• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

I think it is a worthy topic, but I think it sets bad precedent to post it in such a manner in sellers thread. It just hits the whole slippery slope argument to me and I think has the potential to turn the marketplace into a rather combatitive place. I would think instead to discuss those concerns in the discussion threads set aside for such :shrug:

You have a good point about keeping a good vibe in the marketplace. Unfortunately, most prospective buyers checking out sales threads are unlikely to find the discussion from another thread.

So what was the point of your comment?

To make prospective buyers aware that not all the relevant history about the comics being offered by this seller was being made available. In the past, this has included not just grade changes, but purposefully 'lost' pedigree designations. That kind of selling lacks integrity.

Relevant history? Relevant to who?

Prospective buyers

Are you a prospective buyer?

Yes, and I've bought from the seller in question in the past. If you're looking for some ulterior motive, you're going to come up empty.

Highly unlikely. If you were a prospective buyer then you would have made like jeopardy and answered in the form of a question. You claimed a dislike for losing a pedigree status and it seems you knew the history of the book. Knowing all this all that's left is the price. Did you PM an offer? I didn't see one in the thread.

Without taking any sides about the Namisgr's post I have a question for the Boards...

'If' you were the buyer = actually bought the book in the ballpark of the 4K asking price, and later found out the book was a 9.0 would you be upset ?

I would certainly be upset if I thought the current grade was inaccurate. Having a comic in hand is necessary to make that judgement, as scans only provide so much information. Consequently, when considering making the purchase on the basis of scans alone, having additional information about the book in the form of a vastly different grade handed out by CGC could impact my buying decision.

Without taking any sides about the Namisgr's post I have a question for the Boards...

'If' you were the buyer = actually bought the book in the ballpark of the 4K asking price, and later found out the book was a 9.0 would you be upset ?

I missed the sales thread. Is the book in a slab now? or was it cracked out and being sold raw?

Slabbed

Then no, I wouldn't be upset. I am buying the book today, in it's grade today. I have seen books with zero manipulation change significantly in grade depending on when they were done.

Besides all that grade is an opinion. If their opinion was lower before and higher now it's still just an opinion and people should decide if they agree with the grade and price now.

To make prospective buyers aware that not all the relevant history about the comics being offered by this seller was being made available. In the past, this has included not just grade changes, but purposefully 'lost' pedigree designations. That kind of selling lacks integrity.

Prospective buyers

Yes, and I've bought from the seller in question in the past. If you're looking for some ulterior motive, you're going to come up empty.

Highly unlikely. If you were a prospective buyer then you would have made like jeopardy and answered in the form of a question. You claimed a dislike for losing a pedigree status and it seems you knew the history of the book. Knowing all this all that's left is the price. Did you PM an offer? I didn't see one in the thread.

No offer. Knowing the seller's history with re-grades, I found information about this and several other comics being offered from the Comiclink sales archive. Knowing the FF26 used to be graded 9.0 played a major part in deciding to not consider the comic further.

I think it is a worthy topic, but I think it sets bad precedent to post it in such a manner in sellers thread. It just hits the whole slippery slope argument to me and I think has the potential to turn the marketplace into a rather combatitive place. I would think instead to discuss those concerns in the discussion threads set aside for such :shrug:

You have a good point about keeping a good vibe in the marketplace. Unfortunately, most prospective buyers checking out sales threads are unlikely to find the discussion from another thread.

Prospective buyers

No offer. Knowing the seller's history with re-grades, I found information about this and several other comics being offered from the Comiclink sales archive. Knowing the FF26 used to be graded 9.0 played a major part in deciding to not consider the comic further.

Then no you were not a prospective buyer and yes you have an ulterior motive. :makepoint:

Your comment makes no sense. I am a high grade FF collector looking actively for upgrades. I've purchased three from the boards within the past month alone. This comic in its current grade would be an upgrade for me. I lost interest in purchasing the comic after learning it had previously been graded by CGC as a 9.0.

Your comment makes no sense. I am a high grade FF collector looking actively for upgrades. I've purchased two from the boards within the past month alone. This comic in its current grade would be an upgrade for me. I lost interest in purchasing the comic after learning it had previously been graded by CGC as a 9.0.

If you knew this then why your comment in the sales thread?

Your comment makes no sense. I am a high grade FF collector looking actively for upgrades. I've purchased two from the boards within the past month alone. This comic in its current grade would be an upgrade for me. I lost interest in purchasing the comic after learning it had previously been graded by CGC as a 9.0.

You must like repetition, since you asked me this before and I answered before: to inform prospective buyers.

You must like repetition, since you asked me this before and I answered before: to inform prospective buyers.

Apparently since my comments make no sense to you I have to repeat myself.

You knew the book used to be a 9.0 and by your own admission you lost interest in purchasing. This means you are no longer a prospective buyer.

You then commented with the ulterior motive, again by your own admission, to inform prospective buyers.

Making sense now?

So you took it upon yourself to decide what is universally relevant to prospective buyers and then inappropriately use someone's sales thread as a platform to peddle your beliefs.

:taptaptap:

You knew the book used to be a 9.0 and by your own admission you lost interest in purchasing. This means you are no longer a prospective buyer.

You then commented with the ulterior motive, again by your own admission, to inform prospective buyers.

Making sense now?

So you took it upon yourself to decide what is universally relevant to prospective buyers and then inappropriately use someone's sales thread as a platform to peddle your beliefs.

This cracks me up.

Passing along info about some old comics being reslabbed is now equated to spouting biased beliefs. What's interesting is the idea that, just because someone is not interested in buying they should just keep their mouth shut. Sounds like you harbor some biased beliefs against the buyers of the world.

Buyers vs. Sellers - The Next Holy War!

Was the book a straight resub or was the book pressed then resubbed? I for one would certainly like to know ALL of the information prior to making an offer on the book.
You are looking for disclosure? F that! We makin fee free money round here , milk those nerds for all they're worth.

Is there going to be a Christmas forum dinner this year?

Yes, but everyone will be required to throw their food (plates and utensils included) at everyone else around the table.

:P

:wishluck: Here's hoping they take the creamed corn off the menu then. :wishluck:

Making sense now?

This cracks me up.

Passing along info about some old comics being reslabbed is now equated to spouting biased beliefs. What's interesting is the idea that, just because someone is not interested in buying they should just keep their mouth shut. Sounds like you harbor some biased beliefs against the buyers of the world.

Buyers vs. Sellers - The Next Holy War!

It's biased in that not everyone cares to know.

The idea that if someone is not interested they should keep their mouth shut is the essence of the debate over thread krapping. There is nothing against starting another thread or bringing the discussion here. Maybe even updating the rules. Unless it is a universally accepted belief then where do we draw the line? I believe this is how the discussion started.

While threadcrapping is not cool for the most part. I understand why Bob did it and while I had no plans of buying anything in that thread; informing individuals on this forum about particular selling tatics is appreciated. I don't know Spider Dan so there is nothing personal against him. I do not care is a book has been pressed 1 time or 5 times. Wiping out a pedigree status for a buck rubs me the wrong way. I understand they are his books and he can do what he wants, but now that I know he does this, there is one less potental customer to encourage him from doing it in the future as a result.

Informing individuals about selling practices is great. For that I give Bob kudos. It is not appropriate to discuss it in someone sales thread given they have broken no forum rules.