• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

this why you should always buy slabbed books.

Yes, i always buy my VF copper slabbed. What a thought out and cost effective solution.

Yes, i always buy my VF copper slabbed. What a thought out and cost effective solution.

be sarcastic all you want. but it's the truth. if the OP did, he wouldn't be having this problem. we all know that grading is subjective on raw books. :screwy:

be sarcastic all you want. but it's the truth. if the OP did, he wouldn't be having this problem. we all know that grading is subjective on raw books. :screwy:

These do seem to be major grading flaws, though. Not quibbles.

Still, I wonder for the OP what would make him whole? $10? A few more books? Seems like a very good deal and the 'wiggle room' should have been disclosed up front in the transaction rather than post sale.

Is it simply lack of communication or did you really want compensation? Does seem like you got an exceptionally good deal to start with.

If I were selling, I would acknowledge the oversight, but not sure I would give back money given the deal. Maybe a credit for a future purchase? Maybe ask buyer to send back books on his dime and then refund the price of those books within the deal?

Curious what others would do in the seller's position. This is helpful for me as I contemplate starting my first sales thread.

Edited by Trev

Still, I wonder for the OP what would make him whole? $10? A few more books? Seems like a very good deal and the 'wiggle room' should have been disclosed up front in the transaction rather than post sale.

Is it simply lack of communication or did you really want compensation? Does seem like you got an exceptionally good deal to start with.

If I were selling, I would acknowledge the oversight, but not sure I would give back money given the deal. Maybe a credit for a future purchase? Maybe ask buyer to send back books on his dime and then refund the price of those books within the deal?

Curious what others would do in the seller's position. This is helpful for me as I contemplate starting my first sales thread.

I ran into a similar difficulty when I was selling a group of books a while back. A group price was negotiated, with a substantial discount given. I was informed after the books were received that a couple were lower grade than expected. :doh: I fully believe that was the case, as the buyer had no reason to deceive in this case. I issued a partial refund in that case (as that is what they asked for). I had offered either a full return or to refund the amount those two books cost. I always allow for returns here (raw and slabbed), and would suggest you do the same if you want to promote interest and a feeling of safety with a new seller. :preach:

However, on reflection, I think in the future I might try to just take returns on a whole order instead of partial. I think this for a couple of reasons...first, I just do not like negotiating those partial refunds. Second, I suspect if I overgraded a couple of books in a group of twenty to thirty, I probably undergraded a similar number. I think (especially on eBay) the partial refund allows folks to take the cream of the crop in a grouping of books and offset the cost by complaining about the low end of the batch :shrug: Anyway, just something I am considering moving forward.

Either way though, not having a return policy...and not answering PMs is a sure fire way to make life difficult for yourself here if you sell.

I don't know. For me, I would just want to return the entire stack unless there was enough in grade, then just the few books in question. Once you hit a rusty staple, for me the deal is sour. I cannot comment on the other two problem comics without seeing scans. The OP had missed the water damage the first time around. I can see that being missed by the seller as well.

I think the major problem is the lack of communication. The seller should have at least acknowledged the PMs.

I ran into a similar difficulty when I was selling a group of books a while back. A group price was negotiated, with a substantial discount given. I was informed after the books were received that a couple were lower grade than expected. :doh: I fully believe that was the case, as the buyer had no reason to deceive in this case. I issued a partial refund in that case (as that is what they asked for). I had offered either a full return or to refund the amount those two books cost. I always allow for returns here (raw and slabbed), and would suggest you do the same if you want to promote interest and a feeling of safety with a new seller. :preach:

However, on reflection, I think in the future I might try to just take returns on a whole order instead of partial. I think this for a couple of reasons...first, I just do not like negotiating those partial refunds. Second, I suspect if I overgraded a couple of books in a group of twenty to thirty, I probably undergraded a similar number. I think (especially on eBay) the partial refund allows folks to take the cream of the crop in a grouping of books and offset the cost by complaining about the low end of the batch :shrug: Anyway, just something I am considering moving forward.

Either way though, not having a return policy...and not answering PMs is a sure fire way to make life difficult for yourself here if you sell.

I agree, refunds are all or none with me, unless each book was priced and bought individually.

If I were the seller, I would absolutely work out a partial refund or take the books back. I can see missing one, maybe two flaws, but they sound pretty significantly 'not as described'. On a $200 transaction there should not have been that many misses in the first place.

If I were the seller, I would absolutely work out a partial refund or take the books back. I can see missing one, maybe two flaws, but they sound pretty significantly 'not as described'. On a $200 transaction there should not have been that many misses in the first place.

I can see it happening easily, when it's a $400 batch of books for $200 and when there's no discussion of individual grades, or prices, and just group assumptions.

I can see that happening all the time.

If this were one $200 book at full guide, no way. A discount group at 1/2 off with no specifics? Yeah, you are just begging for it.

:popcorn:

Were the Dr Frank and Muscleshark accounts ever banned or is he just a two-time HOS shill?

I think he started as Muscleshark, threatened everyone in the Continental US, changed his name to DrFrankenstein, threatened the rest of the known world and then was banned?

I think. I could be wrong about the banned part but not the threat parts.

Were the Dr Frank and Muscleshark accounts ever banned or is he just a two-time HOS shill?

I don't think so. Weren't they strikes?

Looks like you're right... I've just been going through the stike / name changes sub-forum (some amusing memories dredged up there). A couple of strikes for each of the Frank and Shark names but no bans that I could see.

I assume that's why this incarnation hasn't been hit by moderator action already, then? TPTB are a bit more lax on shills if only one account is active and the member has never been banned?

Edited by Loki

He has at least one other ID too. Probably more.