• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

so OAK should probably come off the PL now, right?

:thumbsup:

At this point it's up to the mods or whomever runs the PL list, but I'm going to officially request in this post that since he thus far seemed to have made the requirements that I put in front of him, we're all good on this end.

At this point it's up to the mods or whomever runs the PL list, but I'm going to officially request in this post that since he thus far seemed to have made the requirements that I put in front of him, we're all good on this end.

I think you did well to resolve this in the manner you did. OAK seems to have a troubled history here but PL rules kinda dictate forced resolutions in cases like this. It is better than having someone being able to play the "wronged PL member" card if the seller (rightfully) washed his hands of the situation. It got kinda reversed where you had to assist in making him whole (help get him off the PL) despite his inability to ever make you whole (can't go back and resolve the original transaction).

I'm really not all that impressed. All he did was make a donation to a charity in return for getting a book that he already wanted to buy. I don't know if that is exactly the definition of making things right. I would venture to say this will not be the last time we hear of OAK in this thread, but hopefully he will take this second chance and become a productive board member.

In any case, it is ultimately up to Rich to take him off and he did at a cost to himself. I have never bought from Rich but it impresses me a lot how he handled this situation and hope to deal with him in the future.

I'm really not all that impressed. All he did was make a donation to a charity in return for getting a book that he already wanted to buy. I don't know if that is exactly the definition of making things right. I would venture to say this will not be the last time we hear of OAK in this thread, but hopefully he will take this second chance and become a productive board member.

He didn't "make things right". Not really. It was an alternate solution. Kudos to Rich for what he did. It was a class act. However, oceanavekid will still be on a lot of personal "do not deal with" lists.

Redeeming step, sure. Trustworthy, no way.

Forced appeal is laughable. Time and integrity will out.

Meanwhile under the rules, if Rich states he is whole, then off the PL he goes.

In any case, it is ultimately up to Rich to take him off and he did at a cost to himself. I have never bought from Rich but it impresses me a lot how he handled this situation and hope to deal with him in the future.

+ 1.

Everybody can make a mistake and therefore we should be given a second chance. That’s not the case in this situation. Oceanavekid has had numerous bad experiences on this board. If he’s taken off the probation list he would have been given multiple chances and the most likely outcome will be a new member getting the screws from him in a couple of months.

I thought we were a community that looks after each other. IMO giving this guy the opportunity to sell comics is not protecting the community. The posters who know about him will most likely not deal with him but what about the ample posters that don’t know who he is. Who’s protecting them?

IMO I care more about the members who do the right thing day after day then this poster who has been nothing but a problem since he arrived here.

Edited by raybowles

+ 1.

Everybody can make a mistake and therefore we should be given a second chance. That’s not the case in this situation. Oceanavekid has had numerous bad experiences on this board. If he’s taken off the probation list he would have been given multiple chances and the most likely outcome will be a new member getting the screws from him in a couple of months.

I thought we were a community that looks after each other. IMO giving this guy the opportunity to sell comics is not protecting the community. The posters who know about him will most likely not deal with him but what about the ample posters that don’t know who he is. Who’s protecting them?

IMO I care more about the members who do the right thing day after day then this poster who has been nothing but a problem since he arrived here.

The PL is not about being an indelible mark upon someone. "Personal lists" can be permanent "do not deal with" lists. The PL is intended to be a mechanism to get buyers and sellers who have run afoul of the norms to make amends and get back in good standing.

The HOS is for indelible marks.

I don't necessarily disagree with your thoughts or your position, but the PL has never been intended to "protect" n00bs or those unaware of someone's dealings.

+ 1.

No dog in this fight however Rich is satisfied with the outcome. If there are others that have been wronged by Ave let them stand up and present themselves and thier cases. If he is on the list for other transactions other than the one with Rich those would/should need to be resolved prior to removal. At least in this instance he was given an out and walked through the right door.

He shouldn't be black-balled entirely unless there is more to the story.

I've updated the list.

+ 1.

The PL is not about being an indelible mark upon someone. "Personal lists" can be permanent "do not deal with" lists. The PL is intended to be a mechanism to get buyers and sellers who have run afoul of the norms to make amends and get back in good standing.

I don't necessarily disagree with your thoughts or your position, but the PL has never been intended to "protect" n00bs or those unaware of someone's dealings.

That's why we have HarveySwick, he's been protecting n00bs since 2012 :thumbsup:

+ 1.

Agreed.

I've updated the list.

Dang you're quicker than me. (thumbs u

Hey Rich! Its been a while. Just FYI we all run the PL List. One of the few areas on the boards Arch placed in the hands of us boardies. So us boardies add or remove list folk as long as the requirements have been met.

I just wanted to give a shout out to The Boards in general, and endorse what a great online resource this place is.

I'll never know for sure but I think I may have averted a disaster.

In the last 24 hours I spotted a great book which I really wanted on ebay. The price was high, well high for me, over $450.

I approached the seller about flexibility on price and after some negotiation we agreed on a price with shipping of $425.

Now I really really want this book however there were two things bothering me. Firstly the nature of the guy's messages. Very reticent, quite terse, one & two word messages, literally. Considering I was doing my best to shove a heap of dollars in his hand, his replies were at best abrupt. I'm not expecting literary prose in messages, but a little bit of basic friendliness and civility especially when you are spending a fair amount of money with someone is not too unreasonable is it?

Secondly there was something that bothered me about the ebay handle. I recognised the name but couldn't place it. I racked my brains and tried to remember if I had ever done business with this person before but I had not, yet the name was giving me a bad feeling.

About an hour ago I received a message asking if I wanted the book, yes or no?

I hadn't paid because of the time difference etc. I replied I would be paying in a few hours, when funds come thru'.

This I confess was just a stalling tactic because there was still something niggling at me...and then I found it. I just noticed the guy's name is on the probation list for previous questionable practice.

I'm really gutted because I wanted the book but ignoring sound advice/warnings from this Board is asking for trouble.

It may well have been the sale would have proceeded without a hitch. I'll never know, but I'm not prepared to take that chance.

Thanks to these Boards. :applause: