• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show me your Timely's and I'll show you mine. Have a Cigar...
30 30

23,018 posts in this topic

Peter, I'm very sorry you had to experience this and I can feel your pain (been there, done that too many times).

I've always wondered when the collecting community would finally have enough, but then I realized that isn't ever going to happen.

The more things change, the more they stay the same...

Edited by sacentaur

Yeah, you definitely have to be careful buying raw from Metro. One of the last books I bought from them as "unrestored" had such obvious color touch/bleed through that I simply couldn't believe the incompetence of whoever graded it. Oh well, got my money back and learned my lesson. :$

3 hours ago, drbanner said:

Yeah, you definitely have to be careful buying raw from Metro. One of the last books I bought from them as "unrestored" had such obvious color touch/bleed through that I simply couldn't believe the incompetence of whoever graded it. Oh well, got my money back and learned my lesson. :$

I would have been happy with just a store credit but I guess their motto is buying low [deslab] and relabel the books as "unrestored" and price accordingly. As a side note I sold the second OA book to a  boardie and he was concerned about it potentially being trimmed. I explain where I got the book from, etc but I promised that if it did come back with a trimming notation, I would refund him. I'm not an expert in the field by any stretch of the imagination but I'm not going to try and scam someone by playing dumb about the situation either. :censored: 

On 5/18/2017 at 5:02 PM, chevalmeow said:

I hate to hear that!

I also just returned a Weird Science #14 to them because two sides were trimmed and it was not known and not disclosed.  I posted the scans in the Comic Book Grading and Restoration Forum for opinions.   I should be getting a refund soon.

I thought it was just a random occurrence.

At the very least, it appears to be a lack of quality control on their part or maybe not...

They know exactly what they are doing!

7 hours ago, sacentaur said:

Of course they do (and not in a good way).

The silence around here is deafening...

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions and I'm not speaking for anyone other than myself.

Maybe I've just been lucky, but in my experience the guys at Metro have always been friendly, straight-shooters on third party graded and raw ungraded books.  Since this is a Timely thread I apologize in advance for posting my Plastic Man #1, ...sold to me by Metro as a raw 9.0 with a discount from the owner's original asking price provided.  Note: As a rule I no longer post labels, but I'll make an exception here by posting the un-cropped scan:

68d94b14-0e39-444a-896a-66a3d36470e0_zps

As a high grade collector I rarely buy raw books, so some may see this as a fluke or suggest CGC's grading was off (that's entirely possible as CGC might've graded this book a 9.4 or 9.6 today).  

I'm neither disputing nor dismissing anyone's experiences, but someone with as inviolable an ethical viewpoint as yourself should appreciate a fair-minded ...albeit dissenting... second opinion.

While I think it's entirely fair to criticize, especially if Metro's grading dependability has declined, every dealer should be afforded the opportunity to defend their policies out in the open.

This thread would probably be better served getting back on track with Timely pick-ups and the discussion moving to a separate thread in Gold or General, but that's just my 2c .

Edited by Cat-Man_America

Kat sorry to derail this thread, I will probably post something in a separate thread in time. I have dealt with Metro for 10 years with no issues but the one purchase was so blatantly side stepped that I am basically done with them for good. 

13 hours ago, Silver Surfer said:

Kat sorry to derail this thread, I will probably post something in a separate thread in time. I have dealt with Metro for 10 years with no issues but the one purchase was so blatantly side stepped that I am basically done with them for good. 

No need to apologize. This view deserves a broader airing when you feel the time and place is right to present it to a wider audience.  A separate thread would certainly do that.

One would hope that further conversations between the parties might undo some of the damage to trust.  That might not be possible, but it's an avenue worth pursuing.  That said, don't beat yourself up about sharing concerns.  

Sadly, off topic discussions have the tendency to veer away from providing useful information to others piling on.  When that happens it creates a soapbox for folks who may have an agenda.  Alas, one sided soapboxes aren't very sturdy.  

-Cat

PS: Just to get things back on track, here's a Timely Comic from my collection that hasn't been posted here in awhile...

5876a859-2e81-4cb3-bac2-952729c77cae_zps

The Falcon (6/40) might be the first pre-Cap wing-hooded hero from Timely

Edited by Cat-Man_America

Gosh, isn't it wonderful that Cat came by to moderate things, add an air of civility, and essentially save all of us from what could have been an ugly row.

1 minute ago, MrBedrock said:

Gosh, isn't it wonderful that Cat came by to moderate things, add an air of civility, and essentially save all of us from what could have been an ugly row.

Some people are just born special.

24 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

I'm certain I'll sleep better tonight.  In fact, I'm getting sleepy already.  

3 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

your FACE is an ugly row!

2 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

"moderate" - hilarious! If moderation is an issue, obviously I need to drink more while posting.

Is it a bridge hand too far to err on the side of civility in an era when fairness gets trumped 24/7? hm

2 hours ago, sacentaur said:

Some people are just born special.

It has served you well.

2 hours ago, buttock said:

I'm certain I'll sleep better tonight.  In fact, I'm getting sleepy already.  

In that case, I'll post another to wake you up... ;)

86ebb67e-ca5f-4e70-8166-12190cf528b5_zps

52 minutes ago, Cat-Man_America said:

obviously I need to drink more while posting [less].

:signfunny:

9 hours ago, Cat-Man_America said:

:news:  If I increased my drinking and cut back posting, crickets would overrun the place.  :bigsmile:

:cloud9: