• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I got the dreaded call from CGC today...

309 posts in this topic

There is a stench most foul at The CGC Head Quarters. Two different people and two different stories. I'd be on the phone with Mark Haspel. I'd want more than them helping with the grading fee's as well. It isn't your fault that The CGC threw out the box they were packed in now is it.....

After getting the grades. I would tell them what I honestly had them graded at. I'd want the price difference of the two grades. There will be two grades. Yours and there's{after damage}. I would think that they would want to be fair. I'd be very surprised and upset if they just wash there hand's of this without helping you out.

A lot can be gained or lost with good or bad public relations. At best you will be made whole again in the value of the book's. Plus a free grading coupon or two. At worst you will have book's that were somehow damaged with The CGC washing there hands of the matter and loosing a customer.

Word of mouth advertising is the best there is. Both good and bad. I hope you come to a fair and reasonable solution to this unfortunate situation. Keep us posted and Good Luck.

Jason,

The two conflicting sides of the story are cause for concern. If there was no peripheral damage and the affected books were on the inside of the stack, there's no way they could have been damaged without the rest suffering as well.

Sounds like a butterfingers alibi to me hm

My advice? Don't let this go if it's truly their fault (and it sounds like it is).

Companies tend to have two different responses. One for the people that complain once, one for the people that raise hell, call multiple times, threaten to contact the BBB, etc. Can you guess which person usually gets what they want?

If that were true, my wife would always get it her way...many times companies put the

"mute" button when they are tired of you...

Did you say something? :whatev:

"A lot can be gained or lost with good or bad public relations." I couldnt agree more with that statement. & like you said at best CGC will make up for it (somehow)

I guess at this point, we are going to have to wait and see if CGC does the right thing. Even though the statement " the right thing" seems a little out of place here. What a headache.

thanks for the input guys - I feel more sick about this situation than anything else. I kinda wish they would have contacted me on Tuesday about this. Now I have to sit here and think about it all weekend.

thanks for the input guys - I feel more sick about this situation than anything else. I kinda wish they would have contacted me on Tuesday about this. Now I have to sit here and think about it all weekend.
I feel your pain. That does stink. Just try and enjoy the weekend.

I thought that during the process of unpacking the order and inventorying the comic order, the comic is separated from the mylar and board.

Do the graders see the bag and board? Are they included in the tray/container the comics are placed in?

Sounds like someone really liked those 3 books and swapped them out. Heritage? Really freakin suspicious.....

BTW.... I love a good conspiracy theory

:eek: possible.

More likely they were damaged in shipping or at CGC.

When in the grading process does CGC remove the books from the sender's bags and boards? If I was designing a "grading process" I would immediately remove the book from its bag and board after opening the shipping box. I would then examine the shipping box, bag, board and comic for any sign of shipping damage. CGC would likely do this to protect itself from the inevitable shipping damages that must occur from time to time.

I don't understand why CGC would even call you if the damage to the books don't match damage to the packaging or bags and boards. Once the grading process begins I would imagine the bags, boards and packaging are discarded. How does CGC protect a book once it has entered the grading process? Do they bag it in a new bag and board, do they let it sit there naked, do they use the sender's bag and board or do they have an alternative method?

Sounds like someone really liked those 3 books and swapped them out. Heritage? Really freakin suspicious.....

BTW.... I love a good conspiracy theory

:eek: possible.

More likely they were damaged in shipping or at CGC.

When in the grading process does CGC remove the books from the sender's bags and boards? If I was designing a "grading process" I would immediately remove the book from its bag and board after opening the shipping box. I would then examine the shipping box, bag, board and comic for any sign of shipping damage. CGC would likely do this to protect itself from the inevitable shipping damages that must occur from time to time.

I don't understand why CGC would even call you if the damage to the books don't match damage to the packaging or bags and boards. Once the grading process begins I would imagine the bags, boards and packaging are discarded. How does CGC protect a book once it has entered the grading process? Do they bag it in a new bag and board, do they let it sit there naked, do they use the sender's bag and board or do they have an alternative method?

thats the part that makes me think that they accidentally dropped the books/slabs... or something. They should call you immediately upon receiving a book damaged in transit. They received books on April 27 and called me on May 22. Doesn't make much sense...

From their website:

CGC’s Receiving Department opens the newly arrived packages each morning and immediately verifies that the number of books in each package matches the number shown on the invoice. Once this is done, a more detailed comparison is made to ensure that their invoice descriptions correspond to the actual comics. This information is entered into a computer, and the comics will henceforth be traceable at all stages of the grading process by their invoice number and their line number within that invoice.

Each book is placed within protective mylar that has affixed to it a label bearing the invoice and line item numbers, information which is duplicated on the label in a bar-coded inscription for quick reading by the computer.

Before any grading is performed, each book is examined by a CGC Restoration Detection Expert. If any form of restoration work is detected, this information is entered into the computer so that it will be available to the grading team

As far as Blue's OO books go, they grade out at Blue's grade :sumo:

Good luck! :wishluck:

From their website:

CGC’s Receiving Department opens the newly arrived packages each morning and immediately verifies that the number of books in each package matches the number shown on the invoice. Once this is done, a more detailed comparison is made to ensure that their invoice descriptions correspond to the actual comics. This information is entered into a computer, and the comics will henceforth be traceable at all stages of the grading process by their invoice number and their line number within that invoice.

Each book is placed within protective mylar that has affixed to it a label bearing the invoice and line item numbers, information which is duplicated on the label in a bar-coded inscription for quick reading by the computer.

Before any grading is performed, each book is examined by a CGC Restoration Detection Expert. If any form of restoration work is detected, this information is entered into the computer so that it will be available to the grading team

exactly - or sometimes higher. As we found out with his newly slabbed FF45 9.6W :o

Maybe blue still has the pics from his old sales threads.

The term "chipping" in this context just doesn't make any sense (??) :o

I could see if they said corner scrunch or rack-type stress/bend or something of that nature...chipping...WTF is that supposed to mean? (especially after now seeing the scan)...

I'd ask them to send you scans of the book before they go in the slab so you can ascertain just exactly what the damage is and then maybe make some decisions then...what a shame...sounds like this isn't going to turn out well... :tonofbricks:

Those were my thoughts exactly! Chipping?!!?!! :screwy:

Unfortunately I agree...I can't see this ending in any type of way that leaves me smiling...

I really wish i would have asked them to send me scans... I didn't even think to do that doh!

Sorry about the "chipping problems," but at least it wasn't "jelly problems" - I can imagine the call - "Sir, did your book have strawberry jam on the cover? I'm sitting here on my lunch break eating my PB+J, and praying to god you happened to send in a book that had a jelly stain on the cover...."

If they did accidentally drop them, why not fess up to it over the phone, rather than calling to inquire if the books happened to have chipping problems....

Sorry about the "chipping problems," but at least it wasn't "jelly problems" - I can imagine the call - "Sir, did your book have strawberry jam on the cover? I'm sitting here on my lunch break eating my PB+J, and praying to god you happened to send in a book that had a jelly stain on the cover...."

If they did accidentally drop them, why not fess up to it over the phone, rather than calling to inquire if the books happened to have chipping problems....

well the weirdly enough - when I asked for the defects to be more thoroughly explained he never mentioned chipping again... he said that there were color breaking creases on the corners and a spine split... I never did figure out what the chipping was

From their website:

exactly - or sometimes higher. As we found out with his newly slabbed FF45 9.6W :o

Im really sorry that was a great book.Hopefully it will all work out to your satisfaction.

Too bad it couldnt of been a crappy WWBN 32 :devil:

If there is any damage to your comics and corresponding damage to the mylars that CGC transfers your comics to then the damage occurred at CGC and it is their responsibility. Period.

I can not believe that CGC doesn't inspect every box, comic and bag and board as it is unpacked. It is abslutely (darn sticking o key) vital to CGC that they identify shipping damages when books arrive to protect themselves. It is also likely that they record all suspected shipping damage and notify the sender.