• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

Thats a good question. I am completely against lifetime warranties or anything over a year really and this is coming from someone who only buys here. Anything over that time period it would be nice if seller makes it right but not PL worthy (assuming there is no evidence of intentional deceit).

I understand your concern, but this particular nomination will not be setting that precedent. Rupp has not claimed a right of lifetime return, nor do I think anyone has explicitly defended the idea. Many have been persuaded in this particular case because the seller did include a general guarantee that the book was not restored, and Rupp has posted that information and it is public knowledge.

Rupp has in fact specifically limited the seller's liability and been very reasonable about it, if this case leads to any precedent it probably would be a good one. 2c

Have you ever heard of somebody nominating someone for the PL for not supplying donated books (paid for by the buyer) from a charity thread? That will probably happen in about 1 week unless I hear something from the charity thread coordinator.

Have you ever heard of somebody nominating someone for the PL for not supplying donated books (paid for by the buyer) from a charity thread? That will probably happen in about 1 week unless I hear something from the charity thread coordinator.

That is horrible.

Absolutely.

This is even more heinous than the normal type of failed transaction.

So what happens in a situation where some people think someone should go on the PL and some people don't?

I would think it doesn't matter what we think. The nominator complied with the rules. He nominated someone for not completing the deal within 30 days (i.e. he bargained to purchase a Batman 19 unrestored and got a restored Bat 19), the seller has taken no steps to rectify the issue, the nominator PMed about the nomination, 3 days have passed, and nothing has been said by the seller. He should be added to the list.

So, by your logic, if a seller does not promise an unrestored book, there is no guarantee it is unrestored? Because if that's the thing you're hanging your hat on to justify requiring a 1 year return policy, I think you're opening a can of worms.

How long is the return period if the seller doesn't say the book is unequivocably unrestored? 1 year? 1 month? Never?

Me, personally, I want to shut the door on a transaction at some point. Further, shouldn't there be some obligation on a buyer to decide whether they are keeping or returning a book (for any permitted reason) within a reasonable period of time?

Absolutely.

...... oddly enough, I just realized that I had neglected to mail out a charity book from quite a while back..... I contacted the buyer, apologizing profusely, and it turned out he had forgotten all about it. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Absolutely.

...... oddly enough, I just realized that I had neglected to mail out a charity book from quite a while back..... I contacted the buyer, apologizing profusely, and it turned out he had forgotten all about it. GOD BLESS...

That's because you're a good man Jimbo. (worship)

I, unfortunately, am the buyer of a donated book but I don't know who the donator is. I've attempted to contact the charity thread coordinator a number of times through both PMs and through his e-mail (Paypal) address and he hasn't read the PMs nor responded to e-mails. And it's been 3 weeks since I paid for the book. I'm waiting for the 30 days before nomination.

There's also one other boardie who hasn't received his book either. In both his case and mine, I don't think the donators even know the books are paid for.

Sigh...I must nominate mikeggg for the Probation List :(

Story is as follows...

Purchased a Batman # 19 off mikeegg that came back with a Married cover and replaced staples.

I had owned this for a year (paid for it around 4/17/13) before I sent it in to have it graded.

I had done a fair amount of business with mikeggg (buying and selling) and was not informed of any work being done to the book... nor was the concept of a married cover revealed to me at any time during my purchase of this book.

The sales thread...

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=295665&Number=6612058#Post6612058

Finally got it sent to CGC... and I let Mike know asap as to the green label designation that was assigned the book through the following PMs...

Sent a PM about this on 5/17/14 which was read and not answered.

Sent another PM about this on 11/9/14 which was read and not answered.

Sent another PM on 2/8/15 which was read and not answered.

Sent one last PM on 5/19/15 which was finally read after I posted the book for sale (and the history of purchase) from here...

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=379541&Number=8628367#Post8628367

Mike PMd me back on 5/25/15 and explained that he hadn't been on the boards much due to a family/relationship crisis... yet he was able to read my PMs over the past year and not respond.

Mike offered no restitution or any attempt to rectify the situation in his PM.

I PM'd him back (on 5/26/15) stating I understood family problems and all I wanted was a $60 refund on this $300+ purchase to cover my slabbing and postage fees concerning the book. The book had been in my possession a year and didn't feel I warranted a full refund, I figure slabbing and shipping fees are really all I need back. This PM still sets unread.

I understand that mistakes happen concerning catching book repair (I've missed a few myself over the years, and was quick to make things right with the buyer)... I just never would have had the book slabbed had I known the history and true condition of it.

I have sent Mike a separate PM telling him of my intentions of nominating him here. I, again, hate to do it due to Mike's and my positive buying/selling history... but this isn't the way to treat repeat business.

xxx ooo

Rupp

Well, I've received no return contact from my separate PM concerning this issue.

Have we reached a consensus concerning this nomination or is more discussion required?

xxx ooo

Rupp

I've added mikeegg to the list. (thumbs u

Absolutely.

I, unfortunately, am the buyer of a donated book but I don't know who the donator is. I've attempted to contact the charity thread coordinator a number of times through both PMs and through his e-mail (Paypal) address and he hasn't read the PMs nor responded to e-mails. And it's been 3 weeks since I paid for the book. I'm waiting for the 30 days before nomination.

There's also one other boardie who hasn't received his book either. In both his case and mine, I don't think the donators even know the books are paid for.

Phew. I was worried it was from the Stormsurge thread! :P

Absolutely.

If it's the same charity thread, I never received anything I paid for either, so make it three...I had completely forgotten about it until you brought it up. I send some extra money, directly to the person running the thread in addition to what I bought, he reminded me to pay, after I did, so maybe he's a little confused.:shrug:. ?

He's always seemed genuine and he has not posted since the 18th, I hope nothing is wrong.

Absolutely.

Mike, what was the book? Also, is it an active Boardie that donated, or someone that may have drifted away from the Boards?

Also if this is the Benjamin Grimm cancer thread, I haven't gotten my book either. :facepalm:

That would be the one Sean.

So make that 4 people with no book received. :facepalm:

I'm on year 3 of waiting for something I paid for in a donation thread but I've long let it go.

via Imgflip Meme Maker

Not that anyone SHOULD let something like that go.