• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show me your Timely's and I'll show you mine. Have a Cigar...
30 30

23,079 posts in this topic

On 10/16/2022 at 11:24 PM, Cat-Man_America said:

Just think of the space required for keeping slabbed books as a means of keeping the GA collecting habit ($$$) in check.  lol 

That is exactly what defines the limits of our collection.  We have physical space for 32 short boxes so the rule is if something goes in then something of equal volume (not value) has to come out.  It doesn't exactly keep the GA dollars in check, but it does generally prevent "scope creep".

On 10/16/2022 at 11:24 PM, Cat-Man_America said:

Just think of the space required for keeping slabbed books as a means of keeping the GA collecting habit ($$$) in check.  lol 

Its the ($$$$) that keeps the GA collecting in check. lol Prices today are crazy. 

On 10/20/2022 at 2:29 PM, MrBedrock said:

Decided to have CGC reholder my copies of the Marvel Mystery issues under 20. Just got back the last few...

mm2.jpg

mm3.jpg

mm4.jpg

mm5.jpg

mm6.jpg

mm7.jpg

mm8.jpg

mm10.jpg

mm11.jpg

mm12.jpg

mm13.jpg

mm14.jpg

mm15.jpg

mm16.jpg

mm17.jpg

mm18.jpg

mm19.jpg

mm20.jpg

Have you - or has anyone - had any difficulties with reholdering (like the comic got messed up)?

I have a bunch of books I want to send in, including some Timelys.

On 10/20/2022 at 4:32 PM, Figment said:

Those are amazing. Why didn't the 3, 4, 5 and 6 get one of those "fancy" pedigree labels?

They were the first ones done, before CGC introduced the pedigree labels. I really just wanted the new holders because they are so clear. It isn't worth it to me to worry about the labels.

On 10/20/2022 at 4:48 PM, Mike Bromberg said:

Have you - or has anyone - had any difficulties with reholdering (like the comic got messed up)?

I have a bunch of books I want to send in, including some Timelys.

I have only had two minor issues of damage out of 400+ or so reholders, both involving improper seals on the inner well, and CGC more than adequately made it up to me for their mistake.

Edited by MrBedrock

On 10/20/2022 at 5:33 PM, MrBedrock said:

I have only had two minor issues of damage out of 400+ or so reholders, both involving improper seals on the inner well, and CGC more than adequately made it up to me for their mistake.

You have to watch out for those inner wells. Holder issues involving improper seals are serious... :blush:

1595953214_Image10-20-22at11_51PM.thumb.jpg.0dcbaa1214038dd75a1927679b871edb.jpg

Wow Steven, those are incredible!  (worship) I'm particularly amazed by the page from the second story in Captain America #6!!! What a great highlight in your museum quality Captain America comic collection!!! There is SO little Timely artwork out there and what IS out there appears to be locked down. Thanks so much for sharing this!!!  :applause:

On 10/23/2022 at 12:33 AM, Frisco Larson said:

Wow Steven, those are incredible!  (worship) I'm particularly amazed by the page from the second story in Captain America #6!!! What a great highlight in your museum quality Captain America comic collection!!! There is SO little Timely artwork out there and what IS out there appears to be locked down. Thanks so much for sharing this!!!  :applause:

(worship)  He has one of the top 3 or 4 high grade Timely collections in the country; that S&K original is the centerpiece of it (IMO). (thumbsu

On 10/23/2022 at 12:47 PM, Cat-Man_America said:

(worship)  He has one of the top 3 or 4 high grade Timely collections in the country; that S&K original is the centerpiece of it (IMO). (thumbsu

I'd say in certain areas, like his Timely Caps, he's likely got the best (of what I know to exist). I had numerous conversations with John Verzyl about the Church Timely copies in his possession. I remember being in Chicago when John told me that a few Cap issues in the middle 50s numbering weren't what he considered "high grade" but more in the FINE range (I seem to recall issues #55 & #56). He also told me the story of why he didn't own the Church copy of Cap #1, the details surrounding the fact that it's restored and who did the work, despite John beseeching him not to touch it, that he'd buy it as is. I'm probably one of MANY people who wish they'd have had a tape recorder running when talking with John. Steven absolutely DOES have one of if not THE top Timely collections in the world. If his isn't the best, my guess is that it's second only to the Church collection and even then, I bet it'd be close.