• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show me your Timely's and I'll show you mine. Have a Cigar...
30 30

23,082 posts in this topic

On 5/16/2024 at 7:44 PM, plady69 said:

Wasn’t there a “rat chew” thread on the boards?  This would be a candidate!

On 5/16/2024 at 5:49 PM, Robot Man said:

Mile Low sidebar. Couldn't leave it for a buck at the flea market...

commystic3.jpeg

OMG - a buck! Amazing!!!

On 5/17/2024 at 12:29 PM, Silver Surfer said:

I still can’t believe that the 9.4 Cicorel (sp?) copy only sold for just $100K a few years back. 

Yes, 15 years ago this month on HA

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/superhero/marvel-mystery-comics-9-timely-1940-cgc-nm-94-off-white-pages/a/7007-91044.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

On 5/17/2024 at 5:37 PM, Silver Surfer said:

OMG has it been that long ago. :whatthe: It’s such a unicorn, one of the best covers/issues of its era. Ben what do you figure it would sell for today?

Maybe $300k+….?

On 5/17/2024 at 12:49 AM, Mike Bromberg said:

OMG - a buck! Amazing!!!

The lady had a small stack of magazines and comics from this era. All rat chewed. Many far worse than this. This was about the best of the bunch and the only one I still have. 

On 5/17/2024 at 10:34 AM, Primetime said:

Today, May 17, marks the 🎂84th anniversary 🎂 of the newsstand release of my favorite Timely, Marvel Mystery 9. I have fond memories of acquiring my first copy back in 1997 from Ted Van Liew @Superworld

Here are the five copies I have owned/own since 1997. Schomburg depth art in full display with the elevated train tracks and civilian crowd in the background about to witness the pending titanic battle 🔥💪🏾💧 The bolts busting loose from the girders from Subby’s iron grip always grabbed me. This is the best Subby pose on a Timely for me, and a big ticket 🎟️ Timely for the old school collectors @Ameri@Tsp99
@VintageComics

IMG_7664.jpeg

IMG_0197.jpeg

IMG_1234.jpeg

IMG_8239.jpeg

IMG_2139.jpeg

One of my favorite Marvel Mystery issues! Way back in the early ‘70’s I got a single front cover from a friend. Amazingly, I found a coverless copy in The Buyer’s Guide which I bought. But I was a struggling college student and had to sell it. I have always regretted it and was never able to get another. So if someone has a copy with a nice detached fc and no bc, it might be my old copy…

On 5/18/2024 at 7:31 AM, Robot Man said:

One of my favorite Marvel Mystery issues! Way back in the early ‘70’s I got a single front cover from a friend. Amazingly, I found a coverless copy in The Buyer’s Guide which I bought. But I was a struggling college student and had to sell it. I have always regretted it and was never able to get another. So if someone has a copy with a nice detached fc and no bc, it might be my old copy…

The third copy I posted (raw) was such - missing BC but had the FC attached. I got it from Terry O’Neill around 2007-08. 

On 5/18/2024 at 9:23 AM, MrBedrock said:

mystic1.jpg

mystic2.jpg

mystic3.jpg

mystic4.jpg

mystic5.jpg

mystic6.jpg

mystic7.jpg

Richard would love to hear the back story on how you acquired the 9.4 copies. I’m assuming many moons ago? Did someone walk into your shop one day, from a collection?

Posted (edited)
On 5/19/2024 at 9:42 PM, podboy66 said:

Love the MM 9’s, here’s mine

IMG_4256.jpeg

MM #9 is a very tough book and an all time classic! (worship) ...for everyone's copies!

The issues preceding it (MM #7 & 8) are essential in setting up this epic battle and of course the conclusion of the first battle in MM #10 is definitely the meringue on this pie (alas, I don't own #9 or 10). For instance, in the lead-up both the Human Torch story and Sub-Mariner story provide situations leading to the inevitable clash and the elevated train featured on Schomburg's cover of MM #9 is derailed by Sub-Mariner in his story in MM #7 before the Torch arrives.  Issue #8 has their first direct combat with the HT repairing the derailed elevated train having arrived too late to stop the Sub-Mariner.  Both Burgos and Everett stories are devoted to the Sub-Mariner's rampage in NYC.

b3ad9eb9-297b-4a13-a719-b4181eb10f42_zpskdr1zpgi.jpeg.b078ca5663461a4765d8f238a12c96f8.jpeg

Spoiler

4403d71f-cc7e-4fd8-b15d-513238c4ce7a_zpsfcd0876e.jpeg.b844a6c265d7a47d956cb8777cf6ddaa.jpeg

edited-image_zpsjh9vt4xj.jpeg.84e980360751c8c8bb7cf50e23bbbb8b.jpeg

Spoiler

edited-image_zpsogdpsg6j.thumb.jpeg.6fd2c59c33f47c3b8c29d3fa1b8fc93c.jpeg

Luv all the Marvel Mystery battle books! :luhv: 

:cheers:

Edited by Cat-Man_America
Ale, in the spirit of these fine books!

On 5/18/2024 at 11:23 AM, MrBedrock said:

mystic6.jpg

mystic7.jpg

Peter asked for some backstory on these two books. They were part of a Timely lot in the second Sotheby's auction in the early '90's. There were a few other books in the lot - a really nice Amazing Comics #1, a vg Young Allies issue and something else that I can't remember. The lot didn't hit reserve in the auction and was unsold. Jerry Weist, who was overseeing the event, knew I collected Timelys and gave me a call to see if I was interested. I said I was. He said he wasn't allowed to say what the reserve was but I could make an offer. "$1200?" "That a few hundred short and won't quite do it." "$1500?" "That will do it!" 

On 5/20/2024 at 2:27 PM, MrBedrock said:

Peter asked for some backstory on these two books. They were part of a Timely lot in the second Sotheby's auction in the early '90's. There were a few other books in the lot - a really nice Amazing Comics #1, a vg Young Allies issue and something else that I can't remember. The lot didn't hit reserve in the auction and was unsold. Jerry Weist, who was overseeing the event, knew I collected Timelys and gave me a call to see if I was interested. I said I was. He said he wasn't allowed to say what the reserve was but I could make an offer. "$1200?" "That a few hundred short and won't quite do it." "$1500?" "That will do it!" 

Evidently the second Sotheby's sale was a downer with respect to GA. 

Lot after lot of Church copies failed to reach reserve at 2x Guide.  Berk attended the sale and said that he was too scared at the time to bid, but did go back to Geppi afterwards to see if he could purchase some that he consigned.  The answer was "yes", but it was going to cost more than double Guide.  Berk worked out a deal and kick-started his accumulation of Church copies.