• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

This week in your Bronze Variants collection

503 posts in this topic

Different folks may know the answer to this. With all Bronze comics, its my understanding that it is easier to find ultra high grade books that were sold without the UPC. The discussion on the Amazing Spiderman 194 rings a bell. Where there are no 9.8's with a UPC.

The argument is that since those were sold at retail stores, it is then tougher to find the ultra high grade.

So with variants, both 30 and 35, it's already a small pool to get the 9.6's and 9.8s but I was wondering if variants were only sold via retail or did they also get sold via comic stores without the UPC. Curious if anyone thought about it in that way.

Ed

UPCs started appearing on Marvel comics cover dated June 1976 and there were no other types until late 1979 except for the Direct Sale/Whitman editions. I think both newstands and comic book shops got the same exact comic until the "slash through the UPC" came along in 1979. If there were two different editions for 30 and 35 cent variants Shieldagent would really hate variants!

This pack is unusual in that it includes Wonder Woman #260 which is somewhat commonly seen in a 3-pack with Wonder Woman #255, #257, #260 (#255 in middle). Not many DC Whitmans have been spotted in multiple combos! The awesome thing about this pack is that it's the first time I've ever seen a multi-pack that contains Superboy & LSH #257!

:cloud9:

whitman3-packbraveandbold156wonderwoman260B.jpg

whitman3-packaction501action496superboylsh257B.jpg

Found these today. Two at a show, nine at a shop.

IMG-20120722-00095.jpg

Wow. that's a nice haul. Two Chamber of Chills! Was this the Laurel show?

What shop still has them around here?!?