• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show me your Timely's and I'll show you mine. Have a Cigar...
30 30

23,041 posts in this topic

I posted this on another thread...This was a recent upgrade .. looking at it I think this could be a higher grade...

Thats a nice looking Submariner #1. That book and Human Torch 1 are high on my want list.

Subby 1 is on my list too. After all it is a yellow cover :cloud9:

I bid on the Heritage one, but had to beg off

If I'm not mistaken I think those are Captain George reprints. I had a few if those. A cap one, another issue, 15 I think, that was like a Frazetta portfolio. He owned a shop called memory lane here in Toronto and would reprint comics.

Edited by Twistty1

Do you know when they were reprinted? Since they are in black and white would they have been reprinted from original art?

I thought about that while I was looking at your scans. Im really not sure how he did it, but he was eventually sued by King features and stopped...

I think they were reprinted in the late 60's to early 70's...

Here's an interesting article on him.

http://punchincanada.blogspot.ca/2008/08/captain-george-henderson-1930-1992.html?m=1

A Marvel Pulp that features an early Torch story... Anyone know if there are any others out there that feature stories with Timely heroes?

147342.jpg.7e7ed815b9c320782958559959458ece.jpg

Edited by sartre

A Marvel Pulp that features an early Torch story... Anyone know if there are any others out there like it?

Other Goodman pulps did feature illustrations from Simon & Kirby, Schomburg, etc but that's the only story involving a character from the comics.

You can see the cross over of Timely artists in the pulps in this comprehensive book.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Secret-History-Marvel-Comics/dp/1606995529/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1400385222&sr=8-1&keywords=blake+bell

What a wonderful accomplishment West...Seeing all those together is amazing.. One wonders how all that original art could have just been destroyed? If any of those covers survived..

Here's a Schomburg cover that I saw at the marvel exhibition in Paris:

humantorch16oa_zpsc462296d.jpg

Edited by gojira

What a wonderful accomplishment West...Seeing all those together is amazing.. One wonders how all that original art could have just been destroyed? If any of those covers survived..

:cloud9:

:cloud9:

I saw that cover in San Diego about 10 years ago. It is amazing!