• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

Sigh...I must nominate mikeggg for the Probation List :(

Story is as follows...

Purchased a Batman # 19 off mikeegg that came back with a Married cover and replaced staples.

I had owned this for a year (paid for it around 4/17/13) before I sent it in to have it graded.

I had done a fair amount of business with mikeggg (buying and selling) and was not informed of any work being done to the book... nor was the concept of a married cover revealed to me at any time during my purchase of this book.

The sales thread...

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=295665&Number=6612058#Post6612058

Finally got it sent to CGC... and I let Mike know asap as to the green label designation that was assigned the book through the following PMs...

Sent a PM about this on 5/17/14 which was read and not answered.

Sent another PM about this on 11/9/14 which was read and not answered.

Sent another PM on 2/8/15 which was read and not answered.

Sent one last PM on 5/19/15 which was finally read after I posted the book for sale (and the history of purchase) from here...

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=379541&Number=8628367#Post8628367

Mike PMd me back on 5/25/15 and explained that he hadn't been on the boards much due to a family/relationship crisis... yet he was able to read my PMs over the past year and not respond.

Mike offered no restitution or any attempt to rectify the situation in his PM.

I PM'd him back (on 5/26/15) stating I understood family problems and all I wanted was a $60 refund on this $300+ purchase to cover my slabbing and postage fees concerning the book. The book had been in my possession a year and didn't feel I warranted a full refund, I figure slabbing and shipping fees are really all I need back. This PM still sets unread.

I understand that mistakes happen concerning catching book repair (I've missed a few myself over the years, and was quick to make things right with the buyer)... I just never would have had the book slabbed had I known the history and true condition of it.

I have sent Mike a separate PM telling him of my intentions of nominating him here. I, again, hate to do it due to Mike's and my positive buying/selling history... but this isn't the way to treat repeat business.

xxx ooo

Rupp

Well, I've received no return contact from my separate PM concerning this issue.

Have we reached a consensus concerning this nomination or is more discussion required?

xxx ooo

Rupp

I've added mikeegg to the list. (thumbs u

Ridiculous.

A board exclusive... Lifetime Color Touch Guarantees! :cloud9:

Yeah, we've heard it. meh

The guy expressly stated "none of these books are restored" and the book was restored.

He also never came here and responded to the nomination and defended his position.

Sorry, forgot you were the only one allowed to be sarcastic or repetitive on the boards.

(thumbs u

As if I don't know what that means. lol

Sigh...I must nominate mikeggg for the Probation List :(

Story is as follows...

Purchased a Batman # 19 off mikeegg that came back with a Married cover and replaced staples.

I had owned this for a year (paid for it around 4/17/13) before I sent it in to have it graded.

I had done a fair amount of business with mikeggg (buying and selling) and was not informed of any work being done to the book... nor was the concept of a married cover revealed to me at any time during my purchase of this book.

The sales thread...

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=295665&Number=6612058#Post6612058

Finally got it sent to CGC... and I let Mike know asap as to the green label designation that was assigned the book through the following PMs...

Sent a PM about this on 5/17/14 which was read and not answered.

Sent another PM about this on 11/9/14 which was read and not answered.

Sent another PM on 2/8/15 which was read and not answered.

Sent one last PM on 5/19/15 which was finally read after I posted the book for sale (and the history of purchase) from here...

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=379541&Number=8628367#Post8628367

Mike PMd me back on 5/25/15 and explained that he hadn't been on the boards much due to a family/relationship crisis... yet he was able to read my PMs over the past year and not respond.

Mike offered no restitution or any attempt to rectify the situation in his PM.

I PM'd him back (on 5/26/15) stating I understood family problems and all I wanted was a $60 refund on this $300+ purchase to cover my slabbing and postage fees concerning the book. The book had been in my possession a year and didn't feel I warranted a full refund, I figure slabbing and shipping fees are really all I need back. This PM still sets unread.

I understand that mistakes happen concerning catching book repair (I've missed a few myself over the years, and was quick to make things right with the buyer)... I just never would have had the book slabbed had I known the history and true condition of it.

I have sent Mike a separate PM telling him of my intentions of nominating him here. I, again, hate to do it due to Mike's and my positive buying/selling history... but this isn't the way to treat repeat business.

xxx ooo

Rupp

Well, I've received no return contact from my separate PM concerning this issue.

Have we reached a consensus concerning this nomination or is more discussion required?

xxx ooo

Rupp

I've added mikeegg to the list. (thumbs u

Ridiculous.

Fixed until there is atleast a vote on how long someone has to nominate.

And the fact that technically the nominated party never came to this thread and presented any argument against the nomination is ignored? hm

If the person nominating has no right to do so then why would there need to be a response?

Was color touch at the center of this particular kerfuffle?

I thought there was a list of issues with that book.

Sorry, forgot you were the only one allowed to be sarcastic or repetitive on the boards.

lol

True, I think there was something about the staple as well, but not to beat a dead donkey but how many years does a buyer have to notice or discover these issues? I truly have yet to see an answer and that is why I keep asking. Is it truly case by case no matter how many years pass?

It wasn't color touch. It was a married cover.

True, I think there was something about the staple as well, but not to beat a dead donkey but how many years does a buyer have to notice or discover these issues? I truly have yet to see an answer and that is why I keep asking. Is it truly case by case no matter how many years pass?

hm

No, we should have a vote and a hard deadline.

Every seller has their own rules for their individual sales thread. You're advocating for a hardline rule for every seller.

What if one seller says "I don't know much about color touch or other restoration techniques. If you would like to return the book, please inspect it yourself and I'll accept returns within 30 days."

Or if an experienced seller says "You buy from me, you can buy with the confidence that the book will be thoroughly reviewed for restoration and I'll gladly accept returns if any are discovered at a later date any time."

Who are we to decide the hardline statute of limitations for individual sellers' threads? That's why everyone adamantly argues against a "Standard Rules." People want freedom to set their own rules.

The guy didn't state a deadline for returns. He DID however expressly state - no restoration.

Quite simply, he sold a book that he didn't have and now is unable to complete the sale within 30 days. :rulez:

I think everyone would have been in agreement that it's Way WAY WAYYYYY too long if the buyer asked for a full refund, but when he came to the table with a very reasonable request for grading and shipping costs. It was hard to deny that the seller should stand behind his claim of "no resto" when the buyer sold the book at a loss and what he's asking for as compensation leaves him still at a loss on the book.

Honestly, the request for less than 20% of the sales price as compensation for a book with MAJOR restoration issues, was so reasonable that it's hard to simply slam the door because it was discovered a year later. The buyer's taken a ton of the blame and financial burden on himself as he should have.

Given how equitable the request is and how blanket the original no resto claim was it's hard to answer an equitable request with inequity.

Every seller has their own rules for their individual sales thread. You're advocating for a hardline rule for every seller.

why not? you can comply with those rules or don't sell here. should we offer lifetime guarantee's next? I think a short period after the book is recieved for a return is reasonable.

hm

No, sellers can make their own rules as they always have. This is simply a deadline to air grievances for the purposes of the PL.

Your 1st example then the buyer has 30 days as per his agreement. If he brings a grievance here after a PL deadline then there is simply no discussion. If he brings the grievance here before the PL deadline and after the 30 days then the seller would simply point out the rules of the sale.

The 2nd example sounds like the buyer would never have a grievance here because a simple PM (required for a PL nomination) would likely end with a satisfied buyer.

At some point, for the PL, a transaction is complete. Whether that is 30 days or 30 years there should be a vote.