• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

And just for clarity - take a look at the last four pages of posts. All pretty clean. I know everyone likes to talk about due diligence but if you take a look at what is available doing a username search (4 pages only), at first glance - he looks legit.

Then, if you're a new user, know what you're doing and look up his posts, you have to go 11 pages in before you get to the shilling discussion from 5 months ago.

It's not realistic to think that a new user comes to this community and will read 100+ posts on each and every seller he intends to do business with to find out if they are legit. So, rather than chastise new users for making the error of dealing with someone here that they should instinctually know not to deal with - perhaps the better side of the discussion is to figure out how to make questionable sellers who aren't on the PL more visible to the average boardie.

Would it be too much to ask the mods to add a note to their profile - maybe in the same section where they place custom titles - that says if they are in the HOS or PL list?

We can ask......

Some guys can't control themselves in the face of four color funnies. lol

I don't subscribe to the "you get what you deserve" aspect of that. There are plenty of ways to hide shady behavior here because there is such a huge grey area between Kudos and the PL.

I think it's a great idea, but sadly I think it's already been suggested and the response was that the HOS/PL is a community started thread as a way to self police. It's not something started or tracked by CGC so they don't want the headache of dealing with that - updating and tracking. They've repeatedly said the community is responsible for self-policing itself. :sorry:

I don't subscribe to the "you get what you deserve" aspect of that. There are plenty of ways to hide shady behavior here because there is such a huge grey area between Kudos and the PL.

However, Chris' point is valid. Any number of people will conveniently ignore that a person has acted reprehensibly as long as that person has sweet, sweet comics to pimp.

And just for clarity - take a look at the last four pages of posts. All pretty clean. I know everyone likes to talk about due diligence but if you take a look at what is available doing a username search (4 pages only), at first glance - he looks legit.

Then, if you're a new user, know what you're doing and look up his posts, you have to go 11 pages in before you get to the shilling discussion from 5 months ago.

It's not realistic to think that a new user comes to this community and will read 100+ posts on each and every seller he intends to do business with to find out if they are legit. So, rather than chastise new users for making the error of dealing with someone here that they should instinctually know not to deal with - perhaps the better side of the discussion is to figure out how to make questionable sellers who aren't on the PL more visible to the average boardie.

Would it be too much to ask the mods to add a note to their profile - maybe in the same section where they place custom titles - that says if they are in the HOS or PL list?

I think we're on our own here, and if the sales area becomes too much of a problem - we run the risk of losing it altogether. Boardies don't want a rating system, and it's likely that mods will not interfere with any sales transgressions - so options are limited.

I toyed with a third-party rating system, but it's not terribly secure. Still looking for better options that sellers can opt-in on...

Talking about Wolfpack06.

Oh, that guy....sadly it looks like he will be a one-man wolfpack from here on in...

I agree there's a huge gap in there.

Of course it's not just in this forum that this phenomenon exists. Checking CG any week and you'll find tales from LCS and conventions across the world of guys that are true scumbags but they have "X" book that's been on a want list and thus all is ignored.

People just need to resist the urge for material items if the cost is personal integrity and rewarding (and thus perpetuating) negativity.

Of course it's not just in this forum that this phenomenon exists. Checking CG any week and you'll find tales from LCS and conventions across the world of guys that are true scumbags but they have "X" book that's been on a want list and thus all is ignored.

People just need to resist the urge for material items if the cost is personal integrity and rewarding (and thus perpetuating) negativity.

Agreed on those points for sure - but in this case, I'm talking about a new boardie getting boned by someone who spent the past 5 months "making amends" only to screw someone over again eventually. And it would likely be someone who wasn't familiar with this assclown's previous transgressions - because that's the only people who would be dealing with him.

Nevermind that last part - see my next post.

Agreed on those points for sure - but in this case, I'm talking about a new boardie getting boned by someone who spent the past 5 months "making amends" only to screw someone over again eventually. And it would likely be someone who wasn't familiar with this assclown's previous transgressions - because that's the only people who would be dealing with him.

Yeah, that's the gap. If they aren't on the PL people might miss it.

I had Symbi on my mind when I originally posted that. There's been a bit of a rush to forgive guys like that even when they don't really ask for, earn, want, or truly deserve to be forgiven. It seems to always bite this forum in the hind parts. The rush to give that guy a 2nd (3rd) chance with all the red flags present seemed to include people from both the "quick to be sympathetic" and "personally greedy" camps. lol

I remember that thread. Blatant pandering to the board in an effort to try and buy his way back in. It was so thinly veiled (if veiled at all) what he was trying to do. Selling books so far below market, right after he got hammered for his actions, looked like a guy handing out $20's to the jury as they walked out to deliberate on his case.

:facepalm:

Yeah, that's the gap. If they aren't on the PL people might miss it.

I had Symbi on my mind when I originally posted that. There's been a bit of a rush to forgive guys like that even when they don't really ask for, earn, want, or truly deserve to be forgiven. It seems to always bite this forum in the hind parts. The rush to give that guy a 2nd (3rd) chance with all the red flags present seemed to include people from both the "quick to be sympathetic" and "personally greedy" camps. lol

Well, he managed to run a few sales threads and keep things on the level - but his shortcomings caught up with him again. And I'm going to hope it will be the last time.

As much as I don't like nominating everyone to the HOS, I am particularly not fond of people who take second chances and all over them. Symb is HOS material simply because I don't think anyone wants him selling, period. And (I believe) the HOS will be the only way that he's not allowed to start a sales thread, right?

I remember that thread. Blatant pandering to the board in an effort to try and buy his way back in. It was so thinly veiled (if veiled at all) what he was trying to do. Selling books so far below market, right after he got hammered for his actions, looked like a guy handing out $20's to the jury as they walked out to deliberate on his case.

Heck...that's going on right now.

HOS doesn't prevent anyone from selling. It will just effectively cut off most public buyers from him. I say public because see Solarcadet. :facepalm:

That's right. Is it threadkrapping if it's pointed out they are on the HOS?

Who is going to stop him from starting a sales thread? Asking because I am genuinely curious.

From the way I've seen it. When a thread is started by a HOS member the mods have allowed a single post (not a pile-on) informing the seller, and potential buyers of his status.

Also there is nothing stopping people from PMing people who have bought in the thread and sending them a link to the HOS status. If they weren't aware of that fact before purchasing it has been grounds for canceling the purchase without PL repercussions in the past.

I am not sure if any of that has changed, given the mods new threadcrapping extinction agenda, but that's how it's worked in the past.

Heck...that's going on right now.

lol Yup

HOS doesn't prevent anyone from selling. It will just effectively cut off most public buyers from him. I say public because see Solarcadet. :facepalm:

That's right. Is it threadkrapping if it's pointed out they are on the HOS?

That's where I am not sure. As I just posted, in the past people could post once in the thread informing the seller (and buyers) of his status.

I don't think it is. I think people think threadkrapping is anything OTHER than :takeit:

or "GLWTS!"....

But as we've seen, the mods don't hand out strikes for community policing - that's what they are instructing us to do. I think people have even said "all potential buyers, please be aware that this person is on the HOS/PL" and leave it at that.

We saw it with Adam and F.Palma. Solarcadet's lame attempt to bait people to get strikes resulted in zero strikes.

I think threadkrapping is basically going into someone's sales thread and talking about how ridiculous or high their prices are or saying negative things about the person. Simply referring potential buyers to the community maintained list is NOT threadkrapping. 2c