• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

Hi sorry guys I have been busy this last little bit. Tinkie1100 in not a cgc board member(at least from that alias) that i know of. This is for an offsite transaction to be clear but the seller is pretty well known on ebay. Another warning this seller sells alot of books not just over graded but they seem to be from a lot that suffer huge distributor ink blots(I mean blots much larger than normally found) I had seen some distro ink that was going clear along the entire top making some pretty big pools of ink smudges.

My cell carrier is ok for now thanks, but does the probie list not allow for a seller to be noted as long as its specified as an off site transaction?

Regards

The probation list is for former members only. An off board transaction can be noted, as long as their members of this forum.
Fixed that for you! lol

I think its safe to add BlahBlahBlah2007 to the probation list. 3 months and nothing. Stole $173 from me. Stopped communicating with me about a month ago. Never gave me a tracking number or anything.

I asked and the other person who bought something from the sale thread and they said they received their item, but got their item was in lower grade than described.

Edited by lemonman5

Ok thanks gents im in the clear and now understand!!! if anyone has a link to where i can post such sellers let me know when we think the small group related to the relative population we comic collectors are important to warn others!!! Have a great new years !!!

After speaking with a couple folks who wish to remain anonymous i would like to bring an issue (maybe a second identical issue) in front of the community.

I believe i have identified a member on the HoS list as having a shill and integrating himself back into the buying and selling community.

I believe member Waldo-Johnson is none other than our great friend and schemer Muscleshark AKA DrFRANKENSTEIN.

Aside from the obviously similar posting style, I have a bit of (very solid) circumstantial evidence. I do not know how to link this so people will have to reproduce the searches for themselves

Search for the word "CRIMETIME" with parameters older than 1 yr, newer than 3 yrs. This was franks nickname for member primetime (who i infer he is friends with)

As you can see he is the only person to have ever called him that or said that period.

Now search the same term but change th parameter to newer than 1 year.

I would have brought it up sooner but somehow i didnt realize he was on HoS, I figured he was dodging his old nick on reputation alone. Anyone care discuss?

In the unexpected event i am proven wrong, my sincerest apologies to "Mr.Johnson"

hm

It's still in the slab in that photo. lol

What a f'n tool.

I like the description " 9.0 You decide", and since when is a 9.0 NM. (worship)

DR.X

Edited by DR.X

This is a long explanation of something that has been bothering me for a while. Maybe it's too late to add the seller to the probation list, maybe not. Maybe I'm out of line, maybe I'm being overly nice about the events. Regardless, I'll post the events here and see what you guys think.

So this dates back to July of 2010.... I posted a WTB thread for some VF or better books. The seller contacted me and said he would track down the books "As long as you are willing to pay something reasonable". I responded 1/2 of OSPG and we were off...

I recieve this response the next day:

"at least 1/2 of the GI Joes, Star Wars and Transforms were located. These books are all in high grade. They would have come from one of 2 OO collections that i purchased and have, for the most part been sitting untouched for the last 15 years."

Followed by the listing of the books and this response:

"I think all of them will at least meet your minimum grade, if not a bit higher"

I then followed with this...

"Just to be clear - when you say all will meet my minimum grade, are you saying they are all VF (if not a bit higher)?"

His response:

"I have not done a detailed inspection, nor do i certify grades, but they all lookled very nice. I will scan a couple for you and email them to you if you want"

So he sends me the scans of, as he put it, the "worst books" as well as the 2 biggest 'keys' (Joe 21 & Transformers 80) by my request. Important to note here that these did not include 3 books that will be later debated.

What he sends seems fine, and we discuss price some more. 1/2 of OSPG for the grades the books are in.

A few days pass and the seller just says:

"Ok here is what I was thinking

The entire pile of books for $200 including priority shiopping for $200

That seemed to me to be a pretty fair deal on both sides."

Seems fine, we move forward exchange funds, etc. Books arrive and I leave him three messages over an hour span:

PM 1

"I'm currently looking over them... unfortunately I've already found two books that are in worse condition than I was hoping. Star Wars #3 has some kind of substance stuck on the back and a rusted staple (I would imagine from whatever that substance is). Transformers 79 is extremely dirty on the front, to the point that it's not even a presentable copy.

I'll look through the rest of the books... but let me know how you would like to handle these."

PM2

"I looked through the rest of the books real quick - they look as expected.

I normally wouldn't care too much about mis represented books, but these two books were I believe the 3rd and 4th most valuable of the lot and two of the books I was most excited to add to my collection.

Look forward to hearing back from you."

PM3

"Another quick update - I found some water damage on GI Joe #18, so add that one to the list of issues that were in way worse condition than expected. I also found a few others that I don't think are VF or better - but I'm not going to nit pick too much more.

Let me know how we can handle this. I can ship the books back if you'd like or maybe we can do some type of refund if you don't want them back? I'm open to suggestions."

His response:

"I tried to leave a good bit of room in the price to handle some that were lower grades, or even higher grades.

with the cost of shipping I sold the lot to you for about $180.

I think the total value in 9.0 was 450-500 so even with the damage and lower values on a few I would think that the total guide was still over 360. If you think that the total was lower let me know what you come up with. I can paypal some of the funds back to you.

I hope in your analysis you would grade/value books over 9.0 as well"

MY Response:

"I know it's unreasonable for me to expect you to individually grade 30 or so issues, so I understand things like stains on the back covers or water damage being overlooked. I'd be doing myself a disservice if I didn't bring the major flaws of those books to you attention, so I turn it over to you to make a suggestion on what you think should be done.

Other than the issues mentioned, everything else was exactly what I expected. "

No response.... 5 days later I PM him again. No response. 4 Days later I send this.

"Still no response or attempt to make the deal right? Bottom line - I asked for VF or better and a few of the books were not. I'm not necessarily faulting you for that, as I understand some flaws are missed when dealing with a stack of books. What I'm asking you to do is make right with the fact that a few of the books were improperly graded wrong. I've left that to you to decide what you would prefer. I would gladly mail the water damaged books back for a refund or would even consider keeping the books and taking a small refund.

Whether or not the stack of books are worth half of guide in their current state is meaningless to me, what matters is that they are not VF or better as I asked for. You proposed a flat fee, knowing my criteria, and I accepted it assuming the books met my criteria that I know you were aware of.

Please make an attempt to make things right... geez, at least respond to me. I really don't want to have to escalate this through paypal or any other ridiculous steps. Where both adults, I'm sure we can work something out here. That starts with you at least acknowledging that something needs done."

No response.... and I never followed through with paypal. For some reason I kept expecting a response. So this dies for a year, but I certainly didn't forget.

So in Dec I'm looking through the VCC and I see a username that I recognize. It's of course my old 'friend' from a year ago. I don't think he's been very active since the last dealings we had. I send him this message, 16 months after the last.

"I see you've been more active lately on the boards and are running a VCC booth. You ready to discuss our deal from a year ago that I was unhappy with? I didn't take this to paypal or trash you on the boards... but I certainly didn't forget my displeasure with our deal and how you ignored it."

His response:

"II apologize for not responing and trying to find a solution that worked for both of us.

Ii variety of issues just overwhelmed me and as you noticed I was not on the boards for probably over a year."

My Response:

"Thanks for the response. I'll be honest, I didn't expect it.

It's been well over a year and I have sort of moved on... though not forgotten. I just happened to be looking through the VCC and saw your username and I knew I remembered it from somewhere.

Any ways... I've since replaced the Star Wars #3 and GI Joe #18, but not the Transformers #79. I don't remember the exact prices, but I'm guessing I paid about $5 an issue. At this point I'll put the ball back in your court and see how you think we can put this old case to rest."

No response.... 4 days later I respond again. 11 Days later I respond again:

"Well?? Not even an offer to refund me the $10 I had to pay to replace the 2 issues?"

That was about 2 weeks ago and I still haven't heard anything back.

So.... what do you guys think here?? Probation worthy?

Why would you think it's unreasonable to ask someone to grade out thirty books? I do it all the time and in much larger numbers. That's not a unreasonable request at all for any reputable seller.

DR.X

I think you were being too nice about the transaction overall. I am not sure that the transaction is probation worthy but this seller isn't one that I would like to deal with in the future.

He should have graded out every single issue and provided grades for them. He wasn't selling .25¢ books here. I know that I am lax on these boards when I purchase but the seller should have provided scans of all the books.

Do you agree that the lot you bought for 180 dollars had a book value of 350-400 dollars?

He did say he would refund money to your PayPal, yet you kicked it back to him, to come up with a solution. If you had the problem, you maybe should have suggested a way to make you whole, which in retrospect turns out to be about 10 dollars.

IMO this is not a probation worthy issue. (shrug)

Why would you think it's unreasonable to ask someone to grade out thirty books? I do it all the time and in much larger numbers. That's not a unreasonable request at all for any reputable seller.

DR.X

+ 1

I think its safe to add BlahBlahBlah2007 to the probation list. 3 months and nothing. Stole $173 from me. Stopped communicating with me about a month ago. Never gave me a tracking number or anything.

I asked and the other person who bought something from the sale thread and they said they received their item, but got their item was in lower grade than described.

After looking for a different issue I stumbled on an invoice from this seller. I purchased a Chew 1 from him, he is based in the UK. I got my book in a timely manner and was graded as presented.

I think there were three buyers in that thread. Did he initially tell you why you didn't receive the book? Did you use PayPal?

DR.X

I was new to the boards and didn't realize people here did that. My experiences elsewhere (ebay, mycomicshop, etc) were people roughly graded the books and were willing to make things right. If something was wrong.

I think you were being too nice about the transaction overall. I am not sure that the transaction is probation worthy but this seller isn't one that I would like to deal with in the future.

He should have graded out every single issue and provided grades for them. He wasn't selling .25¢ books here. I know that I am lax on these boards when I purchase but the seller should have provided scans of all the books.

I agree, I was way too nice. Again, was new and the seller was not.

Do you agree that the lot you bought for 180 dollars had a book value of 350-400 dollars?

He did say he would refund money to your PayPal, yet you kicked it back to him, to come up with a solution. If you had the problem, you maybe should have suggested a way to make you whole, which in retrospect turns out to be about 10 dollars.

IMO this is not a probation worthy issue. (shrug)

I think the lost was less after the condition of the books. Close though....

I kicked it back to him cause I wasn't sure if he wanted the books back or just wanted to issue a refund. I should have been more demanding. Lesson learned there.