• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show me your Timely's and I'll show you mine. Have a Cigar...
30 30

23,079 posts in this topic

On 10/10/2022 at 12:15 AM, Mike Bromberg said:

If I can only have one comic book (God forbid!)… Yeah, maybe it would be this one.

11D59D44-09F6-4E94-8F62-C201610BBF17.jpeg

Mos def. And that’s a good looking copy.

I love the way the action draws your eye in a circular fashion around the cover. And the background scene looks straight out of Saving Private Ryan

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

On 10/9/2022 at 10:55 PM, Cat-Man_America said:

Bucky would probably agree with you. He doesn't think of himself as a minor, preferring the vertically challenged sidekick designation. :Rocket:

I collect DC's but don't Bucky look smaller than he does in the movies :devil:

On 10/10/2022 at 4:20 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Mos def. And that’s a good looking copy.

I love the way the action draws your eye in a circular fashion around the cover. And the background scene looks straight out of Saving Private Ryan

Absolutely on the composition of this – the “X” makes it all happen. The detail in the back is astounding. And jeez, calmly tossing a bomb like that is classic.

I specialize in books that look better than grade. All this has is a detached cover, otherwise it would grade much higher. That’s not a defect I care about.

On 10/10/2022 at 5:09 PM, Mike Bromberg said:

Absolutely on the composition of this – the “X” makes it all happen. The detail in the back is astounding. And jeez, calmly tossing a bomb like that is classic.

I specialize in books that look better than grade. All this has is a detached cover, otherwise it would grade much higher. That’s not a defect I care about.

I fully agree. And especially if it is a slab. You would never know if they didn’t tell you. Slabbed books you are buying the cover image. That Cap is a beauty. I still prefer my raw copies. I like the whole piece of cake not just the frosting…

On 10/14/2022 at 8:01 AM, Robot Man said:

I fully agree. And especially if it is a slab. You would never know if they didn’t tell you. Slabbed books you are buying the cover image. That Cap is a beauty. I still prefer my raw copies. I like the whole piece of cake not just the frosting…

I mostly agree. Of maybe 2,000 comics, under 100 are slabbed. On major items I always get slabbed to make sure there's no resto. Plenty of books I've busted out over the years, which is kinda fun.

I have some raw Timelys, and enjoy them, but like many golden age comics, a lot of the stories are just kinda ok – so I'm good with most of mine being slabbed. I've gotten to the point where it's like having artwork framed - esp the busy Schomburg covers. I can just stare at them and get lost in all the action and detail.

On 10/15/2022 at 1:42 AM, Mike Bromberg said:

I mostly agree. Of maybe 2,000 comics, under 100 are slabbed. On major items I always get slabbed to make sure there's no resto. Plenty of books I've busted out over the years, which is kinda fun.

I have some raw Timelys, and enjoy them, but like many golden age comics, a lot of the stories are just kinda ok – so I'm good with most of mine being slabbed. I've gotten to the point where it's like having artwork framed - esp the busy Schomburg covers. I can just stare at them and get lost in all the action and detail.

I have over 7500 comics and only 400 or so are slabbed. Most of these are worth more slabbed and I am getting to the age that I have to start thinking about how people will dispose of my collection after I am gone. Much easier for them to get the most out of the valuable comics if they are graded. If I want to read them, I can almost always find a copy online to read. Alternately, I do have a few low-grade duplicates of my favorites.  :devil:

On 10/15/2022 at 10:42 AM, Badger said:

I have over 7500 comics and only 400 or so are slabbed. Most of these are worth more slabbed and I am getting to the age that I have to start thinking about how people will dispose of my collection after I am gone. Much easier for them to get the most out of the valuable comics if they are graded. If I want to read them, I can almost always find a copy online to read. Alternately, I do have a few low-grade duplicates of my favorites.  :devil:

The cost of slabbing continues to rise at a pace that tempts me to send some stuff in.  OTOH, if you're planning on selling via a 2nd party you can at least deduct the cost from your sales.  But the biggest problem with slabs is that they take up SO much more room.  

On 10/15/2022 at 3:44 PM, buttock said:

The cost of slabbing continues to rise at a pace that tempts me to send some stuff in.  OTOH, if you're planning on selling via a 2nd party you can at least deduct the cost from your sales.  But the biggest problem with slabs is that they take up SO much more room.  

OMG, totally! Really hate that part! Now storage is more of an issue.

Some of my slabbing has been done if a book is brittle, or if I want to sell it, but much has been done to establish value.

I'll sometimes get beat up copies to read, or coverless, to have the experience of actually reading the comic. Other times I'm good with early Marvel Tales and Marvel Collectors Item Classics. (Modern reprints on bright shiny paper I'm not so into, although I have some of the facsimile ones, where they have the ads and letters pages and all that)

On 10/15/2022 at 5:44 PM, buttock said:

Yes! Yes they do! Drives me crazy sometimes.