• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

I never said I did not know who he was. I said I did not remeber having any books ordered and not paid for.

Using the search functions I see that he did not invoice me for 2 weeks after I posted the "I'll take it". I t must have slipped my mind and in my initial response to him was simple. "Tell me which books they are, if I left you hanging I apologize" that does not seem like a demanding or hard to accomplish request.

Instead he response with a probation list threat.

It seems to me that you just want to argue. So I am done, he got his money I did not get the books so he made out.

Are either of you guys gonna be at super-con? I'd like to buy you both a beer and discuss this further without the delayed response of a chat board.

Eric

Wait a minute....

I'm the one that wants to argue??....you rode into this thread like a Bat outta hell..guns blazing, looking for a fight.

You said this:

Like I told ressurection in my first response, I do not remember ever getting into a deal with him,

Now you are saying that you told us you had a couple of deals with him.

I hope you can see how those two statements can't necessarily exist in the same universe.

Could we add Chunkybutt to the list. I have been holding a stack of books for him since february. I have made contact with him recently, sent a total and he has not responded. I am tired of chasing the guy for the money. I will notify him of this post and allow him to chime in as per the rules. The guy is really nice, I do like him. But leaving me with little to no responses for so long brings me to this.

If he completes the sale, I will return and ask him to be removed.

Looks like you've been patient enough and followed all the standard guidelines. He will be added to the probation list.

I am utterly shocked here.

I admit I am a new guy, a new guy who has completed dozens of transactions (all as buyer) with several board members. Every single board member has been immediately paid upon agreed price.

Like I told ressurection in my first response, I do not remember ever getting into a deal with him, I remember being in talks with someone over some Thor books back in Februaury before I could not get back on the net.

I asked what books they were and if he had a link to the post as I could find no links except our past deals (by the way all of which were flawless transactions)

he responded with a price and a threat to put me on probation list.

The price was $50 I think. I am not a welch, I have spent over $2,000 this month alone (well June actually) with board members, I am not a complainer even though I have been waiting over a month for books now from a certain member who has not responded yet and I have been waiting patiently for almost 3 weeks for books being held up by canadian post.

The fact that I was not given 24hrs to respond to this kinda pisses me off.

I am sending Resurrection his $50, burn the fukin books I do not want them.

this is my first post.......as you can clearly see I mention our other transactions.

If you take my quotes out of context and combine them from different conversations you can prove I am an alien from mars here to take over the earth

quit arguing

Facts:

1) buyer posted :takeit: in sales thread.

2) seller sent PM asking about payment.

3) buyer responds, as he reposted, that he wasn't sure which books.

4) seller removes himself from topic?????????????

5) seller wants buyer immediately placed on Probation list before buyer tells story

6) buyer upon finding out he is on Probation list comes in on fire and sends $50 bucks

7) buyer than crucified by members with proficient search ability.

So did seller ever answer back buyer's request to know what books or is the onus on the buyer to figure out what books they were?

No one wants to change their tune when presented with different information. So looking at the facts what's the story?

Eric, I have a more important question, is your son OK, I hope?

If he is, and you are back here, perhaps you and Pat (who is a very nice guy) could work this out in a non Probation list PM and then Pat could give us the upshot.

If you really want to pay for the books and not get them, I'm sure Pat would agree to donate them to the next good cause.

Welcome to the boards...

(I want Chris as the attorney sitting with RMA next to him if I am ever accused of manslaughter...;) NOT that I'm planning on it;)

Facts:

5) seller wants buyer immediately placed on Probation list before buyer tells story

6) buyer upon finding out he is on Probation list comes in on fire and sends $50 bucks

So did seller ever answer back buyer's request to know what books or is the onus on the buyer to figure out what books they were?

No one wants to change their tune when presented with different information. So looking at the facts what's the story?

That's what I'm wondering here. Was Chunkybutt sending a PM to nobody because at this point Pat had removed himself from the thread?

Wow!

The search function unlike breathing is not to be an assumed skill.

Your Lawyer speak is criticizing details that are not really part of the issue. Dissecting Chunky's language while he tries to explain further does nothing. Yes it does make it look like you want to argue.

Also if you look through this discussion you will see how someone did support Holyghost going on the probation list because the person recommending him is a nice guy that wouldn't complain unless it was warranted. (or something to that effect before you bring the exact language and try to debate the differences). Certainly seems like the good old boys club.

And in the few extra minutes I had my google lawyering revealed that most states require a contract to be written for goods over $500?? As always I look forward to your response.

Does this mean you are legally obligated to sell me those WD imports?

I apologize in advance for my forthcoming comments. I really like the Boards, Board members, and I strive to be a good Boardie myself. However, I have to say this. These Boards are a striking example of a good ole boys club, particulary this probation process, as it stands. Trust me, I have been ed over, on occasion, over the years by other Boardies. I have never called out a Boardie on either this thread or any other thread. Why ? Because I recognize the Boards as a good ole boys club. I would get backlash from the 'I partied with this guy, I know what he's about' crowd with bandwagon jumpers soon to follow. Not worth it. With the exception of Sharon, a true voice of reason, I ask my fellow Boardies to give a little respect to the other guy, recognize the process, and don't jump immediately on the bandwagon. Thanks for listening.

Can someone point out a situation where anything like the bold section above was actually used as a reason to excuse clearly probation worthy behavior?

I can't remember a situation where someone was clearly in the wrong and then given a pass because of who they drank with, can anyone else?

These boards can be swift and unrelenting and unforgiving but usually it is this way to the ones truly deserving it's ire.

There is a process and a patience necessary to truly get to the bottom of a situation and to discover who wronged whom. That is undeniable. However, I have never experienced these boards defended the wrong party. I don't think that's accurate.

I can think of at least one. Either way, I agree with bob. If I tried to bring a complaint against a well established boardie, everyone would trip over each other to defend them. If the roles were reversed, I'd be burned at the stake for screwing over a longtime boardie. I recently had an issue with a boardie but there's no possible way I can bring it up given who he is and who I am in relation to Standing on the boards. If I had done to them what happened to me though, I'd be on the probation list in 5 seconds IMO.

Anyone who swallows a bad deal because the person on the other side of the deal is part of some perceived "in crowd" or "boy's club" is a low-self-esteem, self-flagellating insufficiently_thoughtful_person.

(tsk)

And if someone is having a conversation in a dead thread, the only person getting the message is - well - you.

Confession time: I have posted in a dead thread without realizing it.

I usually like to leave my threads open with anything related to a buy/sell.

I just assumed everyone else did the same. Not true.

Facts:

I'm not even sure of the facts, it's tough to figure out the timeline. It does seem like no one is intentionally trying to screw anyone over here though. Both sides feel slighted, and Sharon's suggestion of a nice calm PM exchange sounds like good medicine.

And if someone is having a conversation in a dead thread, the only person getting the message is - well - you.

Confession time: I have posted in a dead thread without realizing it.

I usually like to leave my threads open with anything related to a buy/sell.

I just assumed everyone else did the same. Not true.

:blush:

Me too in one of my early transactions here. I had a super purchase with a seller on here, and was asking about more books. I was wondering why he never responded back.

loldoh!

(I want Chris as the attorney sitting with RMA next to him if I am ever accused of manslaughter...;) NOT that I'm planning on it;)

+1 although paying by the hour the clock would never stop. :baiting:

Facts:

Fail.

Only 1 PM was closed. 2 others were active. 1 that was never replied to, 1 that was where I asked if he was still taking the books. That thread is still open.

Anyone who swallows a bad deal because the person on the other side of the deal is part of some perceived "in crowd" or "boy's club" is a low-self-esteem, self-flagellating insufficiently_thoughtful_person.

(tsk)

Not neccesarily true. Personally, I love a good confrontation. However, age has given me the wisdom to choose my battles wisely. Like in this example I will

accept your reference to me as a low-self-esteem, self-flagellating insufficiently_thoughtful_person and take the high road. You,sir, are simply not worth arguing with.

I also asked Eric in the PM if we could end this krap. I have always tried to get along with everyone here. I do not like when these things get personal, unless it is Roy.

Seriously, if it was a misunderstanding then I do not want him on the list. But I really just do not like feeling ignored. If it was a communication error, fine. But if I see you read a PM and not reply, I call it being ignored.

I do still feel insulted about this whole thing though. I have never been unfair to ANY member here, and have always encouraged a positive community for collectors.

Hopefully Eric will agree and we can squash this whole thing..

Chris, trust me, I mean no disrespect. Being local, I actually know you from years ago, when you would set up at the show on Golf Rd or stop into the LCS on Jackson street downtown (Can't remember the name of the store but the manager was Rex). I know you as an honest dealer and a standup guy. However, I fail to understand why you are so vehement in your arguments in this thread. As Sharon said, these are only comics books, and only 50 dollars worth. ????

Goodness, Those Golf Road shows....paid my way through college and law school from those. I don't think I could handle it now.

Being a dealer back in those days is part of what formed my expectations of people when they deal with one another. There were dealers and customers that would screw me over for $10 and then there were ones that would not take advantage with 100 times as much on the line.

It can be $5 or it can be $50, or $5,000 there's right and there's wrong. I don't have a dollar threshold where I start to expect people to act the right way.

It's the way he came in flying off the handle without actually knowing what he committed to buy and what he didn't is why I am so vehement.

I can't stomach people who don't use logic or don't have commons sense. Why check your own posts when you can scream and yell instead?

You can excuse a guy for forgetting or being disorganized but I can't see falling over myself in a hurry to cut someone slack who is in the wrong and then comes onto the board, without checking his own posts, and blames the seller who didn't do anything other than wait for 120 days to get paid for some books.

If someone said I didn't pay them for something I would be searching my own records and posts and emails to see what I did wrong, I wouldn't be running in, hair on fire claiming I never did a deal with the guy when I obviously wasn't sure, and was wrong.

There are people that treat deals on the forum as if they were optional or less real than a face to face deal. That's one of the reasons we have a probation list in the first place.

If someone's a big enough man to come in hurling bombs and saying "burn the fukin books", then they should be able to apologize when they realize they screwed up and wasted our time and this seller's time and, insulted him without cause.

Facts:

That's what I'm wondering here. Was Chunkybutt sending a PM to nobody because at this point Pat had removed himself from the thread?

No. They are still open save one from January.

(tsk)

Not neccesarily true. Personally, I love a good confrontation. However, age has given me the wisdom to choose my battles wisely. Like in this example I will

accept your reference to me as a low-self-esteem, self-flagellating insufficiently_thoughtful_person and take the high road. You,sir, are simply not worth arguing with.

If you don't have enough self-worth to stick up for yourself, no one else is going to do it for you. And we're not having an argument. I'm just telling you you're wrong.

(shrug)

And in the few extra minutes I had my google lawyering revealed that most states require a contract to be written for goods over $500?? As always I look forward to your response.

That may be true or false depending on what the contract is for and what actions the parties take after the verbal agreement to act in reliance upon the agreement. Acts in furtherance of the deal, especially detrimental reliance will seal a deal nicely.

Also, I WOULD love to face a defendant in court who made a deal and then broke it to sell the same item for twice and much and have them tell that to the judge. Verbal, written, or drawn in the sand with a stick...I would not have to get out of my chair to win.

Does this mean you are legally obligated to sell me those WD imports?

Yes...emails or electronic communications may be combined in order to divine and determine the existence of a contract between the parties and form a completed contract.

Or course it's a bad one for me, since I am making jack squat on the deal. :cry: