• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

can you explain how you valued this box at $150 or more?

BF987C41-DA64-40F6-8F48-40B2ED31F073_zpspc5bipre.jpg

:bump:

This was addressed in private with the buyer. I told him flat out I screwed up on contents.

this is Kryptomayors box and you see Comicalgems response

I have been reading the comments on this thread regarding Jason and I feel I have a legitimate complaint that would put them in the probation list. It has been well past the 30 days after I made payment and I did not receive what I was told I was purchasing. I too have been given empty promises and a lot of excuses. If in fact Jason is experiencing life challenges that are preventing him from fulfilling his obligations, then he should be held to a time limit. Jason keeps promising that he's going to make things right but he never says when. It keeps people hanging. One of the many complaints is that he is not communicating. I am asking Jason to fulfill his promises to his multiple buyers within a certain time limit before my nomination that he be placed on the probation list.. I think by holding Jason to a time limit is a very fair way of settling this situation. Jason, I am asking you how long will it take for you to for fill all the obligations you promised?

+1, going on 20 days since payment was made for my deluxe mystery box and I'm still waiting.

This was addressed in private with the buyer. I told him flat out I screwed up on contents.

Ok, what was the date of the communication between comicalgems and KryptoMayor? I would imagine the 30 day period would begin then meaning this nomination is premature.

I personally never received a box. After waiting very patiently. When confronting the seller I received this response.

Just got logged into my paypal account, and can verify that I have not printed your shipping label, saw your message earlier but I was certain that you had asked me to hold your shipment and now I'm going back through my PMs and it looks like it was two other buyers that had asked me to hold, at any rate I've obviously not had the best run on this sales thread so I can either print a shipping label for you or offer a refund, whichever you prefer is okay by me....Apologies for the confusion.

I took the refund and advised that I could no longer do business with him. The response that came back

Refund sent, and printing a shipping label. If you like what you get, feel free to pay for it later OR if keep it as my gift to you.

Again, my sincerest apologies for the mix up.

Refund given, met criteria to not be on the Probation list.

is it safe to assume that Dialos never got that free box nor will he be getting one correct?

I personally never received a box. After waiting very patiently. When confronting the seller I received this response.

Just got logged into my paypal account, and can verify that I have not printed your shipping label, saw your message earlier but I was certain that you had asked me to hold your shipment and now I'm going back through my PMs and it looks like it was two other buyers that had asked me to hold, at any rate I've obviously not had the best run on this sales thread so I can either print a shipping label for you or offer a refund, whichever you prefer is okay by me....Apologies for the confusion.

I took the refund and advised that I could no longer do business with him. The response that came back

Refund sent, and printing a shipping label. If you like what you get, feel free to pay for it later OR if keep it as my gift to you.

Again, my sincerest apologies for the mix up.

Refund given, met criteria to not be on the Probation list.

is it safe to assume that Dialos never got that free box nor will he be getting one correct?

Of course he'll get a free box. I said I'd send him a free box. He gets a free box.

Ok, what was the date of the communication between comicalgems and KryptoMayor? I would imagine the 30 day period would begin then meaning this nomination is premature.

July 7th

I have been reading the comments on this thread regarding Jason and I feel I have a legitimate complaint that would put them in the probation list. It has been well past the 30 days after I made payment and I did not receive what I was told I was purchasing. I too have been given empty promises and a lot of excuses. If in fact Jason is experiencing life challenges that are preventing him from fulfilling his obligations, then he should be held to a time limit. Jason keeps promising that he's going to make things right but he never says when. It keeps people hanging. One of the many complaints is that he is not communicating. I am asking Jason to fulfill his promises to his multiple buyers within a certain time limit before my nomination that he be placed on the probation list.. I think by holding Jason to a time limit is a very fair way of settling this situation. Jason, I am asking you how long will it take for you to for fill all the obligations you promised?

+1, going on 20 days since payment was made for my deluxe mystery box and I'm still waiting.

Shipping backlog. But it's packed now and in my hallway, label on and going in the mail tomorrow.

None of this appears PL worthy to me; however, when it takes a nomination or the threat of a nomination to spur action, it's an automatic personal list addition. Not a character judgment, mind you, rather it's a just a way to mitigate hassles.

None of this appears PL worthy to me; however, when it takes a nomination or the threat of a nomination to spur action, it's an automatic personal list addition. Not a character judgment, mind you, rather it's a just a way to mitigate hassles.

I can understand that...in fact I told someone that the biggest reason it bothered me so much that it was even brought up here was because now no matter what I do it looks like I'm only doing it because of the PL threat.

Stavros (Diaolos) never once told me he was thinking about nominating me. I'm at work yesterday and I get a message that I need to check the boards, I check the boards and here's this thing from someone I refunded nearly two weeks ago. So he attempted to nominate me because I refunded him after he requested a refund? He's no longer involved in a transaction with me whatsoever...oh except the part where I'm sending him free stuff.

I was one and done buyer of MB, the shipping is EXTREMELY slow, few months after paid. Even with the FMV, the total is not come close to what paid for. What I feel is that none of these MB are packaged/bought at the time of the MB running. If they are pre-packed, boxed up, why so long to drop off at the PO or even have them come and pick them up? Feel more like, collect money up front, go buy some random/key books then send out these boxes.

I generally do not pack and ship a box until it has sold. For one, packaging 15-20 boxes takes up a decent amount of space. I've got a home office and when I do shipping I convert the room into a shipping room, fold up table, shipping boxes, tape, bubble wrap, peanuts and of course comics all come out from their various storage areas.

I've done pre-packaged boxes before. The first time I did them I ended up having to repackage so many of them because I was adding content to help sales that I decided it wasn't worth it to pre-package unsold boxes. Another time I did pre-packaged boxes, I had some left over after a thread and lost my list of contents so I had to re-open them so again...not worth the time to pre-package.

Also if someone says "Hey I'm going to buy this Mystery Box but I want Batman books", it's hard to say "Okay I'll do that for you" if all your boxes for sale are pre-packaged. Say :takeit: MB 35 with Batman books. If MB 35 is already pre-packaged then I've got to shelve that one and replace it with a Batman box, so again not worth the time to pre-package.

If they are not preset and you tailor them for individuals, how are they random? I'm confused.

Ideally, the recipient of specific mystery boxes should be unknown to the seller. Otherwise there is a temptation to play favorites.

I was one and done buyer of MB, the shipping is EXTREMELY slow, few months after paid. Even with the FMV, the total is not come close to what paid for. What I feel is that none of these MB are packaged/bought at the time of the MB running. If they are pre-packed, boxed up, why so long to drop off at the PO or even have them come and pick them up? Feel more like, collect money up front, go buy some random/key books then send out these boxes.

I generally do not pack and ship a box until it has sold. For one, packaging 15-20 boxes takes up a decent amount of space. I've got a home office and when I do shipping I convert the room into a shipping room, fold up table, shipping boxes, tape, bubble wrap, peanuts and of course comics all come out from their various storage areas.

I've done pre-packaged boxes before. The first time I did them I ended up having to repackage so many of them because I was adding content to help sales that I decided it wasn't worth it to pre-package unsold boxes. Another time I did pre-packaged boxes, I had some left over after a thread and lost my list of contents so I had to re-open them so again...not worth the time to pre-package.

Also if someone says "Hey I'm going to buy this Mystery Box but I want Batman books", it's hard to say "Okay I'll do that for you" if all your boxes for sale are pre-packaged. Say :takeit: MB 35 with Batman books. If MB 35 is already pre-packaged then I've got to shelve that one and replace it with a Batman box, so again not worth the time to pre-package.

If they are not preset and you tailor them for individuals, how are they random? I'm confused.

Ideally, the recipient of specific mystery boxes should be unknown to the seller. Otherwise there is a temptation to play favorites.

Sharon, sorry I didn't see your question.

Here's what I do.

1. Match Payment with Mystery Box Number

2. Print label-Write Mystery Box Number on the label if there was a specific item that was supposed to be in there like say "ASM Books Only Please" then I'll abbreviate ASM on the label. Or if there was a specific book identified for the box like say ASM 252 then I write ASM 252 on the label. I then calculate that 252 value and supplement the rest of the box to get to price paid.

Labels will have handwritten notations on them that say MB or DMB or SDMB etc

(I do exactly the same thing when I'm packaging a charity thread box)

3. Package boxes by label by pulling books worth price paid. No notations then I just put whatever in the box. If it's a request then I pull from that requested genre/title until I get the dollar amount right. $150, $500, $1500, etc worth of books. I pay no attention to whose name is on the label while I'm packaging. I go by my notes and pull from my inventory based on dollar amount.

I generally have my books sorted by value. There's boxes I keep just $3 stuff in and boxes I keep $20 stuff in and boxes I keep $100 stuff in and then a box

for anything worth more than $100.

I don't know if any of this is relevant to the issue at hand, but as you can see it is a bit of a process and not just something I try to do without giving it any thought.

Edited by comicalgems

July 7th

The 30 days is usually based on date of sale but it does seem reasonable to consider sliding the timeline back to the latest date where a new agreement was reached BUT in this situation it appears the parties are still in disagreement (ie- buyer posted here indicating an intention to nominate) (shrug)

The relevant dates are sale date, payment date, ship date, receive date, complaint date and "gee, sorry I messed up your box date" - I'm guessing July 7th is the last one.

If you want to reset the thirty day clock sharing the critical dates above is what would sway people to agree with you that the 30 day clock gets bumped forward to the date indicated.

Theoretically if the nominator was adamant about the nomination and unwilling to await the next package, then by following the guidelines posted earlier the nominated party goes on the list until the nominator is satisfied with the resolution.

I think most people would be willing to look at the critical dates in context and offer opinions but without agreement between the two parties on changing the date or some compelling evidence that efforts have been ongoing to right this wrong....you don't just reset the 30 day clock to the last date of communication.

2c

Did KryptoMayor receive a mystery box?

Yes or no?

I think yes, but honestly I wasnt sure, and no one had responded to his post (including Comical), so I figured telling him the PL process was a decent start.

If he got a mystery box not equal to the purchase value (which was what was stated in the Sales thread), I guess he could nominate right, the terms of the sale were not met, no?

And there's the problem with mystery boxes. Define purchase value. Is it Overstreet, ebay average sales, heritage, etc? And before we argue about value we need to argue about the grade of each book.

Sharon, sorry I didn't see your question.

Here's what I do.

1. Match Payment with Mystery Box Number

2. Print label-Write Mystery Box Number on the label if there was a specific item that was supposed to be in there like say "ASM Books Only Please" then I'll abbreviate ASM on the label. Or if there was a specific book identified for the box like say ASM 252 then I write ASM 252 on the label. I then calculate that 252 value and supplement the rest of the box to get to price paid.

Labels will have handwritten notations on them that say MB or DMB or SDMB etc

(I do exactly the same thing when I'm packaging a charity thread box)

3. Package boxes by label by pulling books worth price paid. No notations then I just put whatever in the box. If it's a request then I pull from that requested genre/title until I get the dollar amount right. $150, $500, $1500, etc worth of books. I pay no attention to whose name is on the label while I'm packaging. I go by my notes and pull from my inventory based on dollar amount.

I generally have my books sorted by value. There's boxes I keep just $3 stuff in and boxes I keep $20 stuff in and boxes I keep $100 stuff in and then a box

for anything worth more than $100.

I don't know if any of this is relevant to the issue at hand, but as you can see it is a bit of a process and not just something I try to do without giving it any thought.

Thanks, Jason. That makes a lot more sense to me. So you are just selling surprise packages that equal the value of the payment made.

I suppose when raffles were not an issue there were less upset customers because they could actually gamble on getting a windfall and some people enjoy and understand the risk.

When you send a surprise package that's not a gift, then you always run the risk of disappointing people. I even include a gift receipt when I buy a birthday gift at a store because everyone has different expectations and wants.

This is why I'm a huge fan of mystery boxes for charity raffles and Christmas type giveaways, it lets people donate with little effort and allows someone to make a donation and feel like they are going to get a little something in return. Maybe it will even be something they will donate again. . Of course we also have very generous donors who just wow people...but that's a different thing than doing them as a sale.

For sales threads I'd just toss those books on the floor, take a picture and say $3.00 each, if they are from the $3.00 box..and let people pick what they'd like.

Wait, we have to be nice, honest, and have souls? Not being too demanding, are we?

Actually, scamming money from someone with a story about needing plane fare to get to your grandmother's funeral is about as low as it gets. :(

It's almost as bad as the guy that faked his father's death to get out of shipping some comics. Almost.

Even worse are the people that continued, and may still, deal with that person because he has cool foreign bomics.

Wait, we have to be nice, honest, and have souls? Not being too demanding, are we?

Actually, scamming money from someone with a story about needing plane fare to get to your grandmother's funeral is about as low as it gets. :(

It's almost as bad as the guy that faked his father's death to get out of shipping some comics. Almost.

Even worse are the people that continued, and may still, deal with that person because he has cool foreign bomics.

Hey, if you know a better way to get copies of Spindinsndjfjdbsnsjrn-maninanaik, the Scandinavian edition of Spider-Man, I'm all ears.

:taptaptap:

hm lots of interesting talk around here.

The "win some, lose some" responses seem to lean towards the offering being a raffle, which is against rules (I think).

I think mystery boxes, generally speaking, are a ripoff.

That said.......

I think I'll run a mystery box thread tonight. :devil:

hm

hm lots of interesting talk around here.

The "win some, lose some" responses seem to lean towards the offering being a raffle, which is against rules (I think).

I think mystery boxes, generally speaking, are a ripoff.

That said.......

I think I'll run a mystery box thread tonight. :devil:

hm

I think not. Say bye bye.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1460472&gonew=1#UNREAD

I beat you by 12 seconds in the other thread! :D

As fun as they were, I think this is the best thing for the boards only because of the potential of abuse. :(