• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show me your Timely's and I'll show you mine. Have a Cigar...
30 30

23,084 posts in this topic

I hope I didn't come off as anti-Batman. Obviously there are some great Batman covers. Pick any of the pre-Robin Detectives, most of the first twenty Batman (particularly #11), and various later issues of Detective (#70 comes to mind). But when you are talking about the repetition of Schomburg covers on Timely comics, at least they are repetitiously good. All I was saying is that for every good Batman or Superman cover there are plenty of goofy ones. The goofy Timely covers are few and far between.

The goofy Timely covers are few and far between.

Same with Nedors. Even the Commando Cubs, who seem like a ripe target for goofiness, are handled as straight as the "adult" heroes.

I hope I didn't come off as anti-Batman. Obviously there are some great Batman covers. Pick any of the pre-Robin Detectives, most of the first twenty Batman (particularly #11), and various later issues of Detective (#70 comes to mind). But when you are talking about the repetition of Schomburg covers on Timely comics, at least they are repetitiously good. All I was saying is that for every good Batman or Superman cover there are plenty of goofy ones. The goofy Timely covers are few and far between.

Okay. I've prepared my response.

The Detective comics have a very different feel than Schomburg Marvel Mystery comics. Detective is crime magazine so a lot of the covers have a darker, noirish look with a criminal theme. Often with only a few well-drawn central elements in them.

Whereas Schomburg's Marvel Mystery covers have a "Hey Look at Me!" attention-whore, shoe-horn everything in including the kitchen sink, and paint it bright red sort of look.

Like I said, a very different feel. Less goofy perhaps, but not necessarily better. And quite repititious compared to the variety from month-to-month in Detective comics.

Okay. I've prepared my response.

The Detective comics have a very different feel than Schomburg Marvel Mystery comics. Detective is crime magazine so a lot of the covers have a darker, noirish look with a criminal theme. Often with only a few well-drawn central elements in them.

Whereas Schomburg's Marvel Mystery covers have a "Hey Look at Me!" attention-whore, shoe-horn everything in including the kitchen sink, and paint it bright red sort of look.

Like I said, a very different feel. Less goofy perhaps, but not necessarily better. And quite repititious compared to the variety from month-to-month in Detective comics.

Norinn,

Well said! One of the great things about comics is the infinite different approaches the publishers used to attract an audience. National's approach worked for them very well during that time (40's and '50's). Timely took a much wilder path. My sensibilities run more towards the Timely method and that's why I collect them in runs, whereas I mainly pick up DC on cover appeal.

I love Schomburg - but have to agree about his war covers in particular - 90% of them have a "I've seen this before" quality to them. This goes a long way to explaining why the 10% that don't - Classic Hitler/Zeppelin/Burnt Arm etc. covers go for increasingly large multiples of surrounding books, in any grade.

I love Schomburg - but have to agree about his war covers in particular - 90% of them have a "I've seen this before" quality to them. This goes a long way to explaining why the 10% that don't - Classic Hitler/Zeppelin/Burnt Arm etc. covers go for increasingly large multiples of surrounding books, in any grade.

You know, I must have seen a thousand Bettie Page pin-ups or Olivia prints...and though there is a certain repetitive quality to them, oddly enough I never get tired of those either.

Same basic principle with Schomburg covers. Great art is great art.

Schomburg rocks. Period.

Schomburg rocks. Period.

Jive, I couldn't agree more, bro! headbang.gif Another great Timely Schomburg cover just picked up on Comiclink...

488395957_151b58ea58_o.jpg

As a sequel to his famous "burnt arm" image from HT#12, Schomburg here presents "burnt hair" 27_laughing.gif

GE

Schomburg rocks. Period.

Jive, I couldn't agree more, bro! headbang.gif Another great Timely Schomburg cover just picked up on Comiclink...

488395957_151b58ea58_o.jpg

As a sequel to his famous "burnt arm" image from HT#12, Schomburg here presents "burnt hair" 27_laughing.gif

GE

Wow, GE, it is so repetitiously GREAT! Just like all the other Schomburg covers.

I have posted this in other threads but sumo.gif

HT12cgc6.jpg

The colors on this are practically bursting out of the slab! Beautiful book Surfer.

The colors on this are practically bursting out of the slab! Beautiful book Surfer.

Yeah but they even put the boots to the PQ which I thought was OW/WP's for sure. Still very happy to own this copy and I will call for the graders notes because it feels like I was in a hit and run.

You got Jacked brotha, I can't see that book being anything other than 8.0 unless there is some hidden defects..... Even with off-white pages, which in my book are great.....a 6.0 seems like your express grading got exactly that...expressed right through...I would call, and talk with someone and have them explain why this book is only a 6.0! I mean if thats the grade there should be a reason, and if not then they need to regrade this book!!!

I also don't care what the grade says, I have not seen a better copy yet!!! Sorry Rich!

Paul

I have posted this in other threads but sumo.gif

HT12cgc6.jpg

any chance the "9" got flipped into the "6" position by accident? about the un6.0'ish looking book i've seen.