• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

Very sorry to see that folks got burned again. Only been here a year, but it seems to me that this is on the increase in terms of the number of threads that have been fraudulent in some way or another. Maybe a boardie with a longer history can chime in and let us know if that is the case.

Anyway, I bailed on his thread when I saw the response to my question about references. Did not want to seem overly harsh on the new guy, but an inactive eBay account just did not do it for me. Hope that everyone can do chargebacks and get their funds back...unfortunately some really great people got taken again here.

There seems to be regular debate popping up repeatedly on ways to make the marketplace safer, but then the talk usually dies down pretty quick. I know this tags me as a state employee, but maybe a small committee to debate some ideas via pm or phone, and then return to the larger group with a list of proposals or discussion points would be helpful?

Unrelated to Grimace (more of a MachineGunned issue)...

I know not everyone agrees with this, but just my two cents...to me selling in the marketplace is a privilege (in my mind akin to driving a car), and should not a right (such as voting). It really should not be acceptable to hop on the boards and have a sale with your first post. The board admins will not stop this from happening, and largely go hands off in this section. Therefore, it is up to us to put community guidelines in place. But even though we know it is not safe to do so, we jump at the perceived bargains sometimes. Some serious thought should really be given to this, because it seems that as a group we are unable to resist (I know some individuals do, but a number do not). Not sure how to stop this, but some brainstorming may be helpful. For example, is it a good idea to require three public :takeit: completed successfully before being allowed to sell? If not, can we post warnings in the thread without being accused of being bad citizens or thread crappers? Or is it OK to comment in thread regarding someone signing up one day before the sales thread without looking like a *fork* (I honestly think some do not check before buying). Or should we just let the forces of unrestrained capaitalism to work their will and let people continue to get burned? No answers unfortunately on my end, but feel a good long talk about seeking to update the rules/requirements might be in order. (thumbs u

:gossip: And for what it is worth, I would be glad to help out in any way if needed :)

Hope everyone has a great weekend,

Heath

I gotta disagree Heath. I have no problem with people coming on here to sell their comics. If they want their first post to be a sale, that's fine. i personally won't be buying from them, but that's my own decision. There have been proposals along the lines of making people "earn" the right to sell, none of them really feasible as far as I'm concerned. Making people buy three comics? How will that help me trust that I'll get what I buy from them? Past suggestions have included making people do some sort of community service, or waiting until they've posted X number of times in various threads. All of this seems unworkable, unenforceable aside from the mods getting involved (which ain't gonna happen), and counter-productive.

If anyone feels sketchy about new sellers, just don't buy. Seems simple to me. I like to wait until a boardie I know and trust gives a seller kudos or posts in a sales thread that they received their comics and all went smoothly.

I do appreciate where you're coming from though. It'd be great if no one ever scammed anyone else around here. But so far I haven't heard any ideas that would a) address the issue, and b) not be too much of a hindrance/imposition.

I just worked out a deal with someone on 3 slabs that has 0 posts. He's supposed to send the books, then I pay.

That's exactly the approach i was thinking for all new board members wanting to jump right on "selling".Some sort of guide lines should be set up that require "noobs" to sell $X amount of books in good faith to "established" Boardies(No buyers with less than 1 year AND 1000 post,and NO prior buying/paying probations of their own),with Delivery to take place FIRST before payment.Then,and ONLY THEN should they be able to run a regular sales thread.

Maybe something like,"In order to run a regular sales thread,all new members must complete $1,000 worth of a "delivery first probationary" transactions before being elegible for a "payment first" sales thread".

That approach would hopefully weed out the BS,and if someone doesnt like it,they can go sell on Ebay.

The Boards need to be treated more like how your Drivers Liscense is...it's a PRIVILEDGE to sell here,not your "RIGHT". 2c

Very sorry to see that folks got burned again. Only been here a year, but it seems to me that this is on the increase in terms of the number of threads that have been fraudulent in some way or another. Maybe a boardie with a longer history can chime in and let us know if that is the case.

Anyway, I bailed on his thread when I saw the response to my question about references. Did not want to seem overly harsh on the new guy, but an inactive eBay account just did not do it for me. Hope that everyone can do chargebacks and get their funds back...unfortunately some really great people got taken again here.

There seems to be regular debate popping up repeatedly on ways to make the marketplace safer, but then the talk usually dies down pretty quick. I know this tags me as a state employee, but maybe a small committee to debate some ideas via pm or phone, and then return to the larger group with a list of proposals or discussion points would be helpful?

I know not everyone agrees with this, but just my two cents...to me selling in the marketplace is a privilege (in my mind akin to driving a car), and should not a right (such as voting). It really should not be acceptable to hop on the boards and have a sale with your first post. The board admins will not stop this from happening, and largely go hands off in this section. Therefore, it is up to us to put community guidelines in place. But even though we know it is not safe to do so, we jump at the perceived bargains sometimes. Some serious thought should really be given to this, because it seems that as a group we are unable to resist (I know some individuals do, but a number do not). Not sure how to stop this, but some brainstorming may be helpful. For example, is it a good idea to require three public :takeit: completed successfully before being allowed to sell? If not, can we post warnings in the thread without being accused of being bad citizens or thread crappers? Or is it OK to comment in thread regarding someone signing up one day before the sales thread without looking like a *fork* (I honestly think some do not check before buying). Or should we just let the forces of unrestrained capaitalism to work their will and let people continue to get burned? No answers unfortunately on my end, but feel a good long talk about seeking to update the rules/requirements might be in order. (thumbs u

:gossip: And for what it is worth, I would be glad to help out in any way if needed :)

Heath

I gotta disagree Heath. I have no problem with people coming on here to sell their comics. If they want their first post to be a sale, that's fine. i personally won't be buying from them, but that's my own decision. There have been proposals along the lines of making people "earn" the right to sell, none of them really feasible as far as I'm concerned. Making people buy three comics? How will that help me trust that I'll get what I buy from them? Past suggestions have included making people do some sort of community service, or waiting until they've posted X number of times in various threads. All of this seems unworkable, unenforceable aside from the mods getting involved (which ain't gonna happen), and counter-productive.

If anyone feels sketchy about new sellers, just don't buy. Seems simple to me. I like to wait until a boardie I know and trust gives a seller kudos or posts in a sales thread that they received their comics and all went smoothly.

I do appreciate where you're coming from though. It'd be great if no one ever scammed anyone else around here. But so far I haven't heard any ideas that would a) address the issue, and b) not be too much of a hindrance/imposition.

I just worked out a deal with someone on 3 slabs that has 0 posts. He's supposed to send the books, then I pay.

That's exactly the approach i was thinking for all new board members wanting to jump right on "selling".Some sort of guide lines should be set up that require "noobs" to sell $X amount of books in good faith to "established" Boardies(No buyers with less than 1 year AND 1000 post,and NO prior buying/paying probations of their own),with Delivery to take place FIRST before payment.Then,and ONLY THEN should they be able to run a regular sales thread.

Maybe something like,"In order to run a regular sales thread,all new members must complete $1,000 worth of a "delivery first probationary" transactions before being elegible for a "payment first" sales thread".

That approach would hopefully weed out the BS,and if someone doesnt like it,they can go sell on Ebay.

The Boards need to be treated more like how your Drivers Liscense is...it's a PRIVILEDGE to sell here,not your "RIGHT". 2c

Terrible idea. What if a n00b puts, say, a $500 book up for sale. Firstly, nobody is going to want to send out a book worth that much without at least a downpayment on it. What if the n00b got PMd by TFL and shipped a book with no payment? Not every new user is going to make themselves familiar with the Probation List and HOS before selling.

Also, what you have to remember is, while some board members may not want to send payments to new members as they don't know them (understandably), new members will not want to send books out without payment as they in turn don't know the boardies who've been here longer.

I totally agree that something needs to be done, but this approach may only turn new board members away if they're forced to send books out without payment.

Heath

Terrible idea. What if a n00b puts, say, a $500 book up for sale. Firstly, nobody is going to want to send out a book worth that much without at least a downpayment on it. What if the n00b got PMd by TFL and shipped a book with no payment? Not every new user is going to make themselves familiar with the Porbation List and HOS before selling.

Also, what you have to remember is, while some board members may not want to send payments to new members as they don't know them (understandably), new members will not want to send books out without payment as they in turn don't know the boardies who've been here longer.

I totally agree that something needs to be done, but this approach may only turn new board members away if they're forced to send books out without payment.

Gotta agree. Complicated, difficult to enforce and open to abuse. Puts new members at a huge disadvantage.

Heath

Terrible idea. What if a n00b puts, say, a $500 book up for sale. Firstly, nobody is going to want to send out a book worth that much without at least a downpayment on it. What if the n00b got PMd by TFL and shipped a book with no payment? Not every new user is going to make themselves familiar with the Porbation List and HOS before selling.

Gotta agree. Complicated, difficult to enforce and open to abuse. Puts new members at a huge disadvantage.

Agree again. A lot of these ideas treat selling here as a privilege, like a seller should have to earn the right to sell me something. It's the wrong attitude and will only succeed in turning new sellers away. Not to mention the fact that this is very complicated and impossible to enforce without some sort of software help from the mods.

If I were a new seller, I'd come here and sell some low $$ items, ship promptly, and beg my buyers to give me good feedback in the kudos section and the sales thread. This is the kinda stuff I look for when considering buying from a noob.

Heath

Agree again. A lot of these ideas treat selling here as a privilege, like a seller should have to earn the right to sell me something. It's the wrong attitude and will only succeed in turning new sellers away. Not to mention the fact that this is very complicated and impossible to enforce without some sort of software help from the mods.

If I were a new seller, I'd come here and sell some low $$ items, ship promptly, and beg my buyers to give me good feedback in the kudos section and the sales thread. This is the kinda stuff I look for when considering buying from a noob.

I see everybody's points...i do however disagree that selling here is not priviledge..it is...this isnt ebay.Earn a right to sell here,prove your trustworthness,or don't be allowed to sell.

This last bad seller was selling low $ stuff..lots of it. $20-30 x's X # buyers scammed is no different than a single $500 scam...

There has to be some sort of regulation,SOMEHOW,i obviously didn't have the solution.

An Escrow services being manditory use for noobs threads would be a solution,but i don't know much about them other than the Ebay escrow service available.

I'm just going to post " :takeit: pending shipment first,and payment second" in noobs sales threads,and see what their response is..should show some sort of their angle on things....and i'm sure start plenty of controversy on my part.

Edited by kryptospidey

Heath

That's exactly the approach i was thinking for all new board members wanting to jump right on "selling".Some sort of guide lines should be set up that require "noobs" to sell $X amount of books in good faith to "established" Boardies(No buyers with less than 1 year AND 1000 post,and NO prior buying/paying probations of their own) ,with Delivery to take place FIRST before payment.Then,and ONLY THEN should they be able to run a regular sales thread.

Terrible idea. What if a n00b puts, say, a $500 book up for sale. Firstly, nobody is going to want to send out a book worth that much without at least a downpayment on it. What if the n00b got PMd by TFL and shipped a book with no payment? Not every new user is going to make themselves familiar with the Probation List and HOS before selling.

I think the solution should lie in rewarding the honest sellers with business. Post counts or big money deals don't make someone a good seller just as being new to the boards doesn't make you a bad seller. It doesn't take much time in the sales forums to identify who the good sellers are if you are willing to look all of that up. Unfortunately this kind of information is scattered around the site so you do have to be somewhat familiar with it and have some spare time.

I would think an easy way to go about this would be to for sellers to start posting how many kudos they have received in their first post in a sales thread.

This way there is something that buyers can look for. If I have had 10 successful transactions then the buyer knows that at the very least there is a good chance that I'm going to hold up my end of the deal.

If a new member is intent on selling I think they should be allowed but the buyers should be aware they are dealing with someone with no selling experience on the boards and caution should be taken.

Something like this:

I have a new batch of books here for your perusal. :takeit: trumps all!

Shipping is FREE in the U.S.! I will ship these USPS priority with a 1095 box within one day of payment. I accept Paypal and money orders.

I will also consider trades. Click on my competitive sets and if I don't have it and you do maybe we can work something out. I'm looking for 8.0+ with w/ow+

I will not sell to those on the probabtion or HOS list, I'm not looking for headaches. I'm looking to have a positive experience here.

I purchased most of these off the rack myself and nothing has been done to them since. The couple that I didn't I will make a note of because I have no idea what has been done to them :grin:

Selling kudos received +10

Doing it this way would be simple to implement for anyone who wanted to use it. This way you don't have to jump through any hoops and can just start adding it in sales threads. It's by no means necessary but just a way to let people know that you have actually held up your end of the deal "X" amount of times. If enough people started using it it would at least give a buyer pause before posting an I'll take it in a sales thread where the seller is an unknown.

Heath

That's exactly the approach i was thinking for all new board members wanting to jump right on "selling".Some sort of guide lines should be set up that require "noobs" to sell $X amount of books in good faith to "established" Boardies(No buyers with less than 1 year AND 1000 post,and NO prior buying/paying probations of their own) ,with Delivery to take place FIRST before payment.Then,and ONLY THEN should they be able to run a regular sales thread.

TFL fit all the criteria you've bolded before he ended up on the HOS. And if I was a n00b, I couldn't care less how many posts anybody had if they wanted me to send books without payment. If I didn't know them from Adam, it wouldn't happen.

When I was new to this place I tried running a few sales threads. I had no bites at all for months, probably because I was new (and the books were drek), but after a while when I'd gotten to know a fair few boardies and the quality of books I was selling grew, I made sales.

The best way to go about it really would be for more established board members to use common sense and not have the rush of blood because the deal is just way too good. Let new members ease themselves into the community before buying from them? Seems a pretty easy solution to me.

Heath

TFL fit all the criteria you've bolded before he ended up on the HOS. And if I was a n00b, I couldn't care less how many posts anybody had if they wanted me to send books without payment. If I didn't know them from Adam, it wouldn't happen.

When I was new to this place I tried running a few sales threads. I had no bites at all for months, probably because I was new (and the books were drek), but after a while when I'd gotten to know a fair few boardies and the quality of books I was selling grew, I made sales.

The best way to go about it really would be for more established board members to use common sense and not have the rush of blood because the deal is just way too good. Let new members ease themselves into the community before buying from them? Seems a pretty easy solution to me.

Yea..i'd say i have to agree with you here...i was just throwing some ideas out there.

I haven't been burned here YET.

Some good discussion here I think (thumbs u

So far the least intrusive and easiest changes would be adding of kudos to the OP of the sales thread and the posting of a welcome/advisement in sellers with the post count of 100 or below?

Two possible ways to get rolling on both :gossip: with suggestions for changes and improvements most welcome...

1. Open a thread in the comic sales section where we can work as a group going backward through the kudos thread and keeping a running tally. Just count kudos and add names to the list with each post...for example set up a template like the probation list with the following info hm

Total Kudos for members dating from September 9, 2010 to present

Blue808

Cloudofwit

Dover

Frankbearss (+2)

Golddust

Hesdeadjim

Marvelfangirl

Pinky Lee Zepplin

Rich Henn

Shark

Somewhereintexas

Then as boardies have time we can work the list backwards...i.e. later tonight maybe I run it back through September 7, 2010 and offer that as the next post (thumbs u

-------------------------------------

As for the advisement on new sellers, perhaps it could take the form of a welcome and warning of sorts about the experiences related by Boozad and be posted in a thread of a seller with less than 100 posts similar to the post that goes in if folks don't put prices or sell pgx books, etc.... BTW edits to make this better would be MOST welcome :D

:hi: Welcome to the Forum Selling area. We are always happy to encourage new buyers and sellers to join the community. Just wanted to offer some friendly advise on how to maximize your sales. Due to some incidents in the past many folks are cautious of relatively unknown members offering sales. You may want to post references or if you are willing to ship prior to payment. We have also noticed that some books are GREAT sellers here, and others tend to struggle. Take some time to review past threads, post in discussion sections, and PM other boardies. This will help you get to know your buyers and let them get to know you :cool: Hopefully that will help you figure out the best books to sell and how to present them well (thumbs u Again as a new seller we welcome you and hope you have a great sale!

So what does everyone think??? :juggle:

SE

:bump: 9/12/10 KUDOS LIST UPDATE :bump:

ONGOING TALLIES

The following list is a complete counting of KUDOS received by forum members dating from September 9, 2010 to present. If a number follows the name of the boardie that means multiple kudos are present (thumbs u Congrats for being great buyers and sellers everyone :cool:

•  

• Blue808

• Cloudofwit

• Dover

• Frankbearss (+2)

• Golddust

• Hesdeadjim

• Marvelfangirl

• Pinky Lee Zepplin

• Rich Henn

• Shark

• Somewhereintexas

Something like this perhaps??? :shrug:

hm well unless someone detects a problem with someone else miscounting...I think starting with anyone willing to comb through and put in the effort would be a good starting point (doubt there will be tons of volunteers as it is not so much fun).

There is the need, however, to be somewhat careful while counting due to folks quoting old posts in responses and perhaps using first names instead of board handles...so some Kudos are inevitably going to get missed or double counted. Kind of like any data project we would have to be willing to live with a margin of error I think :P