• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Youre Final thoughts on Action # 1 "6.0" Results.

118 posts in this topic

It is the highest price paid for a book coming to auction and it probably isn't even one of the top six books in our hobby. It was auctioned at the depth of a bad recession. It only had two serious bidders on it and it was almost won by a boardie. I'm pretty happy with that.

Im not happy that the SC4 could not make reserve.

Im not happy that I missed out on my grail.

Im not happy that I deleted the three emails on the auction and do not have access to results.

Im not happy that I have an new desire in the hobby that will take my eye off the run I am working on.

Other than that, no complaints.

Am I the only one that was very impressed with this sale... it's hammer price and the way CC handled it?

Six years ago, a CGC 5.5 with OW pages sold at Heritage for $121K. In the interim, everything around us has collapsed or at the very least gone down in value, most of the time considerably. And this books, a 6.0 with CR/OW, sells for $317K!!! :o

We need to be a little realistic here and keep things in perspective. I think this sale was rock solid, very healthy for the market. Any sale price that was much higher or considerably lower would make me think twice as to whether this hobby was healthy.

I have to agree. The economy is in ruins. People are afraid to spend money. And in the middle of it all, a Fine Action 1 sells for over $300k.

I think it was a fantastic result, and a great day for the hobby. I mean, it really was. Any other way to view it is just being contrary in my opinion. I certainly wish Rick would have won it, but heck, the comic got world-wide press and sold for over THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND DOLLARS, and it isn't even high grade.

Good grief, we should all be excited about it.

In mind mind, it was not a disappointment, but not an overly impressive result either.

As George said, it sold for the right price.

It was a disappointment only because of overblown expectations. There are people acting like it's a funeral because the book sold for "only" $317K.

$317K is an excellent price. It's not even a top 5 copy of Action 1, not is it the best Action 1 to be available for sale during the last 5-6 years. Back out the freak $200K price which was (over)paid for the 4.0 copy, and this price is in line with a nice rate of appreciation from previous sales of Action 1 in this grade. The hobby should be celebrating rather than doing a post-mortem.

(worship) (worship)

Dang Tim, if I had read your post before posting my response, I could have saved the finger exercise. Very well said and I agree totally.

:applause:

Am I the only one that was very impressed with this sale... it's hammer price and the way CC handled it?

Six years ago, a CGC 5.5 with OW pages sold at Heritage for $121K. In the interim, everything around us has collapsed or at the very least gone down in value, most of the time considerably. And this books, a 6.0 with CR/OW, sells for $317K!!! :o

We need to be a little realistic here and keep things in perspective. I think this sale was rock solid, very healthy for the market. Any sale price that was much higher or considerably lower would make me think twice as to whether this hobby was healthy.

I have to agree. The economy is in ruins. People are afraid to spend money. And in the middle of it all, a Fine Action 1 sells for over $300k.

I think we all have become numb to huge sale prices and just see them as numbers instead of actual money..

here's a quick story, one of my cousins called me to tell me he heard about the sale on the news, and asked me if I'd heard about it. lol (heard about it ?? now that's funny)

and he asked me if the sale was real, etc. he said who are these people who spend $300k on a comic book! I said, "well I know the underbidder" :grin:

outside of this forum, EVERYONE I talk to is floored by the final price, I've had a few family members tell me about it and they cannot believe the money it went for.

I think overall it's a great result for the hobby.

I think it was a fantastic result, and a great day for the hobby. I mean, it really was. Any other way to view it is just being contrary in my opinion. I certainly wish Rick would have won it, but heck, the comic got world-wide press and sold for over THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND DOLLARS, and it isn't even high grade.

It is a great day for the hobby. The sale of this book is known by more people around the world than of any other comic that has ever sold before it. Well done.

And just as important. We know it is a real sale. There is no doubt.

It is a great day for the hobby. The sale of this book is known by more people around the world than of any other comic that has ever sold before it. Well done.

My only complaint was that there was no attempt to explain grading to the public nor adding the Mile High legend as a cool backstory as to what the top copy might fetch. I like a little education with the news.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

The story made it into the Washington Post.

In mind mind, it was not a disappointment, but not an overly impressive result either.

As George said, it sold for the right price.

It was a disappointment only because of overblown expectations. There are people acting like it's a funeral because the book sold for "only" $317K.

$317K is an excellent price. It's not even a top 5 copy of Action 1, not is it the best Action 1 to be available for sale during the last 5-6 years. Back out the freak $200K price which was (over)paid for the 4.0 copy, and this price is in line with a nice rate of appreciation from previous sales of Action 1 in this grade. The hobby should be celebrating rather than doing a post-mortem.

(worship) (worship)

Dang Tim, if I had read your post before posting my response, I could have saved the finger exercise. Very well said and I agree totally.

:applause:

I agree it's wonderful news for the hobby. Seriously, would the general public have cared whether the book sold for $300,000 or $1 million? Hardly anyone would remember that tomorrow anyway. What really matters is that our hobby and its most prized icon got an almost unseen amount of positive exposure in the mainstream media. This sale must have gotten far more publicity than even GEM ever did.

1) The final hours of bidding were underwhelming, especially the dumb $200 bid increments.

2) The final price was not really surprising to me, but from my firsthand experience, family members and the general public were overwhelmed by the sticker price. Another step of "legitimacy" for our beloved hobby.

3) I was actually depressed that Rick did not land the book after watching his glorious sales thread recently.

My only complaint was that there was no attempt to explain grading to the public nor adding the Mile High legend as a cool backstory as to what the top copy might fetch. I like a little education with the news.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

One thing at a time. Grading is important and if CC is able to generate publicity for their next sale perhaps it will be worth their while to explain the importance of even this low graded copy.

As far as the Church copy goes, I see no reason to bring it into the discussion at all with the public at large. It's important to us, but it's not for sale and really doesn't have a whole of relevance to the messages that are important to get across: Superman and superheroes started with Action 1, comics are cool, and grade matters. 2c

I agree it's wonderful news for the hobby. Seriously, would the general public have cared whether the book sold for $300,000 or $1 million? Hardly anyone would remember that tomorrow anyway.

Well, I think a $1 million sale would have generated REAL headlines. There's something about magic milestone numbers that really grab the public's attention.

It would have been great if the articles had provided a little more background by pointing out that this copy was not even close to being one of the best copies of the book.

I had an -law who compared GA comic collecting to Beanie-Babies. I handed him a Pep 30, in it's Mylar, so he could look at the cover and he casually and automatically tried to roll it up. If it weren't for my lightning reflexes.......