• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show me your Timely's and I'll show you mine. Have a Cigar...
30 30

23,019 posts in this topic

On 9/23/2021 at 11:16 AM, sartrexpress said:

Considered one of the toughest Timelys . Although I would consider Cap 74 the hardest of the super hero Timelys in any grade. Thoughts?

USA 11 9.4 .jpg

As far as HIGH grade goes, it's my experience that Human Torch #32 is far and away the hardest to find in high grade. Yes, the Promise Collection yielded a beautiful 9.6, but beyond that, the Universal census drops all the way down to a lone 7.0, then a pair of 6.0s. I can't remember if John ever told me of the condition of the Church copy. It's likely high grade, but HOW high grade, I cannot say. USA #11 IS very difficult to find in high grade as well, but with a 9.4, a pair of 9.2s, an 8.5 and a pair of 8.0s, there are a half dozen of what most consider high grade out there.

Edited by Frisco Larson

On 9/23/2021 at 10:26 AM, Frisco Larson said:

As far as HIGH grade goes, it's my experience that Human Torch #32 is far and away the hardest to find in high grade. Yes, the Promise Collection yielded a beautiful 9.6, but beyond that, the Universal census drops all the way down to a lone 7.0, then a pair of 6.0s. I can't remember if John ever told me of the condition of the Church copy. It's likely high grade, but HOW high grade, I cannot say. USA #11 IS very difficult to find in high grade as well, but with a 9.4, a pair of 9.2s, an 8.5 and a pair of 8.0s, there are a half dozen of what most consider high grade out there.

How about Subby 32? - two 8.5 as highest grade (MH and Okijima).  Promise was a 7.0

Or Subby 31 -  one 8.5 (Promise) then a 6.0

Edited by podboy66

On 9/23/2021 at 11:38 AM, podboy66 said:

How about Subby 32? - two 8.5 as highest grade (MH and Okijima).  Promise was a 7.0

You're right on Vern, that's a rare (and extremely COOL) comic book, for sure! Although, the Subby does have 3 in 7.5 and 4 in 7.0, while the Torch only has the one copy in 7.0. Either way, I'm sure we can all agree that there aren't nearly enough nice copies to go around! I've been searching for a decent Torch #32 since the 90s and the Promise copy is the only one I've seen and that was just a few months ago. The big spender who purchased the Torch #32 paid a lot, but really ... there's nothing else remotely CLOSE to it condition wise, so savvy move I say, you know, if you've got kind of loot laying around.  lol

On 9/23/2021 at 11:38 AM, podboy66 said:

Or Subby 31 -  one 8.5 (Promise) then a 6.0

Yeah, that #31 IS rare! A low grade copy was all that I've ever owned of that issue. It wasn't a cover that I cared much for, so I didn't have any strong desire to upgrade. I WOULD'VE if I'd have seen one, but I never did. 

On 9/23/2021 at 12:30 PM, Frisco Larson said:

@sartrexpress By the way, GREAT scores on the Larson Subby #1 and the Promise USA #11  :applause: Both are beauties for sure!!!  (thumbsu

Thanks...Funny... I bought the Promise Torch 32 and the 28... skipped on the MM's ... I would agree the 32 is extremely scarce, the USA 11 was once thought to be the rarest of Timelys but not so much as it was once  thought. Still I think Cap 74 has not yielded on the census.  I Would agree that some of those late Subby's are impossible also.  

On 9/23/2021 at 12:41 PM, sartrexpress said:

Thanks...Funny... I bought the Promise Torch 32 and the 28... skipped on the MM's ... I would agree the 32 is extremely scarce, the USA 11 was once thought to be the rarest of Timelys but not so much as it was once  thought. Still I think Cap 74 has not yielded on the census.  I Would agree that some of those late Subby's are impossible also.  

Congratulations on securing the Torch 32 and 28!!! I meant it when I said that it was a lot of money, but for what it IS, it's worth it!!! Odds are that yours is the best copy forever!!! In Timely, that's saying an awful lot!!! A lot of the Marvel Mystery issues that I saw were around the 8s grade (which are nice) and not terribly impressive compared to many Chicago copies, Friscos, Larsons, Crippens and others that are VERY high grade. Most of the mid run and later Marvel Mystery issues have multiple high grade copies. I think you read the terrain and played it perfectly!!! (thumbsu

On 9/23/2021 at 4:02 PM, Frisco Larson said:

Congratulations on securing the Torch 32 and 28!!! I meant it when I said that it was a lot of money, but for what it IS, it's worth it!!! Odds are that yours is the best copy forever!!! In Timely, that's saying an awful lot!!! A lot of the Marvel Mystery issues that I saw were around the 8s grade (which are nice) and not terribly impressive compared to many Chicago copies, Friscos, Larsons, Crippens and others that are VERY high grade. Most of the mid run and later Marvel Mystery issues have multiple high grade copies. I think you read the terrain and played it perfectly!!! (thumbsu

I'll post it once in hand..Thanks for your comments. Its not hard to observe which issues are toughest when you have been collecting Timely's for over 35 years. The black holes appear on their own... LOL

On 9/23/2021 at 5:11 PM, sartrexpress said:

I'll post it once in hand..Thanks for your comments. Its not hard to observe which issues are toughest when you have been collecting Timely's for over 35 years. The black holes appear on their own... LOL

You're more than welcome! I love to talk Timely books. Yeah, time tells the tale where rarity is concerned. I'll look forward to seeing them. It's always fun to see you post pics. It's incredible the books that you've been able to assemble and seeing them in those group shots is unbelievable!!! A real time capsule of Timely!!!  (thumbsu

On 9/23/2021 at 9:16 AM, sartrexpress said:

Considered one of the toughest Timelys . Although I would consider Cap 74 the hardest of the super hero Timelys in any grade. Thoughts?

USA 11 9.4 .jpg

USA 11 is semi tough. USA 8 is much tougher with a Schomburg cover (thumbsu

Edited by Primetime