• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

I can tell you this with 100% certainty, ANYONE that cant deal with Barton (Ghost Town) and is returning HIS books, is NOT someone i would ever deal with!

Returning a book from Ghost Town?!? Thats like refusing a gift from the hand of god! What the hell could you possibly want if Bartons books aren't good enough for you?!? ???

He has some of the sickest books on the planet for gods sake! I dont know which book it was this guy bought from him but i know the sales thread it came from and every single book in there was insane and something i would kill for! A PP dispute over a top label missing??? even if that was true, which knowing Barton i HIGHLY doubt!, opening a PP dispute without even talking to him is a dooshnozzle move to the 10th degree! meh

Anyone that collect slabs knows that the top labels, especially the old label top labels, get dry, or loose, and sometimes come off. No seller represents or warrants anything about top frickin' labels.

And if Barton says it was on there when he shipped it, it was. If I punched myself in the nuts every time I was shocked by people's actions in the marketplace, i would be a eunuch.

Thanks for the support, guys. For what it's worth, it bugs me when the top label is missing from a slab. So much so that I took the time to photoshop together a replacement label. I'm not very photoshop savvy, so it took me a freaking long time.

FF56label.jpg

So never had cause to use this thread before but what can a seller do to a buyer?

I sold some books a week and a half ago. Buyer gets them saying one slab is cracked. I told him to send me pics of the box and of the slab so I could see because they were double boxed. Buyer then removes himself from the topic and opens a paypal claim. I replied to the claim and then to the buyer in a new pm. New pm states that I offered a counter refund to cover a reholder fee and that he cannot get a response to me if he removes himself from the topic. Without replying he simply removes himself from that pm as well.

Edit: Sale was for two books shipped for $110. I think I had them up for 60 each. Buyer is asking for $80 in the refund.

you may have to wait for the paypal outcome and see if the book is returned before you can nominate the buyer

if you want, out the buyer anyway and see if he/she shows up here

Yes. Please out this person so I don't have to sell to him.

I'd like to know as well

I didn't realize the reholder fee had been bumped up to $80 a book. lol

Sounds like someone's dipped in the peyote bucket again. :ohnoez:

I countered him with a $30 refund and he accepted. That should cover a reholder and some shipping assuming it really is damaged. The guy's user name is gecko157 for those of you that care. I guess it is resolved but he is now on my ignore list and I will never have any dealings with him again.

gecko157 just opened a $50 PayPal dispute against me. Here's what it says:

"The top label of the book has been removed. You did not disclose this to me prior to the purchase. I would like to send in for a refund or I would accept a partial refund to have the book re-slabbed."

He never PM'd me after receiving the book. Just opened a the dispute with PayPal.

The sale was for $130 shipped, by the way. I packed the book myself and the top label was still attached when I did. I e-mailed him back through PayPal just to send the book back for a full refund. I'm curious how this will play out.

In the meantime, I think sellers here should be aware.

Sorry you have to go through this...it makes no sense for him not to even contact you...but are both transactions Gecko 157? I didn't see the name of the first transgressor listed?

So never had cause to use this thread before but what can a seller do to a buyer?

I sold some books a week and a half ago. Buyer gets them saying one slab is cracked. I told him to send me pics of the box and of the slab so I could see because they were double boxed. Buyer then removes himself from the topic and opens a paypal claim. I replied to the claim and then to the buyer in a new pm. New pm states that I offered a counter refund to cover a reholder fee and that he cannot get a response to me if he removes himself from the topic. Without replying he simply removes himself from that pm as well.

Edit: Sale was for two books shipped for $110. I think I had them up for 60 each. Buyer is asking for $80 in the refund.

you may have to wait for the paypal outcome and see if the book is returned before you can nominate the buyer

I'd like to know as well

I countered him with a $30 refund and he accepted. That should cover a reholder and some shipping assuming it really is damaged. The guy's user name is gecko157 for those of you that care. I guess it is resolved but he is now on my ignore list and I will never have any dealings with him again.

"The top label of the book has been removed. You did not disclose this to me prior to the purchase. I would like to send in for a refund or I would accept a partial refund to have the book re-slabbed."

He never PM'd me after receiving the book. Just opened a the dispute with PayPal.

The sale was for $130 shipped, by the way. I packed the book myself and the top label was still attached when I did. I e-mailed him back through PayPal just to send the book back for a full refund. I'm curious how this will play out.

Sorry you have to go through this...it makes no sense for him not to even contact you...but are both transactions Gecko 157? I didn't see the name of the first transgressor listed?

Yes, gecko157 for both transactions. I just highlighted his screen name in Darrel F's post about him.

I'd like to know as well

Yes, gecko157 for both transactions. I just highlighted his screen name in Darrel F's post about him.

And he just escalated the PayPal dispute to a claim. Even though I had already told him (through PayPal) to send the book back for a full refund.

I'd like to know as well

And he just escalated the PayPal dispute to a claim. Even though I had already told him (through PayPal) to send the book back for a full refund.

It's pretty obvious when a con man goes into action. An honest person never takes kind of actions. Hopefully neither of you get burned. Maybe some kind soul will follow him around and post links to these posts so that other sellers can choose whether to sell to this guy or not. He'd be one I would refuse.

It's pretty obvious when a con man goes into action. An honest person never takes kind of actions. Hopefully neither of you get burned. Maybe some kind soul will follow him around and post links to these posts so that other sellers can choose whether to sell to this guy or not. He'd be one I would refuse.

He currently has a thread going in the Want To Buy forum: link

Notice how he mentions "Paypal preferred".

That is sad to hear. I received a CGC book recently without a top label, and I noticed it quickly, but I cannot recall which it is now. It's not that big of a deal really, this was the first I have without one. Many old label books have had loose top labels, but I could fix that if I needed to with a touch of glue.

We do what we can. I hope that turns out fine Barton, and forgettable.

BTW, thanks again for the scanner settings, the few I made to test it worked great. (thumbs u

That is sad to hear. I received a CGC book recently without a top label, and I noticed it quickly, but I cannot recall which it is now. It's not that big of a deal really, this was the first I have without one. Many old label books have had loose top labels, but I could fix that if I needed to with a touch of glue.

We do what we can. I hope that turns out fine Barton, and forgettable.

BTW, thanks again for the scanner settings, the few I made to test it worked great. (thumbs u

Thanks, Don.

I just want to be clear - the book's top label was firmly attached when I packed it up and shipped it. I guess it magically peeled off in transit. (Is there a sarcasm graemlin?)

Glad the scanner settings are working for you.

gotta add my gecko157 dealings to this thread.

he opened 2 paypal disputes against me: 1 for not receiving the package (he eventually got it) and this one last night for pages not being OW/W per the CGC label:

I would like to return this book. The pages don't seem to be the advertised ow/w on the label. The edges of the pages seem to be a dark cream and almost brown in color. Please send me your return shipping address.

wtf? I just told him to send it back and I'll refund the $150 when I get the book back. he will then go on ignore and I'm done.

Pretty clear what this guy is doing. Trying to get refunds when one isn't due to get free books or partial refunds to get them cheaper. Nothing more than a conman since it's obviously happened to a few people. Should be added to the HoS.

Pretty clear what this guy is doing. Trying to get refunds when one isn't due to get free books or partial refunds to get them cheaper. Nothing more than a conman since it's obviously happened to a few people. Should be added to the HoS.

I agree. Does this pattern of behavior go back more than 30 days?

The fact that it is Darrell, Mike and Barton is the most damning evidence. All three super solid marketplace denizens. What a sad deal this is.

Agreed! :sumo:

The fact that it is Darrell, Mike and Barton is the most damning evidence. All three super solid marketplace denizens. What a sad deal this is.

This is so sad on so many levels. I guess the only good thing is 3 board members knows this guys address.