• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

Missed that whole first ordeal... wish there was a way to post problem newbies after their original threads get pulled... at least we'd have a "heads up" that there may be a problem with that person.

I too missed the first for sale thread... and while I was suspicious, I gave him the benefit of the doubt.

I wish someone would have told me/us about his previous sales attempt so we could have nipped this in the bud early.

The red flag for me was when he first started posting, claiming he had 250 boxes of books he needed to sell RIGHT NOW . He then got all pizzed up when some boardies told him to read the rules and he said he wasnt about to grade every book, scan it and post it. That thread started dissapearing in a matter of minutes and got yanked. He got a one week strike after a few posts. Could have been a record for a newb. Just my 2c though. He could be legit.

DRX

First off I am not sticking up for this guy, but where do you see that he got a strike?

I just looked in the strike record and I dont see it listed in there . I am going to contact Chris who was on also when this went down. I'm almost positive he got a one week vacation. Here's some of the aftermath discussion in this thread.

DRX

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=4156105&fpart=1

Agree with both Snake Eyes and stvfisher. I jumped on the "deal" for the GL books.

RED FLAG 1

Too Cheap.

RED FLAG 2

Free shipping coupled with Too Cheap.

RED FLAG 3

As soon as I posted, I received a PM asking for payment that night for the books so MachineGunned "would have to make only one shipping trip" the next day.

This was stated after I talked to a few others that were told their books were being shipped THE DAY BEFORE and were awaiting tracking numbers.

RED FLAG 4

Received a follow up email requesting paypal payment be sent to a friend of his since " Paypal has requested him to send a copy of his credit card statement to them, which he won't do (?), so they have limited his paypal account." wha?

Hate to jump the gun here.... but Rupp is screamin' SCAMMER!

ACTUALLY, your first red flag should've been the single digit post count with not a single accessible post save the ones made in this particular sales thread. I feel for the "buyers," but they are not without some small modicum of blame here. You seasoned collectors should've smelled the BS here. I'm sorry that you didn't.

ACTUALLY, your first red flag should've been the single digit post count with not a single accessible post save the ones made in this particular sales thread. I feel for the "buyers," but they are not without some small modicum of blame here. You seasoned collectors should've smelled the BS here. I'm sorry that you didn't.

I'm just lucky I didn't get a chance to pay him. Even if I did, hopefully the chargeback process wouldn't let me down.

I just looked in the strike record and I dont see it listed in there . I am going to contact Chris who was on also when this went down. I'm almost positive he got a one week vacation. Here's some of the aftermath discussion in this thread.

DRX

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=4156105&fpart=1

I don't think he got a strike either - the first thread was just removed because it broke a bunch of FS rules :shrug:

Well, I have had people tell me to mind my own business through P.M.s after pointing out a potential problem with a new member. You point something out and run the risk of people saying your picking on someone, give him a chance etc. Hope this works out, but I'm taking it with a grain of salt.

DRX

I just want to add that HOPEFULLY MachineGunned is just sleeping off a major bender and is in the process of packing and mailing everyone's order.

Spirit Radio is right in that we do owe the guy, as per the rules, the patience of 30 days. He could make good on his dealings...

...but, unfortunatly, I don't think thats gonna be the case here.

here are some posts covering his first sales thread..... (thumbs u

I logged on a few minutes ago and started reading the Machine Gun 1200 long box bonnanza thread.

Was it any good? It had been moved before I noticed it. :popcorn:

I think it was just about to get cranked up. I think the mods buried it quick before it burst into flames. And Mac Man's right. The guy seemed to be getting pizzed about following the rules.

DRX

Seemed to get pissed?

lol

Actually his responses were something like "You mean I have to grade and price all these books, I don't have time for that and I am not going to do it."

That was after he said he had 250,000 books and EVERYTHING before 1998 was Mint/NM and everything after 1998 was BETTER THAN THAT.

So every single one of his books was a 9.8, 9.9 or 10.0....all of them. Not one 4.0 or one that was a 9.2 off the presses. They were all perfect. ALL OF THEM.

Well, I have had people tell me to mind my own business through P.M.s after pointing out a potential problem with a new member. You point something out and run the risk of people saying your picking on someone, give him a chance etc. Hope this works out, but I'm taking it with a grain of salt.

DRX

Thank you! I have been told that I've been rough on noobs,so I back off now.This guy was suspicious from the first post,sorry about boardies loosing money on deals but you should have smelled this guy coming. (shrug)

DRX

If that was the same guy it looks like he deleted his Craigslist posting too. Not looking too good. I wish everyone good luck and personally, I would file chargebacks immediately. The longer you wait the more you risk not getting a refund.

I sent this guy a PM before I posted the take it on the Gen x lot. It was only after my questions that I decided to go for it on one of the lots.

I told him I was going to post for the Gen x lot and I wanted to maximize my shipping. I asked him if he had any other titles and I listed about 10 others. One by one he told me that the only books he had had been spoken for or that he didn't have anything for that particular title.

What puzzles me know, if he were only out to scam...why not just tell me that he had a few of the others to see if he could get my more of my $? ???

The red flag for me was when he first started posting, claiming he had 250 boxes of books he needed to sell RIGHT NOW . He then got all pizzed up when some boardies told him to read the rules and he said he wasnt about to grade every book, scan it and post it. That thread started dissapearing in a matter of minutes and got yanked. He got a one week strike after a few posts. Could have been a record for a newb. Just my 2c though. He could be legit.

DRX

Missed that whole first ordeal... wish there was a way to post problem newbies after their original threads get pulled... at least we'd have a "heads up" that there may be a problem with that person.

+1 to this thought.

DRX

+1 to this thought.

There are plenty of oldtimers who have their sales' threads yanked for not following the rules as well - it seems like an inability (or unwillingness) to comprehend the forum FS guidelines isn't just limited to new board members.

I sent this guy a PM before I posted the take it on the Gen x lot. It was only after my questions that I decided to go for it on one of the lots.

I told him I was going to post for the Gen x lot and I wanted to maximize my shipping. I asked him if he had any other titles and I listed about 10 others. One by one he told me that the only books he had had been spoken for or that he didn't have anything for that particular title.

What puzzles me know, if he were only out to scam...why not just tell me that he had a few of the others to see if he could get my more of my $? ???

Well, things don't always start out as a scam. :sorry:

Like the new avatar, btw . . . :)

DRX

+1 to this thought.

There are plenty of oldtimers who have their sales' threads yanked for not following the rules as well - it seems like an inability (or unwillingness) to comprehend the forum FS guidelines isn't just limited to new board members.

Well, not necessarily. For example, Moondog's AirBoy sales thread was pulled, but the title's still there and it accomplishes everything he wanted . . . so who has trouble comprehending the rules? :grin: I'd say it was a pretty good "end around" :applause: