• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chew 9.9 or 10.0?

340 posts in this topic

WOW.... a Chew #1 first print CGC 9.8 SS just sold for $122.39. I bought mine for over 200 2 weeks ago.... is this book really dropping price that fast?? or is it just bad auction timing for the lister??

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200374613023&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&autorefresh=true

WOW.... a Chew #1 first print CGC 9.8 SS just sold for $122.39. I bought mine for over 200 2 weeks ago.... is this book really dropping price that fast?? or is it just bad auction timing for the lister??

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200374613023&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&autorefresh=true

hard to say from one data point but i look at the census #'s and wonder: is there really that much demand for the book in 9.8? 90% of the books graded are at least 9.8. maybe 9.9's will hold value better.

yea but this one was a signature series. im selling a regular chew #1 1st print right now with a couple hours left and its at $87 right now... hopefully it does well. i might sell for over the $123 that the signature series sold for... :wishluck:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110426121141&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT

Multitudes of 9.8s and 9.9s showing up at every turn of the census + 5 different printings + demand being steadily met more and more each day = plummeting prices.

:(

AND

I saw a ton of 9.8 and 9.9 Chew's in Chicago that were done on-site - this is not a smart time to sell at all.

Both are ^^

fyi - there was a double signed 9.8 SS copy of Chew #2 that sold on the bay last night for $28 + change. Not even the cost of the book raw plus grading. :shrug:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Chew-2-1st-Print-CGC-9-8-SS-Layman-Guillory-signed-by-2_W0QQitemZ280388405507QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item4148738903&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

I can't believe how this book took off and the silly money people we're throwing at it...by the time its finished I'll bet you'll have well over 400 CGC 9.8's on the census. You'll have a 9.9 and 10.0 show up sooner or later. 2c

I can't believe how this book took off and the silly money people we're throwing at it...by the time its finished I'll bet you'll have well over 400 CGC 9.8's on the census. You'll have a 9.9 and 10.0 show up sooner or later. 2c

there are already nine 9.9's on the census

...and everyone still thinks this is a $100 + book at 9.8???

how many 9.8's if you don't mind me asking?

61 total 9.8s.

61 total 9.8s.

ummm...not to bad...I think there's about 140 Walking Dead 1's and thats now a $500 comic, so i might be wrong.

BUT! Walking Dead #1 only has 3 9.9 copies in over 6 years. And the two 9.9 SS copies JUST popped up and from what can be heard from the grapevine, aren't about to hit the market soon.

9 total 9.9s of Chew #1 (1st) thus far is killing the 9.8 prices, especially when more Chews are being slabbed as we speak. Just wait til the first 1st print 10 hits. You think the 9.8s are plummeting now? :eek:

61 total 9.8s.

ummm...not to bad...I think there's about 140 Walking Dead 1's and thats now a $500 comic, so i might be wrong.

61 9.8's and 9 9.9's out of 79 subs. nearly every book subbed is at least a 9.8. and i doubt the census has the SD or Chicago books counted yet.

61 total 9.8s.

61 9.8's and 9 9.9's out of 79 subs. nearly every book subbed is at least a 9.8. and i doubt the census has the SD or Chicago books counted yet.

ouch, might wait a couple of weeks then and pick myself up a nice 1st print #1 CGC 9.8!!!

Both Chicago and SD books are in the census.

wow- my modern SDCC submissions took 3 weeks to be "received." i gave up on them being graded before october.

Both Chicago and SD books are in the census.

wow- my modern SDCC submissions took 3 weeks to be "received." i gave up on them being graded before october.

My bad - I thought SDCC was on-site as well. :tonofbricks:

The Chicago books I know for a fact are in there, though.

61 total 9.8s.

You're comparing apples & oranges.

WD has 64 issues out - it was a genuine sleeper hit, a book that slowly built steam as more & more people discovered how good it was. There wasn't even a sale of a CGC 9.8 #1 till about 7 months or so after #1 had come out - and CGC 9.8 #1's were selling for just $60-70 all the way up to the end of 2005.

Chew has 3 issues out. It was hyped beyond belief prior to release which means that everyone & their grandma immediately sent whatever copies of #1 they could find off to CGC. They did the same for issue #2 and #3.

The only thing that Chew has going for it is that even with all the hype, the print run on the #1 was still relatively low - which does physically limit how many slabbed copies of #1 you're going to see.

But apart from that, Chew was pretty much the perfect storm when it comes to CGC books - prices are going to keep dropping as more copies hit the market, and, unless the title sticks around for a looong time & picks up a steady stream of new readers based on the actual merit of the book (and not just because of the hype factor), the people who bought copies early on are kinda screwed.