• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

So seriously how about stop flogging this dead horse and put some guidelines for the probie thread.

The seller must send a new PM (in case someone removed themselves) the offender to let them know their unsettled matter is in the discussion thread.

It tells the offender they have 2 - 4 days to respond (whatever everyone thinks is best) in there.

Then good ole boys or not everyone gets a fair shake.

Seconded. It goes:

1. Buyer & seller have 30 days to complete their transaction. After that, either party can bring it to this thread.

2. Once it's brought up here, the alleged offender gets a PM alerting them that they're on trial for their life, and have 48 hours to respond. Two days sounds long enough to me, after already waiting 30. And if the accused should miss the PM for whatever reason, it's only the Probies List, not the HOS we're talking about. You can always offer your side of the story, or make restitution, and have yourself removed.

3. If there's no response after 48 hours, or the mob has ruled, the List gets updated as appropriate.

Deal?

That sounds a he'll of a lot better than "he's new and has no references, we've waited 81 minutes so PL it is!" (thumbs u

Just to clarify since he seems to have taken offense to my posts, I don't think resurrection did anything wrong whatsoever. He nominated someone exactly like he should and from what I've seen, it was warranted.

My only problem was with what happened after where chunkbutt was given no time to respond before someone else put him on the PL. He says he's bought off of a bunch of boardies so he should at least have been given a day to respond or have some people he's bought from chime in. I have no problem at all with what resurrection did, just with the process that happened after.

Greggy and Chris. This is special fir me.

Does Shultz and the Sesame Street zombie have eyes for each other?

On the PL subject, I agree that the process was shortened a bit much today. It's a good bet that holyghost is a bad nut that belongs on a list. Someone jumped the gun to post Chunkybutt too quickly.

A couple of days is plenty for an alleged rules breaker to respond to a PM here.

Okay, back to the good ole boys program.

On the PL subject, I agree that the process was shortened a bit much today. It's a good bet that holyghost is a bad nut that belongs on a list. Someone jumped the gun to post Chunkybutt too quickly.

A couple of days is plenty for an alleged rules breaker to respond to a PM here.

How do you get into this club?

How do you get into this club?

I've been looking for the secret handshake for over 9 years now. No luck.

Okay, not to steer the conversation away from what's being debated, but I have to chime in on the Brad/holyghost situation as I found myself in the middle of things.

First some backstory: I was negotiating to buy a book from someone (let's call him "John") and he asked me if I would be interested in looking at a local collection for him (he lives nowhere near Chicago). I'd bought from him before, talked on the phone a few times regarding many things about the hobby, so I said "Sure!". It was exciting for me as I'd never looked at a collection before. He had made an offer on some books a few weeks ago that was declined by the sellers, but had kept in touch with them since, so everything was speculative at this point. This conversation took place about a week ago.

Fast forward to Wed. I get a call from John in the afternoon asking me if I was still interested in looking at the collection he had told me about. It seems that the sellers (Andrew aka holyghost & the owner of the books, James) had changed their mind and accepted the offer that he had made weeks ago. After many calls back and forth between the three of us (myself, John, seller), we had run into a hitch as the sellers wanted me to view the collection the next day (Thurs) but I couldn't swing that. Temporary plans were made to talk about viewing the collection some time the next week. In the early evening I got a call from John asking if I would be okay meeting with the sellers on Friday at a bank, looking over the books, paying them if everything was in order, and take possession of said books. I agreed and I set up a meeting point with the sellers on Thurs.

Fast forward to Friday. That morning I came across Brad's thread in CG about a deal gone bad. Once I read the Probation thread and saw who it was, I immediately called John and left him a voicemail and followed that with a call to Brad (and left him a voicemail). Neither one of us had any idea Brad had been in negotiations for this collection or that a deal had been reached between the two parties until reading the thread. Andrew (holyghost) had said that other people had been by to look at the books, but never was it mentioned that they had agreed to a price with someone else. So with much trepidation, I met with the sellers, looked over the books, paid them, and took possession of them.

I talked to Brad that afternoon and explained what I knew of the situation, offered up some options for restitution, and told him we would find some way to square things away with him

That may be true or false depending on what the contract is for and what actions the parties take after the verbal agreement to act in reliance upon the agreement. Acts in furtherance of the deal, especially detrimental reliance will seal a deal nicely.

OMG the UCC rears its head on the CGC Boards :o

I'm still confused? (shrug)

Thewatcher bought the books in question from Holyghost that Brad had agreed to buy.

I acted an as intermediary between the buyer and the sellers

Did Holyghost have an explanation for all of this?

Thewatcher bought the books in question from Holyghost that Brad had agreed to buy.

Sounds like neither you nor Brad did anything wrong, and the sellers were going back and forth trying to get the best deal without revealing how far along the first offer really was.

So how lax are we going to be with every single probation discussion? Every situation is different, and we all know that it will be in the future. However, the rules are that someone is Probation worthy if the following criteria are met:

1 - 30 days after a transaction has failed to complete on these boards

2 - The victim (either seller or buyer) has tried to contact the other party and either has not received a response or the party has failed to comply with the original agreement

If these two are met then the offender gets placed on the probation list. There is no gray area here. It is a probation list because there are unresolved issues still to be ironed out and the outcome of it once it is resolved is the removal of their name from said list. It does not go on your permanent record and it does not show up on your credit report - it is a mechanism to maintain the trust that is built in this community.

The way to get off the list is to get the original accuser to request removal.

Regardless of the circumstances I disagree with POV for taking chunkybutt off the list. There are still grievances still open and there is a misrepresentation right now on the probation list. The criteria has been met to get on the list but not to get off of it. The rules are rules and if we continue to bend them every time then there is no use for them.

I would add chunkybutt to the proby list once again, but I would prefer that POV removes his post rather than to get into a pizzing contest.

Did Holyghost have an explanation for all of this?

Sorta. When we met at the bank, at one point the conversation got around to offers that had been made for the collection. Suffice it say that HG's version of the story didn't jive with Brad's. I've known Brad for a few years and trust him implicitly, so you know who's side I believed

Sounds like neither you nor Brad did anything wrong, and the sellers were going back and forth trying to get the best deal without revealing how far along the first offer really was.

That's the conclusion we came to. After agreeing to Brad's offer, they figured that "John's" previous offer was far better and reached out to re-open negotiations. Everyone, with exception of the sellers, was in the dark about what was going on

I thought chunkmaster paid the $50 that was owed already, why would he stay on the list?

And for the record he completed a flawless transaction with me. Fast communication and paid fast too :)

On another note, the wording: " 1 - 30 days after a transaction has failed to complete on these boards"

should be elaborated on or I'm going to find myself on the probie list by about 48 different members whom have piles started from more than 30 days ago. doh!