• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

The last two posts are kind of getting at the concern I have. There is that suspiciousness of newer sellers and sometimes buyers. To what degree someone wants to enter into a transaction with someone with limited references is a personal decision. Everyone has a slightly (or sometimes greatly) different threshold. Adding to the existing kudos system (albeit in a manner that clearly does not reflect all sales) will allow buyers and sellers one additional window into the other person's known history.

Granted there are a lot of unreported transactions and people who have sold lots of books but have few kudos. Unfortunately, I do not see a lot that can be done with that :shrug: I know I am going to walk the walk a little more and catch up on my kudos tommorrow during a slow period at work (or the evening if I am not so lucky :wishluck: ). Seems to be helpful to aggregate the existing data in a more user friendly format...and as someone mentioned previously, it might just get some folks to be more conscientious about leaving those kudos (thumbs u

Definitely been some interesting thoughts here...appreciate the discussion :) Does anyone have additional ideas on things that are worth considering, experimenting with, etc.? hm

Well, it seems like folks have gotten away from the original idea of forcing new sellers to pass some sort of criteria, test, or probationary period. That was the initial desire, no? The kudos tallying is cool, but it won't have any effect on a new seller. A new seller is obvious: you've never heard of him/her before, and there's the low post count. Seems obvious enough to me, and sufficient.

I don't usually buy from new sellers, and never for anything of real value. If a new seller offers up some references, or I can talk to another boardie who knows or has dealt with them, that goes a long way toward raising my trust level. And so far I haven't had any problems at all. Is that not sufficient? Short of prohibiting a new member from selling via some technical setting on the site, there's nothing else that can be done. They'll come and they'll try to sell. If you don't trust them, you shouldn't buy. Seeing that they have no kudos won't really mean anything when their post count is at 44, y'know?

Well, it seems like folks have gotten away from the original idea of forcing new sellers to pass some sort of criteria, test, or probationary period.

I for one would like to see this implementet. Seems 9 outta 10 times a newcomer posts a sales thread the mess hits the fan...

But, a x number of post + must be member for a month before selling requirement will only limit the hit'n'runners...

As the stat show, even longtime members/high post counters can end up on the mess list..

Some good discussion here I think (thumbs u

So far the least intrusive and easiest changes would be adding of kudos to the OP of the sales thread and the posting of a welcome/advisement in sellers with the post count of 100 or below?

Two possible ways to get rolling on both :gossip: with suggestions for changes and improvements most welcome...

1. Open a thread in the comic sales section where we can work as a group going backward through the kudos thread and keeping a running tally. Just count kudos and add names to the list with each post...for example set up a template like the probation list with the following info hm

Total Kudos for members dating from September 9, 2010 to present

Blue808

Cloudofwit

Dover

Frankbearss (+2)

Golddust

Hesdeadjim

Marvelfangirl

Pinky Lee Zepplin

Rich Henn

Shark

Somewhereintexas

Then as boardies have time we can work the list backwards...i.e. later tonight maybe I run it back through September 7, 2010 and offer that as the next post (thumbs u

-------------------------------------

As for the advisement on new sellers, perhaps it could take the form of a welcome and warning of sorts about the experiences related by Boozad and be posted in a thread of a seller with less than 100 posts similar to the post that goes in if folks don't put prices or sell pgx books, etc.... BTW edits to make this better would be MOST welcome :D

:hi: Welcome to the Forum Selling area. We are always happy to encourage new buyers and sellers to join the community. Just wanted to offer some friendly advise on how to maximize your sales. Due to some incidents in the past many folks are cautious of relatively unknown members offering sales. You may want to post references or if you are willing to ship prior to payment. We have also noticed that some books are GREAT sellers here, and others tend to struggle. Take some time to review past threads, post in discussion sections, and PM other boardies. This will help you get to know your buyers and let them get to know you :cool: Hopefully that will help you figure out the best books to sell and how to present them well (thumbs u Again as a new seller we welcome you and hope you have a great sale!

So what does everyone think??? :juggle:

SE

The discussion has moved that direction. However, in the second part of the post above I offered an idea for an advisement on new sellers threads. No comments on that yet, but I still believe that it is a good idea :shrug: Understand that it will not help you or some other folks that do their due dilligence. However, I believe it might help newer members and those who are less likely to do such research before buying (I am flashing back to the recent machine gunned thread and how some folks seemed honestly suprised it was a hit and run). A post like this towards the beginning of the thread when we typically ask for references may save one or two potential targets even if it is not you or I :juggle:

Think I am on the same side of the fence as you Thomas in that I would love to see something tried. I do not think there is a feasible way to limit long-time board members that go rogue (although the recent questions about comicseekers might suggest keeping a list of former probation members accessible would be helpful).

However, if the hit and runs can be stopped some folks would be saved from aggravation and possible lost funds. (thumbs u

:gossip: Of course, as the debate shows it is always easier said then done.

The kudos thing bothers me a bit. I probably have over 100 transactions since joining back in '04, about 90 purchases and about 10 sales. I have never really had a problem either way. I believe my kudo score would only be around a "5". That's not reflective of my past history. 2c

hm I am getting the sense that the preponderance of folks may not want to do anything. I am willing to put some time in (it would be a slow process but will happily add up kudos as I shop the sales threads) aggregating the kudos. However, I do not want to waste my time if most boardies would find such a list to be inappropriate or not very useful.

Could someone place a poll in the thread to help me figure out if I should get started and see how things look or just let the idea go? ( :gossip: or go smoke crack ) Many thanks in advance :foryou:

Heath

I am getting the sense that the preponderance of folks may not want to do anything.

I'm pretty sure that every boardie would love a simple, foolproof way to stop other boardies getting scammed. It's just that with any idea like this people will see reasons why it won't work. Arguments against if you will.

If you think your way forward is viable, put the legwork in, present it and take it from there (thumbs u

I am getting the sense that the preponderance of folks may not want to do anything.

I'm pretty sure that every boardie would love a simple, foolproof way to stop other boardies getting scammed. It's just that with any idea like this people will see reasons why it won't work. Arguments against if you will.

If you think your way forward is viable, put the legwork in, present it and take it from there (thumbs u

Yeah...guess I am trying to short-circuit the process a little. I personally think it is viable, but want to be lazy and bail on the work if most people do not agree. It is one of those projects where I do not know that it is intrinsically rewarding enough for it's own sake. But enough whining lol I will give it a shot for the week and see what I think and what kind of comments it brings on...thanks for the advice/perspective and I hope all is well in England! :foryou:

I'm not that enthusiastic about using the kudos system as a rating because I don't utilize it much at all. I don't expect others leave kudos for me, because I don't leave it for anyone because there's just too many buyers. Occasionally, someone will specifically request I leave them kudos and I will do so.

If we go to a system that relies on kudos, we may as well turn ourselves into ebay, because it's just feedback with a different name.

sadly, I think we need to add Grimace into the list since he failed to send out any books to the buyers on his thread. I, DCman and well as Foolkiller and any buyers haven't gotten a reply via Pm for the past week and it has been over 2 weeks since I paid him. If I get a reply or receive my books today, I will update but I am not holding my breath.

Another one bites the dust...Add Grimace to the list

• Administrator

Note that I agree with what others have said regarding the fact that this does NOT address new comers in any substantial way.

The reality is that people know a new comer when they see them, and they choose to take a risk by swooping in and buying anyway. More obvious feedback won't change that.

Basically, people develop a rep either by selling to those with higher risk tolerance or by buying alot before selling. Some people will live up to the word "risk" by having an unsatisfactory transaction.

Cannot argue with that! New kudos/feedback ideas would have no impact on the hit and run threads. Funny how the conversation has evolved well beyond that. Still, in my book if we can find an effective improvement or add-on to the system in place it is something worth checking out (thumbs u

sadly, I think we need to add Grimace into the list since he failed to send out any books to the buyers on his thread. I, DCman and well as Foolkiller and any buyers haven't gotten a reply via Pm for the past week and it has been over 2 weeks since I paid him. If I get a reply or receive my books today, I will update but I am not holding my breath.

Another one bites the dust...Add Grimace to the list

Yep. Never got a book from this guy, scam artist.

I'm not that enthusiastic about using the kudos system as a rating because I don't utilize it much at all. I don't expect others leave kudos for me, because I don't leave it for anyone because there's just too many buyers. Occasionally, someone will specifically request I leave them kudos and I will do so.

If we go to a system that relies on kudos, we may as well turn ourselves into ebay, because it's just feedback with a different name.

The feedback system on eBay never worked well. In the beginning you could leave feedback without making a purchase...kind of like here, no one tracks REAL purchases...so friends could pump up numbers. After they changed the eBay systerm, you ran the risk of fruitcakes...not so much here...but if someone were to join with a shill ID, or two friends who were not so kosher...what's to prevent positive kudos?

I still think people need to be prudent and to ask for references. If you are going to "swoop" as Arch says...well, then it's simple risk reward...kind of like a lottery.