• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frank Robbins Appreciation Thread

62 posts in this topic

<

I don't get involved in those childish games.

These guys are/were professionals whether you like their styles or not.

If you don't like them, don't buy their books.

All of them can visually tell stories well.

I think a lot of today's artists are more concerned about creating pages to get themselves the most dollars on the art market. And a lot of them do not visually tell a good story.

I had to chuckle when I saw this thread today, because just last night I was rebagging part of my collection and I ended up looking through my Man from Atlantis comics. In issue #3 page 27 my eyes were assaulted by this panel. Anyone care to explain what is going on with poor Manny's body? (And I wish this was an isolated case of the painful looking contortions that Robbins concocted.)

mfa-1.jpg

I just throw away Robbins books when I come across em. At some point they will probably start becoming scarce and perhaps valuable........but I doubt the valuable part :grin:

I had to chuckle when I saw this thread today, because just last night I was rebagging part of my collection and I ended up looking through my Man from Atlantis comics. In issue #3 page 27 my eyes were assaulted by this panel. Anyone care to explain what is going on with poor Manny's body? (And I wish this was an isolated case of the painful looking contortions that Robbins concocted.)

mfa-1.jpg

at first glance, that looks horrid, but with a bit of studying, it's not bad at all. he simply has his thighs turned outward and his feet inward, facing the missle/sub. In other words, a pretty basic martial arts pose of turning your feet towards each other.

still a bit odd, though.

the one that gets me is the one where the five Invaders are all running towards the enemy. Four out of those five guys are about to turn an ankle.

Frank Robbins was a fine storyteller. His run doing Batman was excellent and under-rated.

Hey comicstock, who's worse, Frank Springer or Frank Robbins? Who's worse, George Tuska or Herb Trimpe? :baiting:

That's kind of like asking if you'd rather be shot or stabbed.

eh, what's all this complaining about? My spidey figure was able to do it no problem. :acclaim:

xqg7ti.jpg

(ignore that annoying giant's finger).

mfa-1.jpg

at first glance, that looks horrid, but with a bit of studying, it's not bad at all. he simply has his thighs turned outward and his feet inward, facing the missle/sub. In other words, a pretty basic martial arts pose of turning your feet towards each other.

still a bit odd, though.

the one that gets me is the one where the five Invaders are all running towards the enemy. Four out of those five guys are about to turn an ankle.

mfa-1.jpg

This thread brings back some great memories. We used to endlessly abuse Robbins for his horrid anatomy and generally sloppy drawing.

But I think in this drawing he simply forgot which way he was drawing the figure. Clearly the lower half of the body is going one way and the torso is going the other.

I always got the impression he just didn't give a damn about the stories he drew. It seemed like he was just scribbling to get a paycheck.

mfa-1.jpg

This thread brings back some great memories. We used to endlessly abuse Robbins for his horrid anatomy and generally sloppy drawing.

But I think in this drawing he simply forgot which way he was drawing the figure. Clearly the lower half of the body is going one way and the torso is going the other.

I always got the impression he just didn't give a damn about the stories he drew. It seemed like he was just scribbling to get a paycheck.

I think Frank Robbins may have had a tough day when he drew that. haha.

Robbins inked by Springer and Colletta. :sick: How much worse can it get?

Absolutely love his Invaders work. I don't care what anyone says--it's a highlight of the BA for me. It just inspires so much hate from people that wanted every Marvel book to look the same. And that was one appeal, it was different. Not only different, but it just seemed to capture the feel of the 1940's, and of GA books for me. Great stuff.

It is distinctive, no arguments there. It's also godawful. Want all books to look alike? Hardly, but I'd like the artist to have at least some proficiency.

Ijiwaru Sensei...I respect YOUR admiration for Frank Robbins, but no matter how many examples of his work you continue to post for us to "admire", the overwhelming responses to this thread indicate that aside from his close friends and family, you might be the only member of his fan club! (shrug)

mfa-1.jpg

The only runs that I remember Frank Robbins art was Invaders and Human Fly and that quirky, anatomically impossible posses made the Invaders and Human Fly unique. It wasn't very visually appealing, however the gestures and expressions really came out at you. And as JC has pointed out, there was always the possibility of a spit wad.

See my comment earlier.

Ijiwaru Sensei...I respect YOUR admiration for Frank Robbins, but no matter how many examples of his work you continue to post for us to "admire", the overwhelming responses to this thread indicate that aside from his close friends and family, you might be the only member of his fan club! (shrug)

I can accept that. I understand the distaste for his work, but for me, it always takes me back to fond memories of being a kid. I really do like his work, even with the contorted, flailing legs and body parts. What I do find interesting/amusing is how strong opinions are against his work, especially when his work is compared to some of the stuff out there today.

Oh, well, a few more (for friends and family of Robbins ;) ):

CCF06082009_00019.jpg

CCF06082009_00020.jpg

CCF06082009_00021.jpg

CCF06082009_00022.jpg

CCF06082009_00025.jpg

CCF06082009_00026.jpg

CCF06082009_00028.jpg

CCF06082009_00029.jpg

CCF06082009_00030.jpg

CCF06082009_00031.jpg

CCF06082009_00032.jpg