• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What if the comic historians deem Hulk 180 as true first appearance of Wolverine

101 posts in this topic

What if the comic historians deem Hulk 180 as true first appearance of Wolverine?

It could happen in the future as the old guard historian dies off and the younger generation historian decides #180 is the true first appearance of Wolverine. I wonder if prices would tank on #181? I can see this being not an issue now but in the next 2 decades as Wolverine continues to get more popular. example someone can go on Ebay and say Hulk 180 cgc 10.0 is the first appearance of Wolverine and technically they are right. With big money now being involved this could get nasty.

I think that would also make ASM 299 the first app. of Venom. IMO people look for the first full story so while Wolverine was in Hull 180 first, The full story was 181.

Of course I'm covered for I have 180 181 and 182. :)

I think that would also make ASM 299 the first app. of Venom. IMO people look for the first full story so while Wolverine was in Hull 180 first, The full story was 181.

Of course I'm covered for I have 180 181 and 182. :)

answered before I even asked (thumbs u

181 is the first full story, right (been a while since I owned them, but I did have them at one point)

Yes it is and no matter if they deem the 180 as the first appearance or not, the cover to 181 will always outsell the cover to 180

181 is the first full story, right (been a while since I owned them, but I did have them at one point)

Yes it is and no matter if they deem the 180 as the first appearance or not, the cover to 181 will always outsell the cover to 180

there you go

I think everyone already does consider Incredible Hulk #180 the first true appearance of Wolverine. There he is, big as life, right there in the last panel of the book.

However, I don't think that #180 will ever come close to rivaling #181 in terms of demand and value. Issue #181 sports such an iconic cover, with Wolverine engaged in fierce battle with the Hulk. That image will continue to be ingrained in everyone's mind. The entire book revolves around Wolverine, he appears throughout the issue. That comic was published about 35 years ago, and there has been no hint that #180 is gaining in popularity or value over #181. If anything, the gap is getting wider between the two.

This topic has been debated at great length many times. I suspect that it is people who own several high grade copies of Incredible Hulk #180 who keep trying to push that agenda. (:

If that logic applies then ads would be first appearances, such as ads for Action 1, MM1, D27 etc.

Yeah, buy your Iron Fist 13's NOW!!

And I'm hoarding these as we speak, and you'll notice that Marvel is NOT promoting Hulk 180 here. :gossip:

80811.jpg.326e15758e7a034557ec84f611a59672.jpg

If that logic applies then ads would be first appearances, such as ads for Action 1, MM1, D27 etc.

absolutely not. Nik didn't say 180 wasn't his first appearance, he only stated the importance of the 181. And a cover in no way equates to an ad.

All this about ads being first appearances has got to stop. I was specifically disapointed to see Metro try that with a Cap ad before Cap #1. Now that, is wildly_fanciful_statement.

I disagree. Ads are not story pages in a comic book so dont count. For a character to appear in a comic book they have be in a story page. People trying to push the Action #1, Detective #27 thing are people trying to make money off of books, of course being stupid collectors a certain percentage of us will fall for it.

Bruce

The market has determined that "Incredible Hulk 181" is the most valuable appearance of Wolverine in that title.

Whilst technically not the "first appearance", given the "what's next" in Incredible Hulk #180, the market has discounted that appearance.

Just as it has ads in Detective Comics for Action #1.

P.S. There are no "comic gods".

Yeah, buy your Iron Fist 13's NOW!!

And I'm hoarding these as we speak, and you'll notice that Marvel is NOT promoting Hulk 180 here. :gossip:

80811.jpg

IF 13 also contains the 1st appearance of Sabretooth. ^^

1stSabretooth.jpg

People trying to push the Action #1, Detective #27 thing are people trying to make money off of books

If only this were true in my case, it would mean I had some pretty nice books to push! (my collection isn't fit for use as packing material)

I'm not pushing anything, just throwing out a possibility. Depending on how literal one wants to be, the first published appearance of a character may very well be an advertisement. Whether that has any value or not is up to the individual collector or marketplace to decide. The market obviously seems to side with first appearance within a story, and that's fine, but if you want to be strictly literal then there are other possibilities. If Superman appeared in an ad that was published before anything else, then that is his first appearance. That's all I'm sayin'.