• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

Ha! Well, if people want to give me some hell about it, that's their prerogative. No skin off my back. I just thought people would want to know. If for nothing else, than to not have him in the raffle next year.

Seems PL worthy to me. Are you nominating jop? If so, did you send him a PM in a new thread telling him so?

I've deal with Jop a number of times and I've reached out to him as well. I will try and contact him via eBay today as well. Currently I'm out of town so it might take some time for me to respond if he gets back to me but will ask him to come here and address the questions being raised.

Have we heard from anyone else yet? It's possible other people got their stuff. What I was trying to say is from his posting pattern he's skipped weeks before.

I've had a few transactions with John and never a problem, but he must sometimes be away because things were not always answered the same day.

I really want jop to address all this and if there is some explanation, then I'll be very sorry about getting all of this started.

However, when you are supposed to be sending things out and you are buying things at the same time that you're telling people you don't have the money to send the stuff out, then I don't see how there could be an explanation.

Seems PL worthy to me.

I tend to agree. Let me point out the similarity between this situation and the situation back in August when manicnerd wanted to nominate someone to the PL for not shipping an item from the PIF thread (this post will get you back in the vicinity of that discussion: CLICK ) . There was a heated debate about whether that situation would qualify for the PL, based on technical definitions of the word "transaction", etc. There was so much flak, manicnerd wound up dropping the whole PL nomination idea. So, if jop gets nominated, let's just remember it the next time someone wants to nominate someone from the PIF context...we need to have consistency. Perhaps we need to revisit the discussion of setting up separate PL "sub-sections" or something for failure to deliver on things like PIF/Secret Santa/raffle situations...there seemingly wasn't enough push to see it through to implementation during the last discussion.

Ok so I spoke briefly to jop aka John and he's going through some major personal issues at this time

At this point it's not so much an issue of getting the funds to ship the items but more that he cannot access the items

I do not want to reveal too many of the details because of the personal nature involved

That being said, I want to avoid having him added to the PL by making up for any missed raffle items

I know some folks here have already volunteered items but I don't want him to owe anything to anyone and I'm willing to make up all 8 items

Problem is I'm currently out of town and returning on Wednesay so I can't look at what I have available to ship

I am stepping out in a bit but will check Pms and this thread later on

I will also contact all the members he owes items directly

Ok so I spoke briefly to jop aka John and he's going through some major personal issues at this time

At this point it's not so much an issue of getting the funds to ship the items but more that he cannot access the items

I do not want to reveal too many of the details because of the personal nature involved

That being said, I want to avoid having him added to the PL by making up for any missed raffle items

I know some folks here have already volunteered items but I don't want him to owe anything to anyone and I'm willing to make up all 8 items

Problem is I'm currently out of town and returning on Wednesay so I can't look at what I have available to ship

I think we already have the situation in hand,thanks though.

???

That's good to hear. I haven't kept up with all the threads on the subject so if anyone still needs to be made whole please let me know

Sometimes there are reasons for things that don't SEEM to make sense, but once you find out the truth, it does make sense... and sometimes those reasons are very personal and the person involved doesn't want to post them on a chatboard that's accessible to the world..

With all the drama we've had on this thread in the past few weeks, I'm really proud of the fact that we have some really wonderful people here...check this out...

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7471688&fpart=176

and thank you, Hector, too!

Seems PL worthy to me.

I tend to agree. Let me point out the similarity between this situation and the situation back in August when manicnerd wanted to nominate someone to the PL for not shipping an item from the PIF thread (this post will get you back in the vicinity of that discussion: CLICK ) . There was a heated debate about whether that situation would qualify for the PL, based on technical definitions of the word "transaction", etc. There was so much flak, manicnerd wound up dropping the whole PL nomination idea. So, if jop gets nominated, let's just remember it the next time someone wants to nominate someone from the PIF context...we need to have consistency. Perhaps we need to revisit the discussion of setting up separate PL "sub-sections" or something for failure to deliver on things like PIF/Secret Santa/raffle situations...there seemingly wasn't enough push to see it through to implementation during the last discussion.

You are absolutely right Edowen. I actually brought this up somewhere yesterday and pm'd Lance about this past incident and the outcome. I think the two scenarios are almost exactly the same but curious if it is viewed different because it is a Christmas raffle and not junk donkeys swapping trash. If Jop is going through problems I really would not want him to get PL over it, but then again from a skeptical point of view, why would he be buying books then? I dunno... (shrug)

There have been instances in the past where people didn't get their stuff, or someone bailed because their SS was in another country. As appears to be the case here, others have always stepped up.

This may be a perfect opportunity to set up a non-sales-transaction bad actor list.

+1 I have agreed with this for a long time. People sometimes do things that are just wrong and may not be related to an actual transaction. There should be a place to document and warn about that.

There have been instances in the past where people didn't get their stuff, or someone bailed because their SS was in another country. As appears to be the case here, others have always stepped up.

This may be a perfect opportunity to set up a non-sales-transaction bad actor list.

SABOD-LIST...for short.

SABOD-LIST...for short.

DOBAS It sounds better backwards.

I'll never understand some of this bleeding heart mentality on the boards. I get that some of you want to find the best in people, which is a wonderful trait. But that's wholly different from just ignoring facts. Jop messed up and is now.

In the two months since the holiday raffle, he started I think 7 sales threads, sold over $1k, and spent for himself over $300 (which would've been more than enough to cover shipping of all the raffle items he offered). He's also been participating in discussions all over the boards, with no hint or mention of distress from what I could see.

So the excuse here of 'personal issues' and the one he gave Lance of 'broke ' just don't fly. I get people have lives outside of the boards, that unfortunately can get bad. But to use the personal issue excuse to cherry pick how it affects your actions on the boards is extremely disingenuous.

I'll never understand some of this bleeding heart mentality on the boards. I get that some of you want to find the best in people, which is a wonderful trait. But that's wholly different from just ignoring facts. Jop messed up and is now.

In the two months since the holiday raffle, he started I think 7 sales threads, sold over $1k, and spent for himself over $300 (which would've been more than enough to cover shipping of all the raffle items he offered). He's also been participating in discussions all over the boards, with no hint or mention of distress from what I could see.

So the excuse here of 'personal issues' and the one he gave Lance of 'broke ' just don't fly. I get people have lives outside of the boards, that unfortunately can get bad. But to use the personal issue excuse to cherry pick how it affects your actions on the boards is extremely disingenuous.

Maybe everyone should just PM the guy and ask him since he does not want to post the reason.

I know I'm not a bleeding heart and I thought he had a good reason...My suggestion is that he should just post the truth and explain, but I'm not him.

Of course I'm not exactly a pitchfork person either... :foryou: