• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How much money have you spent on CGC's slabbing service?

How much money have you spent on CGC slabbing services since they came into existence?  

201 members have voted

1. 1. How much money have you spent on CGC slabbing services since they came into existence?

155 posts in this topic

I live in the NYC area which is comic collecting central.

Oh ... my ... God. The prism narrows even further. Are you one of those guys who thinks NYC has a monopoly on museums, restaurants, and sports teams, also? Well, I got news for ya ... you're wrong on all fronts! tongue.gif

Oh... my... God. Your credibility keeps shrinking. Please name me a bigger comic collecting city than NYC? Bet you can't.

I'm finished with this argument since it's quite clear from the above statement that you have no understanding of people, books, and markets outside of your own little insular world. I'm not going to waste any more time trying to change such a narrow-minded viewpoint.

HOWEVER, I will address the following:

So you basically fake a friendship with someone that has comics you want to gain their trust and then rob them blind.

If this is how you interpret my statement "Hence, the need to garner trust, win friends, and yes, influence them into giving them up," you're more jaded than I thought. Nowhere have I stated that my relationships with fellow collectors are fake, nor have I ever "robbed them blind" in any of our transactions! I take great offense at this accusation, for all of my friendships are founded on simple, normal human decency and a shared appreciation of various interests. Any other benefits I gain from these friendships -- be they psychological (as in education about some previously unknown aspect of the interest) or physical (as in an actual comic book, for example) -- are purely tertiary!

In fact, I would expect an apology for such an offensive and derogatory accusation, but given how much of a jerk you've become I won't be holding my breath waiting for it.

Alan

I live in the NYC area which is comic collecting central.

Oh ... my ... God. The prism narrows even further. Are you one of those guys who thinks NYC has a monopoly on museums, restaurants, and sports teams, also? Well, I got news for ya ... you're wrong on all fronts! tongue.gif

Oh... my... God. Your credibility keeps shrinking. Please name me a bigger comic collecting city than NYC? Bet you can't.

I'm finished with this argument since it's quite clear from the above statement that you have no understanding of people, books, and markets outside of your own little insular world. I'm not going to waste any more time trying to change such a narrow-minded viewpoint.

I think you gave up because your logic is based on mythological hidden stashes by a secret society of private comic collectors with multiples of every key issue in HG that they will only sell to you if you befriend them, gain their trust, and kiss their arse. makepoint.gif And you are calling my understanding narrow. 27_laughing.gif

So you basically fake a friendship with someone that has comics you want to gain their trust and then rob them blind.

If this is how you interpret my statement "Hence, the need to garner trust, win friends, and yes, influence them into giving them up," you're more jaded than I thought. Nowhere have I stated that my relationships with fellow collectors are fake, nor have I ever "robbed them blind" in any of our transactions! I take great offense at this accusation, for all of my friendships are founded on simple, normal human decency and a shared appreciation of various interests. Any other benefits I gain from these friendships -- be they psychological (as in education about some previously unknown aspect of the interest) or physical (as in an actual comic book, for example) -- are purely tertiary!

In fact, I would expect an apology for such an offensive and derogatory accusation, but given how much of a jerk you've become I won't be holding my breath waiting for it.

Alan

PeddlerOfFictionMan if you are waiting for an apology from me you have a long line to get behind. You should have stopped in the post where you said you agreed to disagree, but you didn't. Instead you try to match wits with me when you are out-gunned. A word of advice for the future. A sensitive and emotional crybaby like yourself shouldn't argue with those who are your superior. Now go take a nap and think about that.

So you are telling me a dealer with a highly sought after HG comic is going to sell privately instead of going on Ebay where he can get the most money for his comic? Not likely. Comic shop owners that I know specifically put their HG stuff on Ebay to make the most profit. That is why there is only medium to low grade stuff in their stores.

I'm surprized no one tackled this statement. 893whatthe.gif893frustrated.gif

So you are telling me a dealer with a highly sought after HG comic is going to sell privately instead of going on Ebay where he can get the most money for his comic? Not likely. Comic shop owners that I know specifically put their HG stuff on Ebay to make the most profit. That is why there is only medium to low grade stuff in their stores.

Me too. Care to tackle it? I admit there are some GA and select SA comics that are priced so high that only a few people in the comic collecting world could afford them and if a highly connected seller got their hands on it he would probably already know who those people were and MIGHT offer it to them to bid on without Ebay. If a person didn't have such connections, but found himself with a copy of Action #1 in 9.4 condition I am pretty sure he would go to Ebay to sell it.

Or post it on the Marketplace forum here, and see what BSD's would come out of the woodwork.... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

If they did that they might find out there isn't as many BSDs on these boards as there appears to be. Instead they would find out there is a lot of LSDs trying to act like they are BSDs. devil.gif

Or post it on the Marketplace forum here, and see what BSD's would come out of the woodwork.... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

If they did that they might find out there isn't as many BSDs on these boards as there appears to be. Instead they would find out there is a lot of LSDs trying to act like they are BSDs. devil.gif

So, you're saying there's a bit of BSD envy on these boards?...... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

For starters If I had an Action 1 in 9.4.... e-bay wouldn't be the place to sell it.

I doubt I would buy a super key from e-bay either. (Unless I knew the dealer)

Use an auction house.

But anyway, do you think your rule apply towards dealers like Motor City, Metropolis, Harley Yee, John V., etc etc? BTW Have you really seen what some of these guys have?

Me too. Care to tackle it? I admit there are some GA and select SA comics that are priced so high that only a few people in the comic collecting world could afford them and if a highly connected seller got their hands on it he would probably already know who those people were and MIGHT offer it to them to bid on without Ebay. If a person didn't have such connections, but found himself with a copy of Action #1 in 9.4 condition I am pretty sure he would go to Ebay to sell it.

Why not? Ok, it's pretty much known that very few of the best copies of books make it to ebay before being flipped, at least once! Likewise, at the big conventions the majority of the good books offered for sale are sold before the doors even open. Ebay is not the best venue for getting the highest prices for $1k+ books, which is why the real nice books are sold via Manning, Heritage, All-star, Comiclink, and privately. BB13, the guru of bronze, buys and sells/trades more top-tier bronze than anyone, and I don't believe he's ever put any of his good stuff on ebay.

Comic shop owners don't have HG stuff in stock b/c 1) most collections simply don't have the HG stuff to begin with, and 2) the HG stuff that does come in is swooped up quickly and efficiently (or so I like to think!).

I have to agree with this statement. I do 60% of my comic buying away from Ebay. Dealers want to build relationships with repeat buyers they can rely on. With a lot of the HG stuff it can be so rare that there are people waiting in line to get it.

Another reason for buying HG privately is that nobody knows what you have got. gossip.gif

For starters If I had an Action 1 in 9.4.... e-bay wouldn't be the place to sell it.

I doubt I would buy a super key from e-bay either. (Unless I knew the dealer)

Use an auction house.

Heritage is probably the best known comic auction house and they sell on Ebay, don't they?

But anyway, do you think your rule apply towards dealers like Motor City, Metropolis, Harley Yee, John V., etc etc?

Those guys probably have a BSD clientile and probably wouldn't need to go on Ebay. They might be curious to see what they could get on Ebay though. Who knows.

BTW Have you really seen what some of these guys have?

I have done some business with Motor City and I have visited Metropolis. I had a Strange Tales #110 they offered me $1,000 for about 4 years ago. I didn't take it and a regret it because I had it CGC'd and it came back 6.5. Do I know what they have? Of course not, and neither does anyone else except those dealers themselves. Anyhow, I am sure they have a variety of all grades of everything from mainstream superhero stuff to obscure titles. If I had to guess I would say they probably have about the same percentage or a little lower of highly collectable stuff as you see on the census. In other words, if they have 15 copies of HG Hulk #181, maybe 1 of those copies is a 9.8, 2 are 9.6, 4 are 9.4 etc...

So, you're saying there's a bit of BSD envy on these boards?...... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

You got it. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Why not? Ok, it's pretty much known that very few of the best copies of books make it to ebay before being flipped, at least once! Likewise, at the big conventions the majority of the good books offered for sale are sold before the doors even open. Ebay is not the best venue for getting the highest prices for $1k+ books, which is why the real nice books are sold via Manning, Heritage, All-star, Comiclink, and privately. BB13, the guru of bronze, buys and sells/trades more top-tier bronze than anyone, and I don't believe he's ever put any of his good stuff on ebay.

I don't know whether you can get the best price on Ebay or not, but I will tell you what I do know. Most of these people like BB13 buy from Ebay. So that is just one BSD that troll the Ebay comic market. There are several other members in these forums that both buy and sell on Ebay. Why would they do that if they can get higher prices elsewhere? More exposure on Ebay.

Comic shop owners don't have HG stuff in stock b/c 1) most collections simply don't have the HG stuff to begin with, and

I agree and THAT was the whole POINT I was trying to make way back when.

2) the HG stuff that does come in is swooped up quickly and efficiently (or so I like to think!).

Because HG stuff is not plentiful as some people think.

I have to agree with this statement. I do 60% of my comic buying away from Ebay. Dealers want to build relationships with repeat buyers they can rely on. With a lot of the HG stuff it can be so rare that there are people waiting in line to get it.

Another reason for buying HG privately is that nobody knows what you have got. gossip.gif

Go to HighGradeComics.com and tell me what percentage of raw and CGC'd for sell is actually over NM 9.4? I rest my case. acclaim.gif