• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does anybody know how much you spend on comics?

53 posts in this topic

My wife tracks all our spending online. Tough to hide anything. Frankly, a good relationship requires honesty. :cry:

:gossip: However....., you should be trying for a great relationship! :grin:

My dad has a rough idea of how much the stuff I have is worth although he has no idea how much I spend on them.

My wife sat down a few months ago and went through old bank statements and told me I was spending over $1,000 a month on comics - I got the feeling she wasn't too happy about it. So yeah she has an idea (an informed idea) of how much I spend.

Nobody else knows as I know I would get a lot of grief for spending thousands of £££s on funny books. Not that I can't take it, but I just don't see why anybody has the right to person_without_enough_empathy at me for spending my money how I want. A guy at work keeps laughing at me buying comics for big money, yet he plays golf all the time and probably spends $1,000 a month on that with nothing to show for it at the end. At least comic books are liquidisable assets.

I especially enjoy telling people outside the hobby how much I spend on comics. Like the bank teller when I'm withdrawing an ample sum to close on my latest book. I'll smile + say, "You know what I'm going to spend that on?" When I tell her on a comic, the sheer terror + incomprehensible horror etched on her face are just priceless!!!! :roflmao::banana:lol:insane: Besides, its your money + eff all the haters!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :sumo:

My monthly average was $300 - $500 for almost a year......but I've recently cut back in order to turn the electricity back on. :grin:

Ok Ok..I guess I'll cut down a bit.. my kid is tired of eating cereal with faucet water.. and making lettuce sandwiches because we never have any bread..but, on a good note, I am doing well on comics.. :roflmao:

My wife tracks all our spending online. Tough to hide anything. Frankly, a good relationship requires honesty. :cry:

:gossip: However....., you should be trying for a great relationship! :grin:

Good advice. I invited her to go with me to SDCC. (shrug)

:signfunny:

My dad has a rough idea of how much the stuff I have is worth although he has no idea how much I spend on them.

My wife sat down a few months ago and went through old bank statements and told me I was spending over $1,000 a month on comics - I got the feeling she wasn't too happy about it. So yeah she has an idea (an informed idea) of how much I spend.

Nobody else knows as I know I would get a lot of grief for spending thousands of £££s on funny books. Not that I can't take it, but I just don't see why anybody has the right to person_without_enough_empathy at me for spending my money how I want. A guy at work keeps laughing at me buying comics for big money, yet he plays golf all the time and probably spends $1,000 a month on that with nothing to show for it at the end. At least comic books are liquidisable assets.

I especially enjoy telling people outside the hobby how much I spend on comics. Like the bank teller when I'm withdrawing an ample sum to close on my latest book. I'll smile + say, "You know what I'm going to spend that on?" When I tell her on a comic, the sheer terror + incomprehensible horror etched on her face are just priceless!!!! :roflmao::banana:lol:insane: Besides, its your money + eff all the haters!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :sumo:

You are hardcore! :o

The only other people that I think have an idea of how much my wife and I spend on our hobbies are the people at the post office. They know my wife and I well. They give us messages from other people we know in the city we live in and they always have our packages waiting for us when we get up to the counter. I asked them once if anybody got more packages in the mail than us and they said no. Only a jewelry salesman named Curly apparently comes close and he runs a business.

Richie: No wonder we get along so well. My favourite bank teller doesn't even ask me any more what all the MO's are for. She was shocked the first time when I asked for a five figure money order, and she asked me if the comic was still in it's plastic bag :roflmao: Now when she preps a MO for 3k or 5k etc she doesn't even bat an eye. As for the rest of my family and friends they all know what I own and the value. My wife always wants to see my books when they arrive, and as long as she doesn't get a call from a collection agency she is pleased as punch. The only time I ever asked her for her opinion when buying a book was on a 35k MMC #5, and her response was wouldn't you rather have 3, twelve thousand dollar books? :cloud9:

Jim