• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

10 minutes ago, Math Teacher said:

OK. I see no further gain about continuing to harp about this. I know how I feel, but I guess I have learned that it is best to just keep it to myself.

Who knows? Maybe I'll find a nicer copy of AF #15 for a lower price.

You will. The book is plentiful and there will be opportunities. 

Good luck! 

5 minutes ago, crassus said:

:foryou: You always arrive, in the nick of time, to save a thread!

Mist be the groovy tunes I'm spinning!Thanks Boberto!

If you're still into albums,this is highly suggested.Goes by Spider Jazz,coz copyrights,big sue stuff

Well, I am never going to make a post in the "Probation Discussion" thread again. After reading all the responses, I now feel like I am the guilty party because I had the gall to expect a board person to honor his agreement.

You know, visiting these message boards is usually one of the highlights of my day. But I'm not sure that I am going to feel like that anymore. Yes, to other people, this may not seem like a big deal, but to me, it was. It's always easy to say, "Don't worry about it. It's no big deal." when it happens to someone else. What I really resent is the implication that I will be less likely find a seller who will work with me because I had the temerity to bring this up. Another board member reneges on a deal, and I'm the one who's going to get black-listed? I'm not sure I want to hang out with a group of people who think that is acceptable.

I think I will be taking a sabbatical from these boards for a while. Maybe I will find out that I don't miss it that much after all.

Feel free to continue to mock me while I'm gone.

Edited by Math Teacher

2 minutes ago, Math Teacher said:

Well, I am never going to make a post in the "Probation Discussion" thread again. After reading all the responses, I now feel like I am the guilty party because I had the gall to expect a board person to honor his agreement.

You know, visiting these message boards is usually one of the highlights of my day. But I'm not sure that I am going to feel like that anymore. Yes, to other people, this may not seem like a big deal, but to me, it was. It's always easy to say, "Don't worry about it. It's no big deal." when it happens to someone else. What I really resent is the implication that I will be less likely find a seller who will work with me because I had the temerity to bring this up. Another board member reneges on a deal, and I'm the one who's going to get black-listed? I'm not sure I want to hang out with a group of people who think that is acceptable.

I think I will be taking a sabbatical from these boards for a while. Maybe I will find out that I don't miss it that much after all.

And everyone will forget about you tomorrow 

Welcome to social media

15 minutes ago, Math Teacher said:

Hey Math,don't let it get you down.And if I made you feel badly in anyway,I'm sorry,sincerely.Just coming back after a sabatical myself and feeling silly.

Money is money,and someone will gladly take yours,it just may take a bit to find the right book and seller.

How about this?I'm NOT selling mine but if I do I'll give you first shot if you don't have it already!Not selling,but you're first on the list!

You had some kind words for me last I was here,I'd hate to see you go just as I'm easing back in with my inanities.

If you think folk are mocking you,just call em mock chicken in your head,the original silly cold cut.I mean,it smells bad and what's that ridiculous orange rind?Ugh.

(you're not part of the evil Mathists,are you?They've been after me for some time with their zap calculators)

Edited by porcupine48

17 minutes ago, Math Teacher said:

Before you go, I was curious about one thing. Did you see scans of the book prior to discussing if he was willing to sell and price?

1 hour ago, mattn792 said:

@Math Teacher - first off, I'd take out the political reference from your last post, or it will probably go poof.

Second, that offer to put a false value declaration on the book...yes, I'm sure people do it and get away with it all the time, but...18 U.S. Code § 542 - Entry of goods by means of false statements | U.S. Code | US Law | LII / Legal Information Institute (cornell.edu)

I'd bag this one.

Please note that he offered this, not that I requested it.

1 hour ago, Jimmy Linguini said:

did he say "I would accept 15K USD" or "I accept your offer of 15K"? You said your offer was hypothetical right? "If I was to offer.."?

So I don't think he was confirming a deal.

Here is our conversation, VERBATIM.

ME: I understand completely. So, did you find my offer of $15,000 acceptable? If not, what would you accept?

HIM: I'll accept 15K USD

Please help me understand how I misinterpreted this.

First off, kudos for doing your homework and directly going after the book you like.  That's generally a win-win situation with a decent track record of success long term. Also, you apparently have moved off the only willing to throw a few grand on top of your trade value and that's a clear headed realistic plan.

A few other things, though. Don't get upset, it's just us on the boards.

You've got to mannup.  Don't be a math teacher all your life!  That's a joke, btw.  I love math!  you simply can't troll the board for an agreement for your position and get butt hurt if it goes the other way.  And this wasn't a prime example of that in any case.  No one dogpiled you, there were some but by no means all who didn't feel it was PLworthy.  You WILL get pummeled for the whole well I'll never come back here again!! routine.  Doesn't play well here and that's now - you should have seen it back in the day.

You shot yourself in the foot on this transaction.  If you had kept your feelings to yourself and backed off the seller or better yet upped the price again you maybe down the line could be the proud owner of what apparently is a SMOKING 2.5 that presents like a nice 3.0 or 3.5.  The last sale on a 3.0 was 22K.  23.5K two weeks before that.  But even as you're upping the offer to 16.5 you're sending mixed messages, a carrot and some toned down stick "this is wrong!".  Either go to war with the guy or roll over and show your belly, keep a relationship intact, up the price a week from now, whatever.  Now you screwed the pooch.  You outed the guy without naming him, an insufficiently_thoughtful_person can find out who he is, what does that get you? 

Principles?  Yeh sure, I get it, most of us do.  Bu this isn't Nuremburg, or even a Doug Schmell type situation.  It's comics, take a breath.

And you did dodge a bullet of sorts.  Sending that kind of cash money to a guy you don't know personally, you've got no leverage in return, what are you thinking?  He gets hit by a car what is your recourse?  How are estates settled in Canada?  Who would you present a claim to?  Or a more commonplace situation - Canada customs opens the box, sees the book valued at $100, you think the world is comprised of all fools, especially in the customs department, where they get paid to catch this kind of nonsense?  Where they get promoted on catching someone running a scam?  Or the book just plain gets lost in the mail.  What then, who is responsible.  I can just see you back here in a case like that asking the boards for a consensus on the seller giving you back your 16.5.  No?

57 minutes ago, Math Teacher said:

I hope you find a way to be at peace. I don't believe anyone was trying to cast you in any unfavorable light. These issues are important to discuss and analyze as it brings the discussion to the forefront. The advice members are sharing can sometimes seem dismissive but I don't believe that is the intent. We've all been there and it suks...All we're saying is that there will be other opportunities and that you should not throw the baby out with the bathwater. and give up on a community that you can absolutely continue to enjoy after the stings subsides.

1 hour ago, Math Teacher said:

Nobody’s mocking you. And nobody is talking about “black-listing” you either. 

A couple of other members have interjected a discussion about a separate, unrelated issue and I think you might be confusing their comments as something that pertains to you situation when it doesn’t. 

Unless I missed it, the comments that directly pertain to your situation were generally sympathetic, but were pointing out that you may be expecting the Probation List to do something it wasn’t intended for.  You asked for an opinion on whether the the situation was PL worthy or not and received an answer with some explanation as to why. 

I can understand why you wouldn’t happy with the answer but I fail to see how you’ve been mistreated in this discussion. 

Edited by Number 6

32 minutes ago, Math Teacher said:

Yes, he sent me two scans of the front and two scans of the back AFTER he agreed to accept my offer.

Just my 2 cents, why not ask for scans earlier? To me, asking for scans after negotiations start, makes me feel your still thinking about it. And then bringing up questions about the cost of tariffs, I would feel like you're still kicking things around. That's just me, though. I feel at that point, backing out isn't on the same level as just a renege. 

54 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

And nobody is talking about “black-listing” you either. 

Read this sentence from a previous poster: "The members of this list have strong and long memories and it may be better in the bigger picture to keep searching for another copy (as it will inevitably come along) rather than to continue down this road and scare away any potential future sales on the boards." This sounds like potential black-listing to me.

Edited by Math Teacher

36 minutes ago, Math Teacher said:

Read this sentence from a previous poster: "The members of this list have strong and long memories and it may be better in the bigger picture to keep searching for another copy (as it will inevitably come along) rather than to continue down this road and scare away any potential future sales on the boards." This sounds like potential black-listing to me.

“Scaring away” is not the same as black-listing. 

I think this well illustrates the problem here:  you’re upset that this deal didn’t go the way you wanted. This discussion isn’t going the way you expected and you’re allowing that to upset you further. As a result, you’re reading in insult and injury where there really isn’t any intended. 

And I think what that comment is suggesting is, not that there’s some Board cabal that’s going to black-list you, but that you may want to take a step back, take a deep breath and allow yourself to cool off before continuing to post about this. 

Because if you continue to post about this in your current frame of mind you may come off in a way that you don’t intend, and that could have consequences. 

I think that’s all they were suggesting. But I think I’ll back out of this as this thread’s been locked once already and it doesn’t seem productive anyway. 

Edited by Number 6