• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

Thoughts on this. A buyer agrees to purchase a book.

You send invoice or even before you send invoice buyer sends you a link

to ebay auction asking you to meet that ebay price in the link after he agrees to your price. He has done this to me and another seller now.

What do you guys think about this. I am out not outing the buyer yet just getting some feedback here. Is this now an acceptable way to negotiate? Just to be honest I cancel my transaction because of it. I don't do business with people like that it just strikes me as wrong.

Poor form on buyers part.

What's your return policy, cause if you dont work with him on price, the odds of a return are getting higher....

just cause a past ebay sale was lower doesnt mean todays price should be the same...

to ebay auction asking you to meet that ebay price in the link after he agrees to your price. He has done this to me and another seller now.

What do you guys think about this. I am out not outing the buyer yet just getting some feedback here. Is this now an acceptable way to negotiate? Just to be honest I cancel my transaction because of it. I don't do business with people like that it just strikes me as wrong.

I would have ignored the information about the ebay auction. Its irrelevant to the sale between you and your buyer. Now if you had received that information prior to the sale being consumated (an offer and an acceptance), then it s a different story, and frankly, thats just smart shopping. But its easy to see what happened, your buyer is looking for a book, agrees to buy yours, and then finds the same book cheaper, and just wants a reprieve on paying too much, too soon.

That happens to us as buyers all the time, you look and look and look, and the right after you find it, you find it even cheaper, but there is no reason you should have canceled the transaction as a seller because of that.

It is a scummy thing to do. I would cut ties with the buyer and tell him to get his item somewhere else. No matter what he is not going to be happy now as he will feel that he could have done better. Forcing him to take the book will make him unhappy. Send him on his way to do better. BUT... NEVER do business with him again.

I have mentioned this before. I had a craigslist buyer agree to purchase something. It was a lego set and we agreed on a price of $400. I get in the car and meet at our halfway point. He gets there and says that he feels he could do better elsewhere and instead of paying me $400, he will give me $300. (this had nothing to do with the condition or anything like that). I mentioned that the agreed upon price was $400. He said he really only wanted to spend $300 (or something like that).

Then he told me that I could go home empty handed or go home with $300.

As I got in my car with the Lego set he started offering more.

What a jerk. I still have his emails and credentials saved so I never do business with him be it on Craiglist or anywhere else.

Edited by Buzzetta

.... or just tell them "no". ...... but I agree, as with the example Buzz provided, not my kind of customer...... but then, I've had friends who were actually raised to drive a hard bargain.... and it can get ugly, often backfiring on them. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

..... one of my hard bargain buddies once missed out on a 200 dollar book over 20 bucks.... only to have the same book slabbed at 9.4 and sold for 3K......

My thoughts on this are:

1) He's agreed to a price, he pays that price.

2) It's a sad day when the prices on eBay compare favorably to the prices on the boards.

My thoughts on this are:

2) It's a sad day when the prices on eBay compare favorably to the prices on the boards.

Had a similar situation brought up to me lately by a local collector/friend of mine but as a seller and not as a buyer. Says he was at a guy's house lately, picked up a few books, made an offer on them and the guy readily accepted. Apparently, a few days later the seller calls him (they knew each other previous to this sale) and says "Hey, I think I should have received more for those books than you paid me and feel like you took advantage of me."

HUH? Hey buddy, nobody was holding a gun to your head when he made you the offer. You didn't have to accept and if you felt they worth more you should have asked for more. It's not the buyer's responsibility to make sure you know current prices for stuff. And before one of you throws in the unknowing old man card, the seller is a fairly big collector who should know his stuff but apparently didn't in this particular situation.

My thoughts on this are:

I'm not sure if its THAT sad that ebay is occasionally cheaper than the boards.

There are many, many very reasonable situations why a seller or buyer might be interested in buying or selling on the boards at prices higher than ebay:

1. Many buyers don't mind paying a bit more to buy from someone they know, trust, and have dealt with before.

2. Grading CAN be more accurate here and CAN have bigger/better scans in a lot of cases than ebay sales, those can lead to higher prices realized.

3. Sometimes in a given sales thread there might be items less than ebay prices and some at more than ebay prices, depending on the margins that the seller would like to get. "You buy 5 comics from me below ebay prices, maybe you buy two more above ebay but you save on combined shipping." This happens ALL the time.

4. Not everyone goes to checks ebay all the time, including buyers and sellers. Sometimes sellers just have a vague idea of the price and throw it out there. "I paid $100 for this, I think this comic is worth about $200 now, I'll list it at $190. But he doesn't know that there's a cheaper one on the 'bay for $185." I don't think that's 'sad' to me. But then again, I've been called a 'robot' before for being emotionless.

5. A seller might list above ebay prices, knowing full well it will be negotiated below the ebay price. BUt that might still generate a higher sale than he otherwise would have gotten if he'd started below the ebay price. Its a strategy. It may not always work, but its a legitimate strategy.

My thoughts on this are:

Had a similar situation brought up to me lately by a local collector/friend of mine but as a seller and not as a buyer. Says he was at a guy's house lately, picked up a few books, made an offer on them and the guy readily accepted. Apparently, a few days later the seller calls him (they knew each other previous to this sale) and says "Hey, I think I should have received more for those books than you paid me and feel like you took advantage of me."

HUH? Hey buddy, nobody was holding a gun to your head when he made you the offer. You didn't have to accept and if you felt they worth more you should have asked for more. It's not the buyer's responsibility to make sure you know current prices for stuff. And before one of you throws in the unknowing old man card, the seller is a fairly big collector who should know his stuff but apparently didn't in this particular situation.

That is comedy gold.

My thoughts on this are:

That is comedy gold.

Someone did that to me once over a trade. They felt that I had gotten the better end of the deal and wanted a trade back. The difference is we were both 10 at the time.

My thoughts on this are:

That is comedy gold.

Someone did that to me once over a trade. They felt that I had gotten the better end of the deal and wanted a trade back. The difference is we were both 10 at the time.

At least yours was more age appropriate. lol

It is a scummy thing to do. I would cut ties with the buyer and tell him to get his item somewhere else. No matter what he is not going to be happy now as he will feel that he could have done better. Forcing him to take the book will make him unhappy. Send him on his way to do better. BUT... NEVER do business with him again.

I have mentioned this before. I had a craigslist buyer agree to purchase something. It was a lego set and we agreed on a price of $400. I get in the car and meet at our halfway point. He gets there and says that he feels he could do better elsewhere and instead of paying me $400, he will give me $300. (this had nothing to do with the condition or anything like that). I mentioned that the agreed upon price was $400. He said he really only wanted to spend $300 (or something like that).

Then he told me that I could go home empty handed or go home with $300.

As I got in my car with the Lego set he started offering more.

What a jerk. I still have his emails and credentials saved so I never do business with him be it on Craiglist or anywhere else.

So do you still have that Lego set? I'll pay $400 this time :)

Not only is it wrong but he should be forced to pay the agreed price and when you ship the book you are allowed trap a Baconator fart in the box as an extra bonus to the buyer.

The fart in a box part is brilliant!!! lol

I nominate rip67vdub to the Probation List due to the events that happened surrounding the transaction for a Marvel Super Heroes Winter Special (1st Squirrel Girl.)

In a sales thread I had running, I listed the book. Once I put it at 10% off, he and another individual both wanted it within a few minutes. rip67vdub was the first to take it.

In order to honor that, on 8/14 after posting an i'll take it in my thread I sent him this message:

Hey, thanks for buying from me. If anything else caught your eye in my thread but you felt the price wasn't right. Let me know and maybe we can work out a bundle.

If the 1st Squirrel Girl is all you'd like, here's my Paypal address: (removed)

$27 + $5 shipping = $32 total.

I'll be sure to package it securely and send it priority 2-day mail.

-Chris.

On 8/16 and 8/17 I sent the following messages asking about payment and explaining my reasons for asking, yet still no response. I wasn't ready to assume negatively yet as some people get tied up with other things or unfortunate situations occur.

When will you be paying?

Hi, not to be rude, but I was selling a lot of my books to make a purchase of my own so I was hoping payments would be arriving sooner rather than later. I have your book already packaged and ready to go! :thumbsup:

-Chris.

Finally on 8/20 I sent:

If you don't plan on paying, let me know now because you keep reading my messages but don't respond.

To which he responded

Sorry, but I ended picking up one from a LCS for $30. Thanks.

In the end rip67vdub decided it was more convenient to save $2 and feel that instant gratification. Thank goodness he at least owned up and told me he has no intention on buying the book as I could've been sitting on it for weeks.

It's a shame as there was another potential buyer in line who could've already had the book in his hands if rip67vdub had told me earlier his intentions.

I nominate rip67vdub to the Probation List due to the events that happened surrounding the transaction for a Marvel Super Heroes Winter Special (1st Squirrel Girl.)

In a sales thread I had running, I listed the book. Once I put it at 10% off, he and another individual both wanted it within a few minutes. rip67vdub was the first to take it.

In order to honor that, on 8/14 after posting an i'll take it in my thread I sent him this message:

Hey, thanks for buying from me. If anything else caught your eye in my thread but you felt the price wasn't right. Let me know and maybe we can work out a bundle.

-Chris.

On 8/16 and 8/17 I sent the following messages asking about payment and explaining my reasons for asking, yet still no response. I wasn't ready to assume negatively yet as some people get tied up with other things or unfortunate situations occur.

When will you be paying?

Hi, not to be rude, but I was selling a lot of my books to make a purchase of my own so I was hoping payments would be arriving sooner rather than later. I have your book already packaged and ready to go! :thumbsup:

-Chris.

Finally on 8/20 I sent:

If you don't plan on paying, let me know now because you keep reading my messages but don't respond.

To which he responded

In the end rip67vdub decided it was more convenient to save $2 and feel that instant gratification. Thank goodness he at least owned up and told me he has no intention on buying the book as I could've been sitting on it for weeks.

It's a shame as there was another potential buyer in line who could've already had the book in his hands if rip67vdub had told me earlier his intentions.

Sounds like a clear cut case to me.

He's got a sales thread open right now in the modern forum, BTW.

-Chris.

When will you be paying?

-Chris.

Finally on 8/20 I sent:

To which he responded

Sounds like a clear cut case to me.

He's got a sales thread open right now in the modern forum, BTW.

This guy did the same type of deal to me. Bought 2 books from me.Then wanted to only purchase 1 book at a cheaper ebay price then the one he purchased it in my thread.

Took me like 6 PMs back and forth to get any real response so I finally cancelled the transaction. No plan to ever do business with him again. I mean it was over like $15 in books ridiculous.

Have you sent him the 72hrs notice of nomination via separate PM?