• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Action 1 5.0 R on ebay looks real

186 posts in this topic

my feeling is if I had a solid buyer of the book that I know from these boards (yes, he might have seen the book on ebay, but he originally saw it from the link in these boards, which to me, means ebay was not the sole source of contact!), and ending the auction saved me $7,000 in fees, and ebay allows me, the seller to end the auction, then sure sounds like a reasonable course of action to follow (shrug)

my feeling is if I had a solid buyer of the book that I know from these boards (yes, he might have seen the book on ebay, but he originally saw it from the link in these boards, which to me, means ebay was not the sole source of contact!), and ending the auction saved me $7,000 in fees, and ebay allows me, the seller to end the auction, then sure sounds like a reasonable course of action to follow (shrug)

As always, the voice of reason.

And if he wasn't from the boards?

I should bite my toungue, but as usual I won't.

Ending an Ebay advertisement of an item for sale or auction, because of "extra" money via a private sale is unethical. You admit that up front. So, therefore there is no debate on that aspect.

Whether it is a breakage of Ebays rules, I am not going to investigate it, but BELIEVE it is, based upon my reading of Ebays rules many years ago. I have not read them recently and they may have changed.

I believe that the crux of this matter is your statement that most or all of us, would have done the same thing for an extra 10 grand.

You are wrong sir. There is at least one who would not have. I am not holier than thou, but I do have to look at myself in the mirror when I shave. I'd like to not have to avert my eyes from making contact with my eyes.

In the big scheme of things, it matters not what you did with your funny book. It is just something to stick our noses into here on this funny book forum. That is the great thing about freedom. Freedom to voice an opinion that someone else doesn't like.

If you feel uncomfortable with what is being said here, it is because what is being said hits the mark. Touches a nerve.

You will move on, a little richer in your bank account, but a little less richer in your reputation.

What is important to you, is not necessarily what is important to someone else. Obviously it is all about the money to you. Some, holier than thou's, like to keep what values and reputations they have, as good as they can keep them.

But none of us are perfect. So good luck with all you do. I, and I am sure several others, will make a note to not bid on any of your auctions in the future ) although a bid was most likely a useless endeavor anyway). That is our perogative. You have the right (unless I am right about Ebays rules) to do the kind of thing that you did.

What is a man if his word means little? Your word to Ebay and your word to bidders on Ebay, apparently mean little.

I can guess who bought it and I am happy for him but pulling auctions it total BS rantrant

I agree.

If you don't like the ebay rules then don't use their venue to pimp your items. I have never pulled an auction though I have had requests to do so. Play by the rules or don't play at all.

Thanks ladies...whats that saying...oh yeah...if ya got anything nice to say dont say anything at all...mind your business and move along

congrats at adding a post digit...someday it might matter to someone

What a charmer. Now that your book sold can you please go back to lurking?

And if he wasn't from the boards?

then I personally would have let the ebay auction run its course, if I felt reasonably comfortable that the high bidder at the time, was a legit buyer...but that is just me...

now, since it was a boardie, I can justify it as a sale that originated not from ebay (therefore, they are not entitled to collect fees from a sale they didn't create) but from this board...

again, that is just me

I don't know Destroyer, and this is NOT a comment on his auction, but I don't think you want to sell the bottom of your feet (sole) its SOUL..;) (just had to mention that;)

As far as being against Ebay's rules, I was selling very expensive basketball tickets for a friend a few years ago. He wanted me to list them on Stub Hub as well, at the same time. I wouldn't do that until I spoke to Ebay, because I didn't want to violate anything, so I called. I was told that it was NOT a violation, as long as I listed in the auction, that, the auction could be ended at any time. I didn't look at this one, to see if that was done, but that was what I was told. They also changed the rules so you could not end within the last 12 hours.

I should bite my toungue, but as usual I won't.

you have every bit as much right as the next member to post your response (thumbs u

Ending an Ebay advertisement of an item for sale or auction, because of "extra" money via a private sale is unethical. You admit that up front. So, therefore there is no debate on that aspect.

having discussed this in person with ben, that was one of the advantages to ending the auction, but the reason he ended it was that he got a solid offer from a fellow boardie... so, no need to transact via ebay...

Whether it is a breakage of Ebays rules, I am not going to investigate it, but BELIEVE it is, based upon my reading of Ebays rules many years ago. I have not read them recently and they may have changed.

now, had the buyer of NOT been a member of the boards, and they contacted ben via the ebay auction (as only source of contact) then yes, it would have violated their rules... but, that was not the case in this sale

I believe that the crux of this matter is your statement that most or all of us, would have done the same thing for an extra 10 grand.

my gut tells me 8 out of 10 would end and save $7000...just a gut feeling...

You are wrong sir. There is at least one who would not have. I am not holier than thou, but I do have to look at myself in the mirror when I shave. I'd like to not have to avert my eyes from making contact with my eyes.

I applaud you, if that is a decision you would make...you have to hold yourself accountable to your level of ethics and morality (which are different for all ), but we all know that we can't always hold others accountable to our standards...just doesn't work that way

In the big scheme of things, it matters not what you did with your funny book. It is just something to stick our noses into here on this funny book forum. That is the great thing about freedom. Freedom to voice an opinion that someone else doesn't like.

(thumbs u

If you feel uncomfortable with what is being said here, it is because what is being said hits the mark. Touches a nerve.

You will move on, a little richer in your bank account, but a little less richer in your reputation.

What is important to you, is not necessarily what is important to someone else. Obviously it is all about the money to you. Some, holier than thou's, like to keep what values and reputations they have, as good as they can keep them.

But none of us are perfect. So good luck with all you do. I, and I am sure several others, will make a note to not bid on any of your auctions in the future ) although a bid was most likely a useless endeavor anyway). That is our perogative. You have the right (unless I am right about Ebays rules) to do the kind of thing that you did.

What is a man if his word means little? Your word to Ebay and your word to bidders on Ebay, apparently mean little.

again, just stating for the record, that having discussed this book with ben ad naseum (yes, I wanted it too, but couldn't justify the cost) ...that if a more legitamate high bidder had of been in the lead on ebay at the time limit to end the auction or let it go, ben would have let it runs its course... but, only ben could see the high bidder, and in my opinion, it was likely a thrill type bidder, that probably would have altered ben's ability to sell the book...so, he did what I probably would have done, and that is take the solid offer of a fellow boardie, and not risk having to deal with the consequences of a transaction that likely would not have seen completion...

Is that like circa de sole ayyy or like filet of soul. Was David Sole starsky or hutch. Does the guy selling sham wow remind anyone else of Vinny from metrop?

This is what you have to say, after what I and others have posted?

I'm at a loss for words. (for the first time in my life).

You win.

Is that like circa de sole ayyy or like filet of soul. Was David Sole starsky or hutch. Does the guy selling sham wow remind anyone else of Vinny from metrop?
man, I gotta say those sham wow are great (thumbs u

Using the phrase, "selling your soul", in context with this situation is just plain ridiculous and has absolutely zero relevance. (tsk)

I don't know Destroyer and I don't think I have ever dealt with him, but this over-exaggerated bashing should cease.

man, I gotta say those sham wow are great (thumbs u

I got them for x-mas as a joke and it must be me but I feel they are malfunctioning!

Perhaps you are correct?

Can you imagine how a discussion on this board would have went if the high bid on the action 1 was your $200,000 bid with 5 minutes to go and the auction was suddenly canceled and you never had a shot at the book?

I can see it now:

"When asked why the auction was canceled Metropolis said that a friend approached them in the last 5 minutes and would pay more than the current bid".

Yep, can you imagine how much publicity they would receive?

Ending the auction early was not cool. I agree. My dancing laughing figure was in reply to another member gloating over the end of my auction he had stated he hoped failed. I can understand everyones negativity on the matter but put in a situation where a foreign purchaser offers an obscene amount of cash only if it ends during the phone call...I'd bet alot of our right wing, morality police, holier than thou members who feel the need to add their opinion no matter if they should mind their own would have done the same. Everyone complaining would certainly give away ten thousand to keep their moral values concerning funny books.

I don't understand what you are saying?

Are you annoyed by the tone of the posters? Who is doing the posting? The fact they are posting? The gremlins used?

I believe, the issue is whether you sold your sole for a few dollars. You admitted that you did so what's left to say? . (shrug)

Man, thats one expensive pair of shoes

Det27Kid: If you had been the high bidder and this book was bought from underneath you, via a phone call the seller got. Seriously, would you be "okay" with it?

I want to know, for the future.

not applicable in this particular case... again, you have to know all the facts and the communications that transpired... the high bidder with hidden feedback (lots of negatives from before ebay blocked sellers from leaving negative if you didn't complete a transaction) had "questionable" motives and didn't respond favorably to Ben (thrill bidder if you will), so his high bid would have been removed (which, in essence, it was)... if the high bidder had of been a legitimate bidder (me, in this instance), ben would have let the auction run its course (as I would have)...

so, this is just another example of folks forming valid opinions that are not always applicable to the situation without knowing all the info...