• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show me your Timely's and I'll show you mine. Have a Cigar...
30 30

23,018 posts in this topic

On 6/5/2021 at 2:48 PM, Subby1938 said:

Innocent question here looking for some feedback . I realize that incomplete books are not desirable compared to complete . How do collectors feel about getting cgc 0.5 blue label incomplete if it’s a htf book and has a great cover ? 

It’s getting tough to find WW2 covers for a decent price and if you have a chance at a great cover but it’s a 0.5 do you go for it ? Curious on how people feel about both investment part and the collectability of it . 

thanks 

Here’s a “Things I wish I knew about .5s and the “parts game” of incomplete GA comic collecting.  

I’ll buy .5s on a very rare book, but it depends on the price. Over time I’ve seen how long it can take for parts of books to come up (Some perhaps never.. ) and the difficulties of marrying even the likeliest of candidates, so now I’ll only buy incompletes if I’m ok with never finding the parts.  

If you have the time and $ to play the parts game and complete many key books it could be profitable, but it could also take a long time.  You’d do better by parking key pieces at high buy it now prices on  ebay if you can wait years.

Collectors have a much better success in finding parts if they flood all the WTBs with what they’re looking for, but then you’ll be price gouged HARD.  When the seller knows you’re completing your book they’ll rob you.  Also, competition for that back cover, or CF etc can be quite insane.  

For example if someone wants to complete their… Batman #1 to sell, they might be willing to spend upwards of 1/2 or more of the FMV of a 4.0 qualified of said book just to get their’s complete and 4sale asap.  

Other times incompletes go unnoticed on auction and sell dirt cheap.  Most who know GA understand and value CFs, certain wraps, and back covers of key books.

Certain pieces are more in demand than others for various reasons, Marvel #1 back covers, Action comics #13 centerfolds, Suspense 3 CFs, unique back covers etc.

All that, aside, it can be a fun hunt as well, and very satisfying to research and eventually complete a book as well.

Probably more than you ever wanted to know about the parts game, but hopefully this helps you out.  

This back cover from Batman 1 sold on heritage for 11K . I know earlier this year a copy selling for 55K was missing back cover . I’m this instance I’m sure someone was trying to marry this rare book. 

I’m just trying to finish my run and money is becoming an issue with this rare old stuff . I’ll have to make decisions but I’m def not collecting scrap pieces I just wanted to know if buying a rare WW2 comic incomplete but with a cool cover graded was worth it as is?

B5125D08-A2C5-4199-9439-760DD823A598.png

On 6/20/2021 at 9:30 AM, Subby1938 said:

This back cover from Batman 1 sold on heritage for 11K . I know earlier this year a copy selling for 55K was missing back cover . I’m this instance I’m sure someone was trying to marry this rare book. 

I’m just trying to finish my run and money is becoming an issue with this rare old stuff . I’ll have to make decisions but I’m def not collecting scrap pieces I just wanted to know if buying a rare WW2 comic incomplete but with a cool cover graded was worth it as is?

B5125D08-A2C5-4199-9439-760DD823A598.png

If you had asked me 10 years ago I would have said low value movement so I would focus on snagging a restored copy to have one but now these scraps and individual pages are going for pretty high prices and I suspect will continue going up given the majority of collectors are priced out of buying complete copies, even restored.

Hi all,

Here's my updated Want List, which as you can see is heavily Timely. I'm posting in the WTB section, of course, but also wanted to post it here, since you're all Timely folks.

Main wants: All Select #1 and 4, Captain America #28 and 33, Marvel Mystery #63 (and 52), and Namora #3.

Thanks! Mike

Gold Want List - TOP Wants 13 md.jpg