• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

. It's the same comic (at least if it hasn't been pressed, which is true to the seller's claim) that's been graded twice. It is a 9.0 AND a 9.4. In other words, it IS exactly the same comic that it WAS. Problem is, the seller only chooses to disclose the higher graded circumstance to maximize the perceived value of the comic. .

Not to be disrespectful....but this makes zero sense to me.

The seller is showing the grade the book has on it right now. That's the grade of the book from CGC. That's CGC's opinion of the book right now. It's an opinion, and it has been shown that opinions as to grade and page quality can and do change over time.

If this book was sold in 1975 it might have attained a FN/MT grade from any of a dozen major sellers...and that would not be incorrect since it was their opinion of grade.

If you are interested in the grade the book "used to be" I am pretty sure it "used to be" a 9.8 when it rolled off the press

Under your logic the seller should mention that this book was most likely a 9.8 or better at one time, right?

That's why the section in bold makes no sense.

. It's the same comic (at least if it hasn't been pressed, which is true to the seller's claim) that's been graded twice. It is a 9.0 AND a 9.4. In other words, it IS exactly the same comic that it WAS. Problem is, the seller only chooses to disclose the higher graded circumstance to maximize the perceived value of the comic. .

Not to be disrespectful....but this makes zero sense to me.

The seller is showing the grade the book has on it right now. That's the grade of the book from CGC. That's CGC's opinion of the book right now. It's an opinion, and it has been shown that opinions as to grade and page quality can and do change over time.

If this book was sold in 1975 it might have attained a FN/MT grade from any of a dozen major sellers...and that would not be incorrect since it was their opinion of grade.

If you are interested in the grade the book "used to be" I am pretty sure it "used to be" a 9.8 when it rolled off the press

Under your logic the seller should mention that this book was most likely a 9.8 or better at one time, right?

That's why the section in bold makes no sense.

Great post :applause:

Apparently since my comments make no sense to you I have to repeat myself.

You knew the book used to be a 9.0 and by your own admission you lost interest in purchasing. This means you are no longer a prospective buyer.

You then commented with the ulterior motive, again by your own admission, to inform prospective buyers.

Making sense now?

So you took it upon yourself to decide what is universally relevant to prospective buyers and then inappropriately use someone's sales thread as a platform to peddle your beliefs.

:taptaptap:

This cracks me up.

Passing along info about some old comics being reslabbed is now equated to spouting biased beliefs. What's interesting is the idea that, just because someone is not interested in buying they should just keep their mouth shut. Sounds like you harbor some biased beliefs against the buyers of the world.

Buyers vs. Sellers - The Next Holy War!

It's biased in that not everyone cares to know.

The idea that if someone is not interested they should keep their mouth shut is the essence of the debate over thread krapping. There is nothing against starting another thread or bringing the discussion here. Maybe even updating the rules. Unless it is a universally accepted belief then where do we draw the line? I believe this is how the discussion started.

See, I hold an entirely different view. I post sales threads in the forum. Heck, I sell comics for a living. I could give a mess about thread krapping. In fact I endorse it in every one of my sales threads. If I post a sales thread I expect the books contained in it to be inspected, dissected, discussed, considered, and commented on. I love the positive comments ("What a great book!", "I'd buy it if I had the money!", "Great Price, Great Condition!"). I should also consider the negative comments. As a seller I should create a listing that is complete and above reproach. So if there is a negative comment (or thread krap) that is something I should be able to deal with with thick skin, an open mind, and a reasonable response. "You are thread-krapping, you big meanie" is not a reasonable response and does nothing to address the reason for the negative comment. Any seller listing here should understand that there are folks on the CGC boards who are very thorough in their understanding of the market and all the variables that go into buying and selling slabbed comics. If anyone is listing comics that have been upgraded here on these boards in these sales forums, ground zero for disclosure, then he should not be surprised when a boardie comes along and questions the listing. He should EXPECT it. You don't jump in a pool and get surprised when you get wet. Welcome the "thread-krap", address it, and move along.

I love it! (thumbs u

Interesting that the seller hasn't responded to any of this. Besides, I thought this thread was for probation discussions?

It is for probation discussions. The place for this discussion is here:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1976814#Post1976814

As stated in the first post there:

"The idea here is to keep the constant chatter out of the Probation Thread. That way it stays shorter and more accessible. If you want to discuss what's going on in Forum Sales, try to do so here." I thin k it would make a sweller place than here to discuss this kind of thing.

This is reason we sometimes have tons of new posts and no one added to the PL. Because the PL isn't even at issue here.

My apologies for sounding like a government worker.

PS - I just seeded it with some fascinating yet perky questions.

You knew the book used to be a 9.0 and by your own admission you lost interest in purchasing. This means you are no longer a prospective buyer.

You then commented with the ulterior motive, again by your own admission, to inform prospective buyers.

Making sense now?

So you took it upon yourself to decide what is universally relevant to prospective buyers and then inappropriately use someone's sales thread as a platform to peddle your beliefs.

This cracks me up.

Passing along info about some old comics being reslabbed is now equated to spouting biased beliefs. What's interesting is the idea that, just because someone is not interested in buying they should just keep their mouth shut. Sounds like you harbor some biased beliefs against the buyers of the world.

The idea that if someone is not interested they should keep their mouth shut is the essence of the debate over thread krapping. There is nothing against starting another thread or bringing the discussion here. Maybe even updating the rules. Unless it is a universally accepted belief then where do we draw the line? I believe this is how the discussion started.

See, I hold an entirely different view. I post sales threads in the forum. Heck, I sell comics for a living. I could give a mess about thread krapping. In fact I endorse it in every one of my sales threads. If I post a sales thread I expect the books contained in it to be inspected, dissected, discussed, considered, and commented on. I love the positive comments ("What a great book!", "I'd buy it if I had the money!", "Great Price, Great Condition!"). I should also consider the negative comments. As a seller I should create a listing that is complete and above reproach. So if there is a negative comment (or thread krap) that is something I should be able to deal with with thick skin, an open mind, and a reasonable response. "You are thread-krapping, you big meanie" is not a reasonable response and does nothing to address the reason for the negative comment. Any seller listing here should understand that there are folks on the CGC boards who are very thorough in their understanding of the market and all the variables that go into buying and selling slabbed comics. If anyone is listing comics that have been upgraded here on these boards in these sales forums, ground zero for disclosure, then he should not be surprised when a boardie comes along and questions the listing. He should EXPECT it. You don't jump in a pool and get surprised when you get wet. Welcome the "thread-krap", address it, and move along.

^^

Making sense now?

This cracks me up.

A laudable approach. Stand behind your inventory, your grades, your business...very laudable.

However, negative comments have another impact that you might not be considering. This isn't a convention or a store where someone raises an issue and your customers are standing there and listening for your response. Given the transient nature of internet posts and the people who read them, you (as an earnest and forthright seller) may have someone make a statement or negative claim about you and your products while you are either otherwise occupied or make a statement that dozens of people see and perhaps believe causing them to exit your thread never to look back.

By the time you've returned and made your earnest, thoughtful and complete disclosure and have utterly debunked the false or misleading negative comment you have already lost all those people that saw the negative and/or false comment sans clarification or debunking from you as the seller.

It's a nice thought, and it's a great stance to take (to be transparent and clear in what you sell) but negative comments can and do harm sellers and sales threads and you cannot un-ring the bell, so to speak, because you don't have any idea who saw the comments, who heeded the comments and who may have moved on from your thread and won't return to see the clarification and correction you post afterwards.

I don't think it's unreasonable for sellers to expect people to be respectful of a threads parameters and responsible in their comments when they are stating opinion and not fact.

Making sense now?

This cracks me up.

A laudable approach. Stand behind your inventory, your grades, your business...very laudable.

However, negative comments have another impact that you might not be considering. This isn't a convention or a store where someone raises an issue and your customers are standing there and listening for your response. Given the transient nature of internet posts and the people who read them, you (as an earnest and forthright seller) may have someone make a statement or negative claim about you and your products while you are either otherwise occupied or make a statement that dozens of people see and perhaps believe causing them to exit your thread never to look back.

By the time you've returned and made your earnest, thoughtful and complete disclosure and have utterly debunked the false or misleading negative comment you have already lost all those people that saw the negative and/or false comment sans clarification or debunking from you as the seller.

It's a nice thought, and it's a great stance to take (to be transparent and clear in what you sell) but negative comments can and do harm sellers and sales threads and you cannot un-ring the bell, so to speak, because you don't have any idea who saw the comments, who heeded the comments and who may have moved on from your thread and won't return to see the clarification and correction you post afterwards.

I don't think it's unreasonable for sellers to expect people to be respectful of a threads parameters and responsible in their comments when they are stating opinion and not fact.

I cant argue any of that.

But still, If i see something i think is out of line i will say something if it serves the interest of the community. I hope that my fellow collectors will do the same. This is the largest comic selling venue in which the collectors have a voice. If you choose (it is a choice) to sell here you will have to either hear or ignore those voices. They will not, and i hope they do not, go away.

Making sense now?

This cracks me up.

+ a million

This discussion, should not be a pressing thread...it's about information. Just because some people don't care about the history of a book, it doesn't mean there aren't others who do, even if it's just ONE person.

I can't understand the reason for having ANYTHING to hide, if people really don't care about a book as long as it's got a CGC grade, then giving someone else the history of the grade (who might care), should not be a problem.

Same with restoration, true ownership of goods...whatever it is, I just can't see a good reason for hiding information.

It would be nice, if the information disclosed was discussed politely.

Making sense now?

This cracks me up.

+ a million

This discussion, should not be a pressing thread...it's about information. Just because some people don't care about the history of a book, it doesn't mean there aren't others who do, even if it's just ONE person.

I can't understand the reason for having ANYTHING to hide, if people really don't care about a book as long as it's got a CGC grade, then giving someone else the history of the grade (who might care), should not be a problem.

Same with restoration, true ownership of goods...whatever it is, I just can't see a good reason for hiding information.

It's not a question of hiding anything. In fact it may just be a case of difference of opinion what to 'disclose'. Nobody here can start a sales thread that answers any and all questions about every book within the the thread. If someone has a question feel free to ask. I also did not say Bob had to be quiet about what he knew.

What I am saying is the seller's right to his opinion is just as strong as Bob's right to his opinion. At the end of the day it is an opinion. The reason Bob's comment was inappropriate was because it was in the seller's thread. All other things being equal then discuss and post opinions until the cows come home. But the trump card fir the seller is it is his thread. So long as he is not breaking forum rules then his thread his rules.

The seller above invites/allows/expects those comments and all the power to him. It is his sales thread.

We all have our sales tactics. We all have personal views on integrity and customer service. So long as a seller is following forum rules they should be allowed to conduct business as they see fit.

Making sense now?

This cracks me up.

+ a million

It's not a question of hiding anything. In fact it may just be a case of difference of opinion what to 'disclose'. Nobody here can start a sales thread that answers any and all questions about every book within the the thread. If someone has a question feel free to ask. I also did not say Bob had to be quiet about what he knew.

What I am saying is the seller's right to his opinion is just as strong as Bob's right to his opinion. At the end of the day it is an opinion. The reason Bob's comment was inappropriate was because it was in the seller's thread. All other things being equal then discuss and post opinions until the cows come home. But the trump card fir the seller is it is his thread. So long as he is not breaking forum rules then his thread his rules.

The seller above invites/allows/expects those comments and all the power to him. It is his sales thread.

We all have our sales tactics. We all have personal views on integrity and customer service. So long as a seller is following forum rules they should be allowed to conduct business as they see fit.

I have nothing against you personally, and I don't want to argue with your "personal views" on integrity. Again, this is becoming a "pressing discussion" and whether pressing is something that needs to be disclosed, so I will just respectfully disagree.

I'll buy a pressed book. I'll buy a restored book, I just don't see the point is hiding information. I personally don't hide anything that I'm aware of regarding books I sell or trade, if I leave something out, it's a mistake and I'd never mind if someone pointed it out, if it costs me a sale, or sales...that's fine.

I don't like to disrupt threads...some time ago, a seller was selling a book on here, that he had listed on eBay stating it had restoration. He failed to list that in his sales thread here, calling the book specifically "unrestored". I pointed it out on the thread...because I had information that I believed my fellow boarders, should also have.

There was a whole hullabaloo. I don't like to start problems, I WOULD however, "threadcrap" again, if I saw something egregious, even if it's not against a formal "rule". I'm part of a community that protects our members...people have done the same for me.

I would not tell someone their price is too high, the book is ugly, I have 73 of them, someone else on eBay or next door is selling one, I do have my limits ;)

The idea that sales threads are sacrosanct, just doesn't make any sense to me.

The sales forum is tangential to the FORUM, it does not run the forum. No one has the right to make a living here, it's a bonus that we can sell with no fees, and a nice one...but it's the tail of the dog, not the body.

Pov, I apologize, I won't answer here again, you are right, the subject doesn't really belong here :foryou:

Edited by skypinkblu

Since this may impact future sales forum rules and/or probation nominations I think it is fine right here.

This current thread is filled with opinions all across the board, so to speak. It is what the other thread was designed for.

If you are proposing changes to the Probation Rules, then please make your proposals. Otherwise please continue the discussion at:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1976814#Post1976814

It is what it was designed for.

Then, when you decide what changes you want to make in the PL Rules, bring it back here and make your proposals.

PS - :hi:Sky!

All hooey.

All the things you mention that could happen do happen regularly already. Every business has to deal with negative comments, be it on the internet, person to person, or in store. If I worried about someone saying something negative about me or my business on the internet I would have a daily nervous breakdown. I can't possibly monitor every thread here, much less on every other web-site, chat board or comic related site, or non-comic related site. Folks could be out there falsely disparaging Bedrock City all over the place. How would I know? The key is in how a business deals with those comments and their impact on that business's image. It is called public relations.

I can only deal with what I can deal with. I can control how I release information pertaining to my business. And I can control how I respond to those who comment in the areas that I monitor. If I post a sales thread and someone makes a negative comment it is up to me, and ultimately only me, to deal with it.

Wrong thread fellas,please take it to the appropriate thread. :foryou:

But I'm pro-threadkrap...

And displaying it here. lol

and "all hooey"?? :roflmao:

I picture Gabby Hayes saying it...for maximum impact.

118811.jpg.a4efda72772cbbd950259063370419de.jpg