• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Spider-Man #583 - 350,000+ Copies Sold

21 posts in this topic

According to estimates from Diamond Comic Distributors, Amazing Spider-Man #583 sold over 350,000 copies in January. Since the regular edition, Obama variant, 2nd printing, and 3rd printing were all released in January, I would assume that number includes all of those issues combined.

Been a long time since I have seen a copy of the Amazing sell that well. Maybe in the days of McFarlane.

ASM #583 TOPS IN JANUARY

According to estimates from Diamond Comic Distributors, Amazing Spider-Man #583 sold over 350,000 copies in January. Since the regular edition, Obama variant, 2nd printing, and 3rd printing were all released in January, I would assume that number includes all of those issues combined.

Been a long time since I have seen a copy of the Amazing sell that well. Maybe in the days of McFarlane.

ASM #583 TOPS IN JANUARY

What a difference in print run with 10 years ago...almost X7

I seem to remember reading that late 1998 through to end 2000 was the absolute low-point for ASM sales-wise.

I pulled my Standard Catalog and issues #15 through to #21 have a max Diamond preorder of 52K.....

Up to #29 the numbers drop even more, with #28 having a mere 48.500 issues preordered....

The series was in deep-deep trouble back then and not a lot of people were buying it....

I seem to remember reading that late 1998 through to end 2000 was the absolute low-point for ASM sales-wise.

I pulled my Standard Catalog and issues #15 through to #21 have a max Diamond preorder of 52K.....

Up to #29 the numbers drop even more, with #28 having a mere 48.500 issues preordered....

The series was in deep-deep trouble back then and not a lot of people were buying it....

And those are the ones collectors will be scrambling for down the road.

lol, that a great photo and shows that the "numbers sold" is a stupid figure that often has nothing to do with consumer sales. The LCS is the basis for that sales data, while their *actual* sell-through to real customers is much lower.

IMG_0278.jpg

lol, that a great photo and shows that the "numbers sold" is a stupid figure that often has nothing to do with consumer sales. The LCS is the basis for that sales data, while their *actual* sell-through to real customers is much lower.

IMG_0278.jpg

Agreed. The number of copies printed and the number of copies bought are two very different things.

I took that picture the first day of the NYC Con. I didn't check back to see what the rack looked like on Sunday.

Also while in NYC, I saw something I hadn't seen in 20 years. The ASM 2nd printing was being sold at newsstands right next to the NY Post.

What is disconcerting considering the January sales figures is that outside of this one shot AMS bump, only three other comics broke the 100,000 barrier. Two of those were Final Crisis with the other Dark Avengers. Wouldn't surprise me whatsoever to see all comics move under the 100,000 barrier for the first time ever in the next couple of months...

Jim

IMG_0278.jpg

Exactly just like majority of those 150,000 monthly sales of Final Crisis and Civil War are bought by comic retailers from Diamond and not fans/readers themselves.

Hope so!

Hope so!

You n' me both.

What is disconcerting considering the January sales figures is that outside of this one shot AMS bump, only three other comics broke the 100,000 barrier. Two of those were Final Crisis with the other Dark Avengers. Wouldn't surprise me whatsoever to see all comics move under the 100,000 barrier for the first time ever in the next couple of months...

Jim

That really shouldn't be a surprise, though. Comics are getting too expensive and a lot of editorial decisions have been quite controversial across the board. Lack of marketing towards new readers. A continuance of relying on gimmicks like events and variant covers. Not a good time for comics in general. Could be another 1994/1995 crash again soon.

Thankfully comics are probably strong enough to survive another one, but will the knuckleheads in history learn from this or repeat it again?

Jim

That really shouldn't be a surprise, though. Comics are getting too expensive and a lot of editorial decisions have been quite controversial across the board. Lack of marketing towards new readers. A continuance of relying on gimmicks like events and variant covers. Not a good time for comics in general. Could be another 1994/1995 crash again soon.

Thankfully comics are probably strong enough to survive another one, but will the knuckleheads in history learn from this or repeat it again?

Repeat for the quick dollar. Some things never change.