• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Taking off those rose-colored glasses...

22 posts in this topic

Whenever I get a new comic in the mail, I am normally too excited to notice any defects. The same goes for seeing a cover I love in hand, it is difficult for me to be objective about the condition. I used to believe that I abused my comics during the first read but I am discovering that I am suffering from rose-colored glass syndrome

Not that I am really a HG collector or anything but does this happen to anyone else? If so, what do you do to prevent overspending on a grade that you thought was higher?

After years of paying NM prices for VF or worse comics I learned to take my time grading comics I was considering buying. I take the time to remove the book from its bag, count pages, check the centerfold, examine the back cover and generally grade the book with skepticism. Grade the book like it is a hot babe and look for the padded bra.

After years of paying NM prices for VF or worse comics I learned to take my time grading comics I was considering buying. I take the time to remove the book from its bag, count pages, check the centerfold, examine the back cover and generally grade the book with skepticism. Grade the book like it is a hot babe and look for the padded bra.

Just don't forget to do a sausage hunt, as well. That will ruin your weekend. :gossip:

:gossip: A padded bra is not a deal killer for me...There are worse defects than that

a) Major restoration :cry:

b) UNDISCLOSED pieces ADDED (or REMOVED from it's original state) :sick:

c) Moisture damage

d) Foxing

And the fake boobs...

And the lipo/lift scars....

And the liver spots on the hands....

And the hidden male anatomy........

:gossip: A padded bra is not a deal killer for me...There are worse defects than that

a) Major restoration :cry:

b) UNDISCLOSED pieces ADDED (or REMOVED from it's original state) :sick:

c) Moisture damage

d) Foxing

Tape :gossip:

I'm typically the opposite when I buy. Always disappointed when I receive the book, only to have it become more appealing after a day or two.

The only time I am disappointed by a book is when some type of damage is not disclosed like rusty staples or water damage. Generally I am happy to please.

I am curious as to why you are disappointed initially?

I'm typically the opposite when I buy. Always disappointed when I receive the book, only to have it become more appealing after a day or two.

I agree my initial reaction is typically bad and after further review I lighten up some. This may be an eBay fueled reaction VG is the new NM. I must say I am always pleasantly surprised on board purchases.

You'll laugh...maybe not...but I've seen dealers actually get PIZZED when they see you really inspecting the book. It's almost like they're trying to hide something and they know that ...DANM! NOW you're going to find it!

I've seen dealers get pizzed when they saw someone closely inspecting a book they were considering at someone ELSES table!

And yes, to a degree, even if it's in the dollar box.

My favorite was Crazy Eddie (you know, that fast talking car dealer of a comic sales man that everyone sees at every east coast show..?)

I wanted to upgrade my Dr. Strange #1, so I asked to see his copy on his wall.

This was at the Baltimore show. So he pulls it down, starts to tell me how BEAUTIFUL the book is and he's practically giving it away for that low price of $80 or whatever he had on it...and this book was a VF at best, MAYBE a VF+

So I respectfully declined and said I was hoping to upgrade my copy at home.

And Crazy Eddie just could not belive that I owned a better copy.

"Wait a minute...you mean to tell me that you have a nicer copy then THIS...at home? C'mon, really?"

Ed...dude...half the collecting world has a better copy then what you showed me.

But it's that kind of hard sell that turns you off forever to a dealer, and then of course you tell your friends, and blah blah.

But yes...my raw copy is a 9.2 NM and yes...I'm looking for a 9.6 or heaven forbid, better. I'm no way paying NM- prices for a VF book, Ed.

I lean in this direction too. I spot all the defects right off, and only later relax and take in the book as a whole.

hm There have been times when I'll buy a book thinking I'm getting either a GD or maybe a solid GD- only to find that it would only get a FR :sorry: But, I typically only buy from people I know or people on the boards so I haven't had too many problems.

And most of the LCSs I've been to know I like to inspect books thoroughly.... and dealers at the local show haven't had any real problems either. BUT I have seen some dealers as you mentioned Rich that act bothered by my not trusting their grading by looking on my own (and :o finding a 1/3 of the interior clipped out! So much for VG+ lol )

You'll laugh...maybe not...but I've seen dealers actually get PIZZED when they see you really inspecting the book. It's almost like they're trying to hide something and they know that ...DANM! NOW you're going to find it!

I've seen dealers get pizzed when they saw someone closely inspecting a book they were considering at someone ELSES table!

My favorite was Crazy Eddie (you know, that fast talking car dealer of a comic sales man that everyone sees at every east coast show..?)

This was at the Baltimore show. So he pulls it down, starts to tell me how BEAUTIFUL the book is and he's practically giving it away for that low price of $80 or whatever he had on it...and this book was a VF at best, MAYBE a VF+

"Wait a minute...you mean to tell me that you have a nicer copy then THIS...at home? C'mon, really?"

Ed...dude...half the collecting world has a better copy then what you showed me.

But it's that kind of hard sell that turns you off forever to a dealer, and then of course you tell your friends, and blah blah.

But yes...my raw copy is a 9.2 NM and yes...I'm looking for a 9.6 or heaven forbid, better. I'm no way paying NM- prices for a VF book, Ed.

I can understand a dealer's viewpoint. Every person that bangs through their boxes or inspects a book may cause a small amount of wear or damage. I sold at a local show for the first time and it was tough watching how people handled my books for sale. I do understand that it is impossible to sell books without letting people looking at them but I wonder how many NM books have turned into VF or worse thanks to careless collectors.

I can understand a dealer's viewpoint. Every person that bangs through their boxes or inspects a book may cause a small amount of wear or damage. I sold at a local show for the first time and it was tough watching how people handled my books for sale. I do understand that it is impossible to sell books without letting people looking at them but I wonder how many NM books have turned into VF or worse thanks to careless collectors.

This is indeed a fine line to walk...I like to thoroughly inspect raw books before I buy them (if you're plunking down $$$ for some folded and stapled sheets of paper you better be happy with what you're getting), but also understand that I am inspecting someone else's comic...

Should I ever damage a dealer's book while inspecting it (hasn't happened yet) I'd bring it to their attention and accept the consequences...