• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hey all of you Nedor collectors!

155 posts in this topic

I have been watching the Exciting books for a year now and I see the availability and price has changed alot on Ebay. Last year around this time, I bought my Exciting #25 on Ebay for less than guide and bought it at a BIN that had been there for quiet awhile. It is robot cover too. Then there was a lot of choices on Ebay. Many dealers/sellers had Exciting books on Ebay with BIN's. Now you look and there is nowhere near the deals as of a year ago.

I agree, I would expect to see more Nedors myself.

But to compare Nedor scarcity to Bronze Age books is...well..... :insane:

If your average war cover Nedor starts selling for $1,500-$2,000 in 8.5/9.0, then the time would be right to start looking at Timelys again. I still think the market has a lot of room to mature before that happens though.

Dude, you know what I meant.

Inevitably these record prices will bring new books out of the "quarter bins" and "overstock bins" of the GA world. It is the way the hobby works.

Seriously. I did not know what a Nedor was. It took me months to gather the courage to look into Nearmint's thread and see what was in there. I thought a Nedor was some sick punchline to an inside joke. There are plenty of people out there who know what a Timely and DC are and do not know what a Nedor is.

The new moderns with the Nedor characters, along with the stratospheric pricing of Timely books is sure to bring out more and more great Nedor books into the marketplace.

R.

I agree, I would expect to see more Nedors myself.

But to compare Nedor scarcity to Bronze Age books is...well..... :insane:

If your average war cover Nedor starts selling for $1,500-$2,000 in 8.5/9.0, then the time would be right to start looking at Timelys again. I still think the market has a lot of room to mature before that happens though.

Dude, you know what I meant.

Inevitably these record prices will bring new books out of the "quarter bins" and "overstock bins" of the GA world. It is the way the hobby works.

Seriously. I did not know what a Nedor was. It took me months to gather the courage to look into Nearmint's thread and see what was in there. I thought a Nedor was some sick punchline to an inside joke. There are plenty of people out there who know what a Timely and DC are and do not know what a Nedor is.

The new moderns with the Nedor characters, along with the stratospheric pricing of Timely books is sure to bring out more and more great Nedor books into the marketplace.

R.

Great. I can think of a half dozen Forumites at least who would be competitive buyers if that were to happen. In fact, the last time it did was when Mike Willis was selling his books on ebay. Seems like his Nedors sold better then his Timelys (both were priced strong), with several selling off ebay for higher-than-asking sale prices. Mike told me later he was shocked by the demand for the Nedors compared to his Timelys. Shocked me a little too.

Personally, I can't wait for the "quarter bins" of the GA world to be filled with high grade Nedors....you'll just have to pardon me if I don't hold my breath. ;)

I don't think it'll be super high grade stuff but everything does run in cycles and it seems like it's Nedor time now.

Have fun. I'm lost in my little old Timely world and likely to grow old there.

:cloud9:

I don't think it'll be super high grade stuff but everything does run in cycles and it seems like it's Nedor time now.

Have fun. I'm lost in my little old Timely world and likely to grow old there.

:cloud9:

Don't forget, I love Timelys too (and own a couple of real gems)....but for now, I still get more bang for my buck with the Nedors. What's funny is I really started focusing on them after I bought the Thrilling # 7 9.0 from Metro two years ago for what I considered a really fair price.

Imagine, a high grade Schomburg cover from the early years (a contemporary of MMC # 10), his first Nedor work, for the then bargain price of $1,250. What would an early MMC run me...$4,000-$5,000 for one of the non-descript ones....$6,000-$8,000 for a middling book, and $10k-$50k+ for the more desireable ones.

At the time, Nedors seemed like the poor-man's Timely and a no-brainer of a purchase. Not so much anymore.

Obviously that is what has happened. The caboose has caught up.

You'll always see a pendulum swing...the key is to be ahead of the curve and you have been so that's great.

I wasn't. I should have been buying up Timely books in 2002/2003 when I got back into it instead of hunting my familiar bronze and silver books but hey, it is what it is.

People are realizing that for a fraction of the price of Schomburg's contemporary art work at Timely they can get comparable eye appeal in another publisher. Same thing happens to restored books when the unrestored keys get too expensive (Action #1 wrap anyone?), reprints (1966 Marvel reprints anyone?) and alternate publishers.

BTW, I've read a few Nedor stories and they were decent reads.

You'll always see a pendulum swing...the key is to be ahead of the curve and you have been so that's great.

I wasn't. I should have been buying up Timely books in 2002/2003 when I got back into it instead of hunting my familiar bronze and silver books but hey, it is what it is.

People are realizing that for a fraction of the price of Schomburg's contemporary art work at Timely they can get comparable eye appeal in another publisher. Same thing happens to restored books when the unrestored keys get too expensive (Action #1 wrap anyone?), reprints (1966 Marvel reprints anyone?) and alternate publishers.

The Timely train left the station long before 2002/2003. They were selling for multiples of guide back in 1992/1993. No matter how much the guide would increase the price, the multiples remained the same. Astonishing really.

The Timely train left the station long before 2002/2003. They were selling for multiples of guide back in 1992/1993. No matter how much the guide would increase the price, the multiples remained the same. Astonishing really.

...and that has driven the collectors into other options like Nedors with Shomburg war covers. I think with the advent of the internet, Ebay and CGC all kinds of new niches have opened up and spilled over.

That's interesting to know about the Timely books Bob. :baiting:

Was it the same with Actions at the time...or any other titles?

If you're really desparate for Schomburg war covers and you can't afford Nedor superhoroes:

RealLifeGroup.jpg

...and that has driven the collectors into other options like Nedors with Shomburg war covers. I think with the advent of the internet, Ebay and CGC all kinds of new niches have opened up and spilled over.

That's interesting to know about the Timely books Bob. :baiting:

Was it the same with Actions at the time...or any other titles?

Others had their time, but would slip back to earth, not those darn Timelys though. They just kept on keeping on.

If you're really desparate for Schomburg war covers and you can't afford Nedor superhoroes:

RealLifeGroup.jpg

The 4, 5, & 13 are a great alternative to the more expensive superhero titles, but the #3 is as expensive or more!

Of course the grades need to up there, but I could easily see these Nedors getting 10K+

Exciting #9 (obvious)

Exciting #28

Exciting #39

Black Terror #1

Startling #10

Serious potential in the right grade or pedigree.

America's Best #7

Wonder #1

Thrilling #44

Thriling #41

As mentioned, when the prices on these (or any Nedors) start to get in to the same range as comparable Timely issues, it becomes a question of where to spend your money for many of us.

MCM;

Looks like a pretty good list you got here for the Nedors! (thumbs u

In definite agreement with you on the Startling #10 since that one hardly ever comes up for sale. Anybody have any idea when and for what price the last nice copy of this book sold for?

How about the #1 issues for these 3 series, namely Exciting #1, Startling #1, and Thrilling #1? Any chance that the right pedigree copy would be able to hit the $10K mark even though these particular issues might be a bit overpriced in the guide?

I guess the Thrilling series must be the poor man's Nedor since it really carries the least value as it didn't really introduce any significant or long-running heroes.

I guess the Thrilling series must be the poor man's Nedor since it really carries the least value as it didn't really introduce any significant or long-running heroes.

I actually have a soft spot for Thrillings. The title has a number of early Schomburg covers on #7 and #9 - 19...

thrilling11.jpg

thrilling15.jpg

thrilling18.jpg

thrilling19.jpg

Well, yes and no. In the last two years, I actually acquired a couple of Timelys (later MMCs for the most part) for less then what they sold for in 2002/2003.

Now the good stuff (first 40 or so issues of MMC), that's still on fire. If its a Schomburg cover, its a hot book. I think even among the MMC run, there is a huge difference in Schomburg war covers and the post war books.

I actually have a soft spot for Thrillings. The title has a number of early Schomburg covers on #7 and #9 - 19...

thrilling11.jpg

thrilling15.jpg

thrilling18.jpg

thrilling19.jpg

Actually, and I may be stoned by the angry villagers for this one, but I think Thrilling Comics best encompasses the entire Golden Age as a run, of any comic book title, ever.

Think about it....You have the pre-war Pulp-like era in the first 10 issues, from 11-50s you have war themed books with multiple characters including Doc Strange, American Crusader, and the kid team of the Commando Cubs. From 51-60 you are back to typical Golden Age adventure stories, then you have a Jungle-type run from 60-70s with Princess Pantha, and the title concludes with western theme books.

What other title comes close to that type of variety? I think it would be a great little run to collect in low grade just to read all the stories...