• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC Denoting "Appearances" that aren't really appearances?

63 posts in this topic

Ever see a naked label....?

MVC-005F.jpg

Probably because nobody has ever read it before. They don't know what to put on the label. :gossip:

Perhaps Stranger is a reference to the buyer of the book. i.e. if you buy this book you are stranger than most.

JC, this is not a shot at you by the way.

It is so a shot at you, Vince.

Ed just PM'd me to say, "That was a shot at JC by the way.".

Fight! Fight! :popcorn:

:shy:

Perhaps Stranger is a reference to the buyer of the book. i.e. if you buy this book you are stranger than most.

(tsk)

(tsk)

:shy::kidaround::foryou:

:gossip: It's the Toad with some kind of image enhancer.

Sorta like:extenze.jpg

Ever see a naked label....?

MVC-005F.jpg

Probably because nobody has ever read it before. They don't know what to put on the label. :gossip:

Now THAT was a great one liner :roflmao:

Jim

I've noticed that they seem to do it for reprint issues. It's as if there's a problem denoting that it is reprint content.

It is silly listing Avengers # 138 as a Stranger appearance when he doesn't appear in the book. :screwy:

The thing that amazes me is that an appearance by the Stranger is considered important enough to list on the label anyway. (shrug)

It is silly listing Avengers # 138 as a Stranger appearance when he doesn't appear in the book. :screwy:

The thing that amazes me is that an appearance by the Stranger is considered important enough to list on the label anyway. (shrug)

What do you mean he doesn't appear in the book? He appears on the cover and all over the insides of the book... (shrug)

But he's on the cover - indeed, the largest figure on it. Should graders be expected to have read every book they see? If you examine large numbers of books for their physical condition, does there come a point where you stop noticing the actual stories?

Ultimately, who really cares? They're just looking for some kind of information to put on the label.

However, I do wish they would list which issues of a particular title are being reprinted when they grade the reprints.

But he's on the cover - indeed, the largest figure on it. Should graders be expected to have read every book they see? If you examine large numbers of books for their physical condition, does there come a point where you stop noticing the actual stories?

Of course the graders shouldn't be expected to read every book they see, it's not the graders who decide what notes to put on the label.

Whoever it is that creates the database that prints off the labels how ever should know what they're talking about otherwise what is the point of having the notes? (shrug)

What do you mean he doesn't appear in the book? He appears on the cover and all over the insides of the book... (shrug)

This is what was discussed in the rest of the thread, it's not the Stranger who appears but the Toad disguised as the stranger.

Ultimately, who really cares? They're just looking for some kind of information to put on the label.

However, I do wish they would list which issues of a particular title are being reprinted when they grade the reprints.

You're right Doc, it's not as if it's of importance but the question was asked. I still can't understand why a "Stranger appearance" would rate a note on the label anyway. (shrug)

Your point about reprint issue's being listed is a good one, I'm surprised they don't do it.

Whoever it is that creates the database that prints off the labels how ever should know what they're talking about otherwise what is the point of having the notes? (shrug)

(worship)

And guys, the point of the question I posed is NOT simply Avengers 138 and the erroneous Stranger appearance, but a ton of books that CGC grades and features robots, Skrulls, Chameleon/image inducers/enhancers, fakes, dream sequences, etc. as true appearances.

Maybe it's just a mistake and no one there has ever read these issues? I do remember at least one correction, in that Iron Man issue where he fights the Hulk robot - CGC initially noted it as a Hulk appearance, but when a thread covered off the error, it was corrected.

Maybe CGC needs a sticky thread for "label errors"?

Of course the graders shouldn't be expected to read every book they see, it's not the graders who decide what notes to put on the label.

(thumbs u

Why is the notation of a reprint more relevant than listing character appearances? If you don't care about who appears within a book, why do you care about what story appears between the covers? JC's point is just as valid.

The more info on the label, the better. And any info that is there should be accurate and consistent, otherwise it's pointless, as Gaz pointed out.