• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

Just to add Re: Gecko157 he started a thread asking about other venues to buy/sell on. Probably because he keeps getting kicked out of legit areas once people realize what he is doing. Ebay user lanternsector2814 (Gecko's ID there) has been set to Not a Registered User.

Pretty clear what this guy is doing. Trying to get refunds when one isn't due to get free books or partial refunds to get them cheaper. Nothing more than a conman since it's obviously happened to a few people. Should be added to the HoS.

I agree. Does this pattern of behavior go back more than 30 days?

The fact that it is Darrell, Mike and Barton is the most damning evidence. All three super solid marketplace denizens. What a sad deal this is.

+1

I refuse to deal with the guy. Is there anyway for everyone to file a complaint with Paypal against him to get the refunds back? Obviously, he is a conman and Paypal needs to get the refunds back.

It's clear to me that this is Hall of Shame level activity. Filing multiple Paypal claims for the most spurious of reasons, and then escalating said claims after being told to return the items for a refund? The buyer is clearly and methodically trying to commit fraud.

He *probably* won't get any satisfaction from Paypal, but in any and every event, they will require the items be returned, at the buyer's expense, first.

Have witnesses, sellers. Whether it's a camera, or people who can swear to it, make sure you don't open the package alone.

So ... does Gecko157 go on the HoS?

I voted "Yep". That IS the same as Yes, isn't it?

Pretty clear what this guy is doing. Trying to get refunds when one isn't due to get free books or partial refunds to get them cheaper. Nothing more than a conman since it's obviously happened to a few people. Should be added to the HoS.

The fact that it is Darrell, Mike and Barton is the most damning evidence. All three super solid marketplace denizens. What a sad deal this is.

+1

I refuse to deal with the guy. Is there anyway for everyone to file a complaint with Paypal against him to get the refunds back? Obviously, he is a conman and Paypal needs to get the refunds back.

It's clear to me that this is Hall of Shame level activity. Filing multiple Paypal claims for the most spurious of reasons, and then escalating said claims after being told to return the items for a refund? The buyer is clearly and methodically trying to commit fraud.

He *probably* won't get any satisfaction from Paypal, but in any and every event, they will require the items be returned, at the buyer's expense, first.

Have witnesses, sellers. Whether it's a camera, or people who can swear to it, make sure you don't open the package alone.

I voted "Yep". That IS the same as Yes, isn't it?

Yep. :kidaround:

Just to add Re: Gecko157 he started a thread asking about other venues to buy/sell on. Probably because he keeps getting kicked out of legit areas once people realize what he is doing. Ebay user lanternsector2814 (Gecko's ID there) has been set to Not a Registered User.

geckonaru.jpg

So far....11 Yes to 0 No

I don't think the poll needs to continue. Barton, nominate that scum to the HOS list.

Any of the folks who have been subject to his shenanigans can do that.

I think the poll is enough to get him in the HoS:

5d) Inclusion in the Hall Of Shame must be decided by a poll.

Ah....Gecko157, anything to say for yourself?

I think if he hasn't responded yet, he's probably high-tailed it out of here. Maybe someone should post his paypal ID, name and address so when he comes back with a different board name, people can recognize him and cancel the transaction before sending the book.

I suggested this a long time ago for those that keep coming back under different shills. Arch said it can't happen. We can't post their real name and address.

So far....11 Yes to 0 No

I don't think the poll needs to continue. Barton, nominate that scum to the HOS list.

You had to go quote the rules, huh?

c) The Hall Of Shame candidate is subject to all of the above rules.

"all the above rules" refers to the PL rules section. The 30 days goes by, a PM is sent. That sort of thing.

The Poll simply takes it out of an individual's decision to select HOS over PL.

We are a couple of days away form 30. Gecko has not been online for 4 days.

I have no objection, as long as someone wronged by him PMs him, to adding him a couple of days early in light of how he has been working. He will still have a change to come on and offer his explanations and defense and the chance to be voted off.

So far....11 Yes to 0 No

As one of the three I say throw him on the list.

So far....11 Yes to 0 No

As one of the three I say throw him on the list.

As another victim, I say throw him on the list.

And as a complete non-sequitir, I just want say beware of buyers from the Land of Enchantment who share a name with the author of Moneyball. (For some reason, those words just popped into my head.)

So far....11 Yes to 0 No

You had to go quote the rules, huh?

c) The Hall Of Shame candidate is subject to all of the above rules.

"all the above rules" refers to the PL rules section. The 30 days goes by, a PM is sent. That sort of thing.

The Poll simply takes it out of an individual's decision to select HOS over PL.

We are a couple of days away form 30. Gecko has not been online for 4 days.

I have no objection, as long as someone wronged by him PMs him, to adding him a couple of days early in light of how he has been working. He will still have a change to come on and offer his explanations and defense and the chance to be voted off.

I say put him on now. He's actively seeking more victims here, and is in the midst of trying to scam folks via paypal. If by some miracle he shows up here and has a wonderful explanation for himself, he can be removed right quick.

+1

One more thing, which I forgot to mention: Paypal considers any dispute opened against you to be a "ding" against your account, and it goes on your "permanent record", regardless of the validity, or lack thereof, of the claim.

It may have no impact. It may have a lot of impact. Only Paypal knows. But their opinion (and eBay's stated opinion) is that nobody opens a dispute without some sort of legitimate reasoning (which goes hand in hand with their ludicrous, naive philosophy that says "we believe people are basically good, and any dispute is just due to miscommunication of some sort." :eyeroll: )

It most absolutely DOES affect their "opinion" of you, and colors their perception of you as a client.

So when someone opens frivolous disputes against you, there are real, potentially damaging, consequences. And there's really nothing you can do to undo it.

Something to consider for anyone who may be on the fence (though it looks like no one is.)

Hey Bosco - I was adding Gecko but three times in a row the formatting got all whacked. Yours looks better than mine so I deleted mine. But can you update the date at the top to 7/12/12?

Looks like you removed yours after I removed mine. Trying again.

Hey Bosco - I was adding Gecko but three times in a row the formatting got all whacked. Yours looks better than mine so I deleted mine. But can you update the date at the top to 7/12/12?

doh!

I deleted mine out of respect for yours. I'll go back now and fix it.