• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

I have two questions for oceanavekid (or anyone for that matter):

1) If anyone other than jawn came to the thread and :takeit: , would this change the outlook on the matter for some people?

2) The issue here revolves around one book - the DC Comics Presents being discussed by jawn and oceanavekid via PM. But were the other books still available for sale? Again - if a random buyer saw a book in that thread and :takeit: - would the sale be honored? And should it be?

hm

:bump:

For those focusing on the length of time a sales thread is open and trying to interpret the specific intent of words used via PM.

CGC Posting Made Easy

:D - this method is not restricted to use with errors, feel free to utilize this in any thread where problems arise from e-bay, packaging problem, high shipping costs etc..etc..

My opinion is :blahblah:

When it happened to me, this is why I am a great seller :blahblah:

:eyeroll:

I have two questions for oceanavekid (or anyone for that matter):

1) If anyone other than jawn came to the thread and :takeit: , would this change the outlook on the matter for some people?

2) The issue here revolves around one book - the DC Comics Presents being discussed by jawn and oceanavekid via PM. But were the other books still available for sale? Again - if a random buyer saw a book in that thread and :takeit: - would the sale be honored? And should it be?

hm

:bump:

For those focusing on the length of time a sales thread is open and trying to interpret the specific intent of words used via PM.

Where is this addressed in the bumped message? If PM activity keeps the thread fresh then the content MUST be considered.

:taptaptap:

Edited by bababooey

In this case, I don't know if it's clear, given that Oceanavekid actually did make more on eBay...and I don't have much sympathy for the seller in this case. I'm just trying to see both sides.

This is the biggest issue I have with this thread. If he wanted to hold onto it it wouldn't go on ebay hours later to make 2x what he was asking here.

Just recently I sold some JIM's on the boards. I accidentally typed in the price $100 rather than $200 for one of the issues. Rather than telling the buyer to bugger off, I made a mistake and am honoring the price. The book was gobbled up faster than the "week" it took for Kids book to be.

We have also seen this in CG where 1Cool priced the book wrong on ebay and what did he do? To his dismay sucked it up and shipped it out.

I think Kid needs to PM Jawn and try and work this out however that may be the first thing is "Sorry I screwed up, how can we get passed this".

I never thought he wanted to hold on to it to keep it. I always interpreted his wanting to hold on to it, to make more money. What he needed to say was the truth, I want to try it on eBay at auction. The problem I'm having is whether that was something the buyer understood. I have nothing against the buyer, they are both relatively new. It's the amount of drama we now have when one person might make a few extra $$ and another might get a bargain that makes me uncomfortable.

I've done a typo or two myself and honored the price. Last thing I did was offer free shipping and forgot to write US only, lol..it was for slabs. I did pay for the shipping out of the US, it was my mistake after all... but the winner was a very nice guy who bought something from me again.

I do remember now to write free shipping in the US only;) .

This is not supposed to be a high pressure cut throat kind of place. We are a community of "collectors".

This is where I'm coming from as well. I've never tried to force someone to sell me a comic. It's weird.

The idea that someone pops in to my sales thread that hasn't seen an update in a couple months and posts the :takeit: on a book and I'm required to honor that because I specifically didn't close the thread is absolute wildly_fanciful_statement.

These boards aren't ebay where books are listed for weeks and months and years. This isn't a dealer's website. This is, as Sharon said, a community of collectors.

This is not supposed to be a high pressure cut throat kind of place. We are a community of "collectors".

This is where I'm coming from as well. I've never tried to force someone to sell me a comic. It's weird.

It is very weird but it is the norm for theses boards. Half the PL list is buyers that didn't follow through.

Seriously, if your argument is the thread was stagnant for a week so theoretically it was CLOSED by the expiration of a certain period of time, when jawn PMed oceanavekid regarding a book in the thread, why didn't oceanavekid SAY - in plain, easily understood language - that the book is unavailable and the thread is closed and mark is thread CLOSED? He had almost a day from. jawn's first inquiry and was around and available as he was commenting in other threads. :makepoint:

Were the other books available for sale or JUST the book that oceanavekid realiEd he might be able to get more money on eBay? :popcorn:

The idea that someone pops in to my sales thread that hasn't seen an update in a couple months and posts the :takeit: on a book and I'm required to honor that because I specifically didn't close the thread is absolute wildly_fanciful_statement.

These boards aren't ebay where books are listed for weeks and months and years. This isn't a dealer's website. This is, as Sharon said, a community of collectors.

It was just over a day. ;)

Shouldn't a simple..."I am sorry but I didn't close the thread THREE years ago. The book isn't available", be enough?

It's common sense.

Does that apply to 3 hour old threads as well?

In this case, yes. However, that poll suggests a much longer time frame.

If someone pops the BIN on a three year old sales thread and expects that the book is still available, then that's not an idea rooted in reality. Seriously, who does that? Oh wait, it's happened from time to time.

If someone pops the BIN on a three year old sales thread and expects that the book is still available, then that's not an idea rooted in reality. Seriously, who does that? Oh wait, it's happened from time to time.

I read the poll as 7 days. Gotta love the world of stats.

In this case, I don't know if it's clear, given that Oceanavekid actually did make more on eBay...and I don't have much sympathy for the seller in this case. I'm just trying to see both sides.

This is the biggest issue I have with this thread. If he wanted to hold onto it it wouldn't go on ebay hours later to make 2x what he was asking here.

Just recently I sold some JIM's on the boards. I accidentally typed in the price $100 rather than $200 for one of the issues. Rather than telling the buyer to bugger off, I made a mistake and am honoring the price. The book was gobbled up faster than the "week" it took for Kids book to be.

We have also seen this in CG where 1Cool priced the book wrong on ebay and what did he do? To his dismay sucked it up and shipped it out.

I think Kid needs to PM Jawn and try and work this out however that may be the first thing is "Sorry I screwed up, how can we get passed this".

I never thought he wanted to hold on to it to keep it. I always interpreted his wanting to hold on to it, to make more money.

And I believe that too. It all stems back to honouring the offer of the book and communication.

If someone lists a book in their thread and its a book that is peaking fast, for argument sake the book is listed in "MIXED" late evening on a Friday of a long weekend, someone snaps a bin on it Tuesday morning are we giving them an out saying oh that is no longer valid?

It is very weird but it is the norm for theses boards. Half the PL list is buyers that didn't follow through.

Paraphrasing recap/comprehension analysis:

Ryan: I would never force a seller to sell me a book.

Branget: That is why so many buyers are on the PL.

hm

Seriously, if your argument is the thread was stagnant for a week so theoretically it was CLOSED by the expiration of a certain period of time, when jawn PMed oceanavekid regarding a book in the thread, why didn't oceanavekid SAY - in plain, easily understood language - that the book is unavailable and the thread is closed and mark is thread CLOSED? He had almost a day from. jawn's first inquiry and was around and available as he was commenting in other threads. :makepoint:

Were the other books available for sale or JUST the book that oceanavekid realiEd he might be able to get more money on eBay? :popcorn:

The PM exchange is what weakens jawn's claim, anyone else claims then it's on oceanavenuekid to clean it up. (I'm a seven day proponent)

Jawn appears to have awareness of what oceanavenuekid meant (from his posts) and he chose not to take any precautions or initiative to try and facilitate a purchase that was agreeable to both parties.

Simple.

Edited by bababooey

The PM exchange is what weakens jawn's claim, anyone else claims then it's on oceanavenuekid to clean it up. (I'm a seven day proponent)

Jawn appears to have awareness of what oceanavenuekid meant (from his posts) and he chose not to take any precautions or initiative to try and facilitate a purchase that was agreeable to both parties.

Simple.

My gut feeling is that oceanavenuekid was stringing Jawn along, but it's just not clear. The facts really don't speak for themselves here.

This is why I'm a proponent of a new list, the stand in the corner till you grow up list. I suggest we name it the GIJOEisnotreallythatawesome list.

If we put oceanavekid on it till he "matures" a bit, it would solve the problem.

I read the poll as 7 days. Gotta love the world of stats.

And it all comes down to adding more rules where they might not be needed. Was this an issue before Jawn/Kid? (I don't know, I'm asking)