• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

O'Barr's "The Crow" love
7 7

2,755 posts in this topic

Exclusive – Jack Huston Confirmed as The Crow

-------------------

O’Barr said that “Jack Huston has definitely been cast,” that he was “really happy with that choice,” and that the film “will shoot in a couple of months.” He also said the film will essentially be a straight adaptation of his original graphic novel, which differs quite a bit from the (still awesome) 1994 Brandon Lee vehicle.

Corin Hardy directs the remake of the 1994 Alex Proyas-directed adaptation of the James O’Barr graphic novel The Crow which is about a murdered man who comes back for revenge.

The Cliff Dorfman-scripted pic will go into production in the spring.

-------------------

101091.jpg

Someone was asking about The Crow character and comics, and wasn't this a once-and-done story arc.

LA Times: Interview with James O'Barr (1994)

O'Barr thought so at the time.

O'Barr sees "The Crow" as a completed story that had a definite ending, and he has moved on to other projects.

This was interesting, though.

O'Barr finished the first part of the comic in 1981, after he had left the Marines and returned to Detroit, the city where he had grown up in institutional homes and various foster-care arrangements. "I shopped it around (to publishers), but nobody was interested," he says, adding that he thought the story had little commercial appeal.

Unsure if he would ever sell it, O'Barr continued to write and draw "The Crow" while working at an auto body shop during the day. In late 1988, Caliber Press, a small Detroit-based comics company, started publishing the story, but temporary financial troubles forced it to table the project after putting out four issues. Tundra Publishing, a bigger company, then picked it up, reprinting the Caliber issues in two book-style graphic novels and putting out a third that completed the story in 1992.

So from O'Barr's viewpoint, it was Caliber financial issues that got in the way of Crow 5 being published rather than a falling out with the publisher.

This piece I picked up several years ago as well....

The extra bullets denote when O'barr made changes to the piece for other uses, Cover, Print, T-shirt.

Chris has some beautiful pieces in his collection, that last one your posted James used as a very limited edition t-shirt. Each time he did a pressing, he added an extra bullet he said hanging from Eric's hair. The art you have was for a shirt he made up which I believe he said he did 50 of them and the proceeds went to Brandon's widow. I have one of the shirts, bagged it after I got it over 20 years ago and have never worn it.

Edited by Jugger Grimrod

I have these posted on the net, but since there appears to be a lot of Crow fans in this thread, I figure I would post a few. Quite some years ago James was offering a hardbound sketchbook, full of blank pages for people to draw in, etc. He even offered some on eBay with two-page sketches done in them. I quickly bought one up and decided it was time to start getting other interpretations of The Crow by professionals in the industry. I slowly add to it when time allows, thankfully many of these folks, including James I am pleased to call friends of mine.

Here are a few examples from the sketchbook, hope everyone enjoys...

Bill Sienkiewicz:

32ztnv6.jpg

Tony Moore:

10giwq1.jpg

Ethan Van Sciver:

102tg13.jpg

I can post more if people want, including some other O' Barr commissions from over the years.

Thanks for the kind words guys, here are the rest of the other artist interpretations I have in the sketchbook, I will be adding a few more soon to the book....

James O' Barr (This one starts the sketchbook):

291kpc8.jpg

Tony Daniel:

350uzx3.jpg

David Finch:

2m4ezo2.jpg

Michael Golden:

2rmobcm.jpg

Aaron Lopresti:

1057kb7.jpg

Nat Jones:

24vp5oj.jpg

Timothy Bradstreet:

2a5kodx.jpg

Terry Moore:

sb33ns.jpg

Paul Chadwick:

3163xgh.jpg

Ken Steacy:

5ziedl.jpg

Mike Grell:

3447eh3.jpg

Joseph Michael Linsner:

5a1f2g.jpg

Clayton Crain:

1ih3kp.jpg

David Mack:

jauyk1.jpg

Bernard Chang:

oqau51.jpg

Simon Bisley:

x2j7d1.jpg

Edited by Jugger Grimrod

Lastly here are a few standalone commissions I have had O' Barr do over the years as well.

This one was my very first Crow original commissions from James, I campaigned to get him up here to Seattle for a convention and the organizer finally listened. James was quiet during the show but was an absolute pleasure to talk to. He spoke about the movie which was filming, his cameo, some of the promotional ideas in mind for the marketing campaign as Paramount Pictures was involved and they had made a small temporary tattoo printed up and other things. I then let him work on his commissions. James then came back to my booth with this piece and asked quietly "Is this ok?" and I was speechless. Sadly a few weeks later we lost Brandon during filming. I love this piece..

nyzj1u.jpg

Trying to remember when James did this one, it wasn't that long ago:

bcyz5.jpg

This would probably be the most recent one James had done:

zml0lu.jpg

Edited by Jugger Grimrod

All of the stories I've heard about O'Barr casts him in a great light.

I would like to meet him one day, but have never been to a Con before (I know. Crazy, right?!?)

He is a great guy and really good to his fans too. For your first con, pick a good one, there are plenty out there.

This piece I picked up several years ago as well....

The extra bullets denote when O'barr made changes to the piece for other uses, Cover, Print, T-shirt.

Chris has some beautiful pieces in his collection, that last one your posted James used as a very limited edition t-shirt. Each time he did a pressing, he added an extra bullet he said hanging from Eric's hair. The art you have was for a shirt he made up which I believe he said he did 50 of them and the proceeds went to Brandon's widow. I have one of the shirts, bagged it after I got it over 20 years ago and have never worn it.

James mentioned something like that recently too. First bullet was the cover. Second bullet was either a print or tpb. And three bullets was shirt.

Sup fellas, mind if I join this badass club of yours?

Finally found some Crow books. I've never come across any in the wild before after years of keeping my eyes open for them. I asked the seller to name his price and instantly bought them. It was at a show, and the vendor told me he had JUST sold the #1 to someone for $60 bucks. :ohnoez: Oh well. These will do for now. I'm super happy to have them. and yes they're first prints.

IMAG0216_nx1pv5rs79.jpg

Grats on the pick up!

Thank you, now that I have these I will actively hunt for Caliber books so I can try to complete a set of the books including the Caliber Presents #1 and #15, Christmas and of course #1 and Tundra #3.

Looking forward to the journey ahead.

I have read this entire thread btw, great books and OA everyone I am super impressed (and envious).

Thank you, now that I have these I will actively hunt for Caliber books so I can try to complete a set of the books including the Caliber Presents #1 and #15, Christmas and of course #1 and Tundra #3.

Looking forward to the journey ahead.

I have read this entire thread btw, great books and OA everyone I am super impressed (and envious).

Great luck with the search, and welcome to the discussion. Thanks for sharing the books.