• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

Ryan, I'd agree with you IF this was an old thread and an oversight regarding closing it down.

That's NOT the case here though. Before jawn added the :takeit: in the thread, he had been discussing the book with oceanavekid for a full day. Meaning IF the thread really was closed, why didn't he update it as such if that was his intention? The rules are clear that sellers are responsible for their threads. He didn't want it closed. :gossip:

This isn't a long-time, respected seller. This is a guy who has constantly bent and broken the rules. He has had two or three recent sales threads pulled by the mods for simultaneously having books for sale here and listed on eBay. In one instance he had a sales thread pulled and complained about the mods having a personal agenda against him and he had no more books listed on eBay while starting a new sales thread. Guess what - the books he listed here were STILL up for sale on eBay, this guy is either the dumbest guy to sell things or he is consciously and repeatedly breaking the rules. The sales thread being left open was not an oversight in this instance. (tsk)

The seller's a dongface with a long history of dongfacedness. Gotcha. But how now does he get himself off the PL? Send the buyer a fat stack of cash? Source the same book and sell it to the buyer for $110?

If I was in his shoes, I would apologize publically to Jawn for MY mistake/wrong doing, and offer to make a charitable donation, for removal from the list.

If I was in his shoes, I would apologize publically to Jawn for MY mistake/wrong doing, and offer to make a charitable donation, for removal from the list.

+1

How is the seller supposed to get off the list? Send the wouldbe buyer the monetary delta between what the book was offered for here and what it sold for on ebay? That would be dumb.

Funny you should say that.

That, I don't know. Usually in the recent instances I've seen - Venom and Tibex82 - the sellers usually start with "I'm sorry" and "I made a mistake" and then work something out via PM with the nominator. If the nominator is being completely unreasonable and doesn't want to work things out to spite the guy on the PL, in sure the PL member could publicly post his attempts, warranting a further discussion. oceanavekid is still at the chest pounding stage and doesn't see that he did anything wrong so we can't really figure out the next stage. :sorry:

I guess none of this really satisfies the issue of when a sales thread officially dies. That is a sticky wicket.

Wasn't there a poll?

Apologize?? On the CGC boards????:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

:(

Ryan, I'd agree with you IF this was an old thread and an oversight regarding closing it down.

That's NOT the case here though. Before jawn added the :takeit: in the thread, he had been discussing the book with oceanavekid for a full day. Meaning IF the thread really was closed, why didn't he update it as such if that was his intention? The rules are clear that sellers are responsible for their threads. He didn't want it closed. :gossip:

This isn't a long-time, respected seller. This is a guy who has constantly bent and broken the rules. He has had two or three recent sales threads pulled by the kids for simultaneously having books for sale here and listed on eBay. In one instance he had a sales thread pulled, he complained about the mods having a personal agenda against him and he had no more books listed on eBay while starting a new sales thread. Guess what - the books he listed here were STILL up for sale on eBay, this guy is either the dumbest guy to sell things or he is consciously and repeatedly breaking the rules. The sales thread being left open was not an oversight in this instance. (tsk)

Justin... do you think this really matters in this case? I can send you an immediate link to a "long-time respected seller" who not only blatently broke the rules... but contacted a friend in moderation to allow him to bypass the rules :o

I'm not talking about board etiquette or personal opinions... I'm talking about a actual stated, written rule that was altered based on personal bias/preferential treatment to another member.

The only reason this is allowed to happen is mainly because someone will say "hey you shouldn't mess with them... they are a long time respected member"... plus they have lots of friends on here that will bombard you with that simple statement... leaving the person who wants to do the right thing perplexed to say the least.

Is it fair that a "long time respected seller" gets a pass and a n00b trying to get things right in his first three or four sales doesn't?

Jawn believes he is in the right. Oceanavekid believes he is. There is no answer to this one I don't believe because it's been discussed ad nauseam.

Perhaps the easiest way for us to try to find an answer is to PM sellers with threads that are one week and older to see if their threads are still open if they have no notation stating they are closed.

Any one of us can get the answer from them via PM. If they imply it's closed by stating "that thread is a week old so I would assume it's closed" and we then post :takeit: in their threads for books they still have listed for sale... are they still on the hook? What if they say "I think I sold half of those" and we then go place a :takeit: on one that sold already. Can we hold that seller to the sale? (shrug)

Over the weekend, maybe we should randomly experiment... not to force a sale... but just PM some sellers with week or so old sales threads and ask them their opinion on whether or not their sales threads are closed or open hm

I guess none of this really satisfies the issue of when a sales thread officially dies. That is a sticky wicket.
No, it doesn't. (thumbs u This leaves a loophole for a problem to occur.

This would be an easier way to do it and a great idea :foryou:

Only jawn can answer that. I PM'ed him with a link to this discussion. If he doesn't care about the nomination, let him say that.

I don't think anyone wants to put words in someone else's mouth. If jawn don't care, neither will. (thumbs u

I have started a new job and haven't had as much time to be on here, topped with a power outage last night.

I do stand behind my nomination. My frustration was that it didn't mean anything to him since he just took the book to Ebay and could have cared less. I really don't think the price was that far out of line and stick by what I did. He was bartering and he knows it.

If I was "bartering" I wouldn't have said this

23wso3o.jpg

How is saying my asking price is too low a bartering technique?

You knew I wasn't selling at that price and still tried to claim it

As i've said before this is only an issue because I didn't take the book down like I should have thats it

My question is, with all due respect, how experienced in the comic collectables (and collectables market in general) the seller is. I've been collecting for 20 years just about, been doing the convention scene for about 10. During that time dealers have used the following (or some variation of them) techniques more times than I can count:

"I'm already taking a loss on the book as it's priced, I'll just hang on to it I guess."

"Have you looked at eBay recently, at that price I'm practically giving you a profit, I might as well keep it and sell it there" (one of my all time favorites personally)

"That book has sentimental value to me, Id really rather hold on to it"

"Eh it's already x% under guide"

Notice that almost all of those statements are saying that I priced the book too low, with the intent of soliciting higher numbers/come up to sticker price. That is the reason so many people are jumping on you and saying that it is a bargaining technique, because it is one we've seen hundreds/thousands of times.

Michael, the "long-time, respected seller" statement was used to segue into the discussion of looking at the totality of the circumstances. Big picture. The time he has been here doesn't dictate the quality of the seller so I'm sorry if that was confusing. :foryou: It was meant to show this isn't just a black and white case. You end to look at everything involved - including the seller and his actions.

And Ryan, regarding your closed thread discussion:

Picture any other seller here that knows what he is doing. If he has a sales thread that is stagnant and a week old and someone PMs the seller about a book - if the thread really is CLOSED in the seller's mind - what does the seller do:

First - what does he say to the person PMing him?

Second - again, IF the thread is closed, what action does he take?

Only jawn can answer that. I PM'ed him with a link to this discussion. If he doesn't care about the nomination, let him say that.

I don't think anyone wants to put words in someone else's mouth. If jawn don't care, neither will. (thumbs u

I have started a new job and haven't had as much time to be on here, topped with a power outage last night.

I do stand behind my nomination. My frustration was that it didn't mean anything to him since he just took the book to Ebay and could have cared less. I really don't think the price was that far out of line and stick by what I did. He was bartering and he knows it.

23wso3o.jpg

As i've said before this is only an issue because I didn't take the book down like I should have thats it

My question is, with all due respect, how experienced in the comic collectables (and collectables market in general) the seller is. I've been collecting for 20 years just about, been doing the convention scene for about 10. During that time dealers have used the following (or some variation of them) techniques more times than I can count:

"I'm already taking a loss on the book as it's priced, I'll just hang on to it I guess."

"Have you looked at eBay recently, at that price I'm practically giving you a profit, I might as well keep it and sell it there" (one of my all time favorites personally)

Notice that almost all of those statements are saying that I priced the book too low, with the intent of soliciting higher numbers/come up to sticker price. That is the reason so many people are jumping on you and saying that it is a bargaining technique, because it is one we've seen hundreds/thousands of times.

Yup. (thumbs u

Sometimes a seller uses the language that Oceanavekid used as a sales tool. Something to make the potential buyer run to purchase.

In this case, I don't know if it's clear, given that Oceanavekid actually did make more on eBay...and I don't have much sympathy for the seller in this case. I'm just trying to see both sides.

However, as far as open sales threads go.

This is not supposed to be a high pressure cut throat kind of place. We are a community of "collectors". At least some of us are most of the time;)

I've had people ask me months after a thread ended if something was still available.

They ASK, I answer..yes or no.

Simple...easy, no drama.

23wso3o.jpg

There are two things not clearly stated in the PM, together the intimation is clear.

Sellers desire to hold onto the book.

Sellers desire to get a better price than already attached to the book in his week old sales thread.

Misreading the first as a negotiation technique is wishful thinking at best when the second comment is considered.

meh

Anyone interested in voting on the general question of how long an inactive sales thread should remain open can vote HERE!!!!

Results so far are very mixed. :D

148019.jpg.84758780053220888d858431c8d8294e.jpg

Edited by bababooey

In this case, I don't know if it's clear, given that Oceanavekid actually did make more on eBay...and I don't have much sympathy for the seller in this case. I'm just trying to see both sides.

This is the biggest issue I have with this thread. If he wanted to hold onto it it wouldn't go on ebay hours later to make 2x what he was asking here.

Just recently I sold some JIM's on the boards. I accidentally typed in the price $100 rather than $200 for one of the issues. Rather than telling the buyer to bugger off, I made a mistake and am honoring the price. The book was gobbled up faster than the "week" it took for Kids book to be.

We have also seen this in CG where 1Cool priced the book wrong on ebay and what did he do? To his dismay sucked it up and shipped it out.

I think Kid needs to PM Jawn and try and work this out however that may be the first thing is "Sorry I screwed up, how can we get passed this".

23wso3o.jpg

There are two things not clearly stated in the PM, together the intimation is clear.

Sellers desire to hold onto the book.

Sellers desire to get a better price than already attached to the book in his week old sales thread.

Misreading the first as a negotiation technique is wishful thinking at best when the second comment is considered.

meh

Baba:

I'm not weighing in on what his intentions are regarding the sale and if he should be on the PL. My comment was responding ONLY to his statement "How is saying my asking price is too low a bartering technique?"

This is not supposed to be a high pressure cut throat kind of place. We are a community of "collectors".

This is where I'm coming from as well. I've never tried to force someone to sell me a comic. It's weird.