• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

Because it simply is not true. I can't speak for the other eras but go lurk in the modern sales section and you'll see. There are individuals with more power/influence.

If there is a perceived power/influence that is the fault of those who let themselves be influences or lorded over. Anyone can speak their piece here. They can push for what they feel is right. If something comes down to a vote anyone can can vote anonymously.

If there is undue influence going on in the Modern (I rarely go to the other sale section unless there is a PL issue citing a FS thread, except to occasionally look at a pretty GA book.

How is this influence/power being exercised? (PM is fine).

But as it was Dr. Balls who made the "powers that be" comment I was curious as to his take.

I'll send a PM when I get a chance but the short version is simply the group mentality. There are groups that take a mutually beneficial side regardless of the philosophical concepts of right and wrong.

You're a smart guy Pov. It is a fairly common tactic. Although I can't relate to not speaking my mind (even when facing a group) I can certainly empathize.

I dunno. In light of two similar situations being brought up in a manner of days, maybe the powers-that-be around here might need to address the rules of accepting an offer and not plssing backwards on it when a third party waves more money at the seller after the deal is done.

The only "powers that be" are all the board members. There are no individuals that hold more or less "power" than any other board member.

Such an idealist lol

I dunno. In light of two similar situations being brought up in a manner of days, maybe the powers-that-be around here might need to address the rules of accepting an offer and not plssing backwards on it when a third party waves more money at the seller after the deal is done.

The only "powers that be" are all the board members. There are no individuals that hold more or less "power" than any other board member.

Such an idealist lol

It is not being an idealist. it is being a realist. Anyone can express themselves here. If others are applying pressure to have their way done it should be brought out. I follow and express my own ideas and the only influence on me is a well-reasoned response.

It is not a difficult thing to do. All someone has to do is just do it.

Such an idealist lol

It is not being an idealist. it is being a realist. Anyone can express themselves here. If others are applying pressure to have their way done it should be brought out. I follow and express my own ideas and the only influence on me is a well-reasoned response.

Yes, we all have a voice but some are more influential than others. It's the nature of the beast.

Such an idealist lol

Yes, we all have a voice but some are more influential than others. It's the nature of the beast.

Exactly what is this influence and how is it applied? What past PL decisions have been influenced that go beyond the "facts in the case"?

And that can mean its natural and good also. "Influential" is used in a lot ways and rarely is it negative, "influential modern artist x" or "influential writer y" etc. Someone may have more influence because they are thought to articulate certain points of view, or represent interests yes, but that is much different than having a power to make people do things they don't want to. That kind of power is unlikely on a message board. 2c

Really? No sir, idealist is the correct word.

That is a pleasantly philosophical kind of statement but it doesn't actually say anything. It does put the "passive" in "passive aggressive".

Edited by Povertyrow

And that can mean its natural and good also. "Influential" is used in a lot ways and rarely is it negative, "influential modern artist x" or "influential writer y" etc. Someone may have more influence because they are thought to articulate certain points of view, or represent interests yes, but that is much different than having a power to make people do things they don't want to. That kind of power is unlikely on a message board. 2c

I take the second meaning from what has been said before: "...having a power to make people do things they don't want to." It certainly is possible on a message board, unfortunately.

If there is a perceived power/influence that is the fault of those who let themselves be influences or lorded over. Anyone can speak their piece here. They can push for what they feel is right. If something comes down to a vote anyone can can vote anonymously.

If there is undue influence going on in the Modern (I rarely go to the other sale section unless there is a PL issue citing a FS thread, except to occasionally look at a pretty GA book.

But as it was Dr. Balls who made the "powers that be" comment I was curious as to his take.

I didn't really mean anything sinister or conspiratorial with that comment - I just know there are people who manage the list and are more active with the probation stuff that might be better suited to initiate policy than I would be.

I think it's safe to say there are people in various areas of the boards who run things (such as the guys who do the Best of the Best stuff or Holiday Ham running the Secret Santa gig) and there's really no reason they would have any more "power" than anyone else - it's just that they are the leadership of those particular areas.

I don't presume to butt in and demand policy change - that's not my thing, but as an occasional seller, I don't mind putting in a request for it.

I didn't really mean anything sinister or conspiratorial with that comment - I just know there are people who manage the list and are more active with the probation stuff that might be better suited to initiate policy than I would be.

I think it's safe to say there are people in various areas of the boards who run things (such as the guys who do the Best of the Best stuff or Holiday Ham running the Secret Santa gig) and there's really no reason they would have any more "power" than anyone else - it's just that they are the leadership of those particular areas.

I don't presume to butt in and demand policy change - that's not my thing, but as an occasional seller, I don't mind putting in a request for it.

Please don;t confuse updating the list with managing it. The list is a pain to update if you never did it and folks often make simple but understandable mistakes like leaving their sig-line in, forgetting to remove the "quote" markers, updating the main date etc. But that is just editing the list and entails no management.

Such an idealist lol

Pov, that is a sweet thought but in practice doesn't work. I have spoken up in this thread at times when I do feel that injustice is being done or a mob like thinking is overtaking a rational one. Every instance I am met with lawyer backtalk and relentless arguing over the same point. I feel like I am personally being attacked during those times but I post anyway to hopefully provide a different view. I fail every single time.

So, no I do feel that there is a group of posters here that run the trial and outsider's voice fail to matter.