold a few years ago. It is listed as sold for $8500, but that was his asking price. He does negotiate off asking. I am just trying to put the Exciting 28 sale(s) in perspective, that's all. I, like many of you, am having a hard time with it. :juggle:

Startling 10, possibly Thrilling 41 or America's Best 7 (probably a long shot). I don't see Thrilling 44 hitting that ceiling. Maybe Wonder 1 (Metro had the MH for a while, asking somewhere north of $9K IIRC).

The Thrilling 41 MH is a 9.2 and I believe sold for around $6-6500 4-5 years ago. I own the Wonder 1 MH. The America's Best 7 MH is a 9.6 that Bill Hughes sold a few years ago. It is listed as sold for $8500, but that was his asking price. He does negotiate off asking. I am just trying to put the Exciting 28 sale(s) in perspective, that's all. I, like many of you, am having a hard time with it. :juggle:

Right. I'm not sure where those prices would translate today, but $10K isn't too far fetched. What do you think about the Thrilling 44?

I agree on the Startling #10, a tough book in any grade.

The America's Best #7 would have a good shot. It's a gorgeous copy and everyone loves that cover.

If the Church Black Terror #1 is 9.4 or better, it would probably reach that level. Heck, if an 8.5 can sell for just shy of 5K, then a 9.4 or better should achieve 10K, but at the moment a 9.0 is the highest graded.

I'd also bet on the Exciting 39, a cover that suddenly in the past few months is finally getting the recognition it deserves(and I don't have a copy!).

I think everyone and their grandma is kicking themselves that they let the MH copy sit on the Metro site for years without seriously pursuing it. In hindsight, that was pretty dumb. :insane:

You really think so? I looked at that book long and hard and I am far from kicking myself. There is a 9.4 with white pages out there somewhere, too.

My question to everyone is this: Putting Exciting 9 aside, which particular Nedor issues would/could sell for $10K or more? Let's assume we are talking Church copies here. And do you think there is a ceiling as to what a Nedor could fetch?

I think what has become obvious is that the days of Jeff and being the only ones buying these largely overlooked gems are long gone.

At some point last year the light went on: there are 6-12 collectors actively buying Nedors (Schomburg covers especially) in the marketplace, and they are paying well for them.

How many people passed on the MH Exciting 28 because they thought the price was too high? Now that water stained low graders are fetching over NM prices, has anyone's tune changed? I know I would revisit the opportunity to buy that book given another chance.

I think this recent surge in prices is going to affect those MH copies still for sale, and make them look like comparative bargains. So I fully expect to see a few less on Metro's site in 6-12 months.

What do you think about the Thrilling 44?

I think it would be right there with the aformentioned. I love that book. There have been a few copies floating around lately, but that is a real tough one to pry out of collectors' hands.

I may be wrong, but I am pretty sure Verzyl owns the Church copy of that book. It came up in conversation a few years back.

...while you and I were finalizing the Pep #20 deal! lol Wheelin' and dealin' with fellow boardies is one of the best parts of the Forum!

:roflmao:

Of course the grades need to up there, but I could easily see these Nedors getting 10K+

Exciting #9 (obvious)

Exciting #28

Exciting #39

Black Terror #1

Startling #10

Serious potential in the right grade or pedigree.

America's Best #7

Wonder #1

Thrilling #44

Thriling #41

As mentioned, when the prices on these (or any Nedors) start to get in to the same range as comparable Timely issues, it becomes a question of where to spend your money for many of us.

How many people passed on the MH Exciting 28 because they thought the price was too high? Now that water stained low graders are fetching over NM prices, has anyone's tune changed?

Not really for me.

I'm still trying to get my arms around the prices they have been getting recently. And don't get me wrong, I am all for it. I have Nedors in my collection. But they are starting to make Timelys look like bargains.

I think everyone and their grandma is kicking themselves that they let the MH copy sit on the Metro site for years without seriously pursuing it. In hindsight, that was pretty dumb. :insane:

You really think so? I looked at that book long and hard and I am far from kicking myself. There is a 9.4 with white pages out there somewhere, too.

My question to everyone is this: Putting Exciting 9 aside, which particular Nedor issues would/could sell for $10K or more? Let's assume we are talking Church copies here. And do you think there is a ceiling as to what a Nedor could fetch?

I think what has become obvious is that the days of Jeff and being the only ones buying these largely overlooked gems are long gone.

At some point last year the light went on: there are 6-12 collectors actively buying Nedors (Schomburg covers especially) in the marketplace, and they are paying well for them.

How many people passed on the MH Exciting 28 because they thought the price was too high? Now that water stained low graders are fetching over NM prices, has anyone's tune changed? I know I would revisit the opportunity to buy that book given another chance.

I think this recent surge in prices is going to affect those MH copies still for sale, and make them look like comparative bargains. So I fully expect to see a few less on Metro's site in 6-12 months.

I'm not so sure about this. I've collected Nedors off & on for years, and they seem to be a real roller coaster in terms of interest.

There are a few that hit the high points, but many that can still be had for below guide below FN. The recent Clink auction brought some impressive results, but yet I've seen other venues not do as well. Exciting 28, 39, the Hitler covers are exceptions to the rule, but many "common" issues just don't get the same love (to wit, the one with extra staples you sold recently - stunning copy, but didn't get the same love the Clink auction did).

I think these really fulfill the term, "a poor man's Timely", because once they start to get anywhere within the realm of Timelys they fall back to earth.

Part of the reason the MH Exciting 28 didn't garner the interest it could have is the fact that there's a higher graded copy out there.

That being said, at current guide prices these books are a no-brainer.

(to wit, the one with extra staples you sold recently - stunning copy, but didn't get the same love the Clink auction did).

I'm yet to see enough evidence to determine whether the recent spike in sales is for high-grade Nedors across the board, or solely for Black Terror covers. The extra staples book may have suffered in comparison to the Clink sales because it was Fighting Yank #4 rather than Black Terror #5.

Part of the reason the MH Exciting 28 didn't garner the interest it could have is the fact that there's a higher graded copy out there.

That was the only factor in my decision not to bid on the Church copy. I had scans of both the 9.2 and the 9.4, and the 9.4 is simply a nicer copy. I'm convinced it's from the Charles Strong collection.

(to wit, the one with extra staples you sold recently - stunning copy, but didn't get the same love the Clink auction did).

I'm yet to see enough evidence to determine whether the recent spike in sales is for high-grade Nedors across the board, or solely for Black Terror covers. The extra staples book may have suffered in comparison to the Clink sales because it was Fighting Yank #4 rather than Black Terror #5.

That and the extra staples/GLOD. Still, it had great PQ, appeal, and it was cheap. You're probably right about the Black Terror thing. Although FY 6-9 seem to do quite well.

That and the extra staples/GLOD. Still, it had great PQ, appeal, and it was cheap. You're probably right about the Black Terror thing. Although FY 6-9 seem to do quite well.

True, but they were doing well before the recent spike. That's just a great run of covers, regardless of the title character.