• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

But my point is just because you dislike them they shouldn't be banded. I have bought both raw, slabbed, and mystery boxes from this board and when I receive them, I thought well it's not as advertised. Think of it as you gave your brother from another mother $$ to buy someone a gift and it turned out to be you and when you opened it on Christmas day you thought "what? or yeah baby!"

So is this a trust issue that no one will get the good comic/comics? Or that you don't like the gamble?

Okay I will admit defeat. There are enough boardies posting that dont have a financial incentive to make clear they want the mystery boxes to continue. I just tried to point a problem that will eventually happen again with these.

But what difference does it make if its a mystery box or a single issue?

the difference is a mystery box is tougher to validate.

Scenario 1:

User A buys Action 1 from User B

User A ends up with the stated book, User B ends up with correct ammount of $$$.

Pretty straight forward. Issues might be around non-disclosed restoration, or grading disagreements, which can be raised, and dealt with.

Scenario 2:

User A buys one of 20 mystery boxes from User B who stated that one box would contain a Saga #1 RRP, the rest would be Image books worth $50 or so.

User B keeps the RRP and doesnt put it in any of the 20 boxes.

User A gets his books(no RRP) and assumes he didn't "win" the RRP, but the other 19 buyers also make the same assumption.

How does this get checked? All it takes is 1 buyer to not reveal his mystery box contents for the

Exactly. In scenario 2 what if theres a post by the seller that "Mystery Box 8 sold per PM" since some people dont like to do their buys in public, and we dont require buyer info to be disclosed couldnt the Seller just say "oh year I guess box 8 has the Action Comics #1"... So we could cover some sketchiness by saying All mystery box sales must be in-thread/public purchases?

Not a bad suggestion - but even if you do that, there's no realistic way of compelling every one the purchasers to reveal what they got (i.e. if one of them got a "prize" item).

You make it a requirement of a mystery box thread for the seller to, after the boxes have shipped, list which purchaser or which box #(all of whom must take a box number in the thread and not by PM) received which high ticket item.

If there are 3 or 4 top end items that are inserted randomly then those items should be disclosed, as to their new owner, within the thread after such time as the boxes have been delivered.

But my point is just because you dislike them they shouldn't be banded. I have bought both raw, slabbed, and mystery boxes from this board and when I receive them, I thought well it's not as advertised. Think of it as you gave your brother from another mother $$ to buy someone a gift and it turned out to be you and when you opened it on Christmas day you thought "what? or yeah baby!"

So is this a trust issue that no one will get the good comic/comics? Or that you don't like the gamble?

Vader, Im starting to think you dont read my excessively long posts...

Again, Im in favor of keeping mystery boxes around, but would STRONGLY encourage the community to push for those listing these types of sales to be transparent, and to document the process of the distribution.

See? I like them, so its not that I dislike them, but that I think there is a greater chance for tomfoolery vs the straight forward book sale. In your scenario if you thought a book was not as advertised you could:

a) contact the seller and discuss returns/refunds, partial refunds, etc to "make things right".

b) nominate the seller for the probation list (which would likely lead back to option a for the sake of resolution).

in the mystery box scenario I posed part of what you are buying (along with a box of books) is a "chance" at a high dollar book, and how does a buyer prove that everyone got a "chance" and how does a seller prove that they didn't?

I think the suggestion that at the end of the sale mystery boxes are disclosed, especially in the case of the "big prize" type mystery box sale.

Vader, Im starting to think you dont read my excessively long posts...

Again, Im in favor of keeping mystery boxes around, but would STRONGLY encourage the community to push for those listing these types of sales to be transparent, and to document the process of the distribution.

See? I like them, so its not that I dislike them, but that I think there is a greater chance for tomfoolery vs the straight forward book sale. In your scenario if you thought a book was not as advertised you could:

a) contact the seller and discuss returns/refunds, partial refunds, etc to "make things right".

b) nominate the seller for the probation list (which would likely lead back to option a for the sake of resolution).

in the mystery box scenario I posed part of what you are buying (along with a box of books) is a "chance" at a high dollar book, and how does a buyer prove that everyone got a "chance" and how does a seller prove that they didn't?

I think the suggestion that at the end of the sale mystery boxes are disclosed, especially in the case of the "big prize" type mystery box sale.

I do read them and I know you are in favor of them, but deep down inside I think you might have a trust issue. :whee:

The only way to prove that a buyer does get the high $$ comic would be for that seller to send/or give a list to someone/boardie that is not participating in the mystery box.

Mystery Boxes as a sales item -

In my opinion "No".

I think it opens up the door for sellers to unload drek on buyers at a higher value price.

Now if each box had a guaranteed resale of over whatever price paid that would be different but I don't see it playing out that way.

Also there can be some bias as the seller could always give a preferred buyer a "better" box than someone who normally doesn't deal with.

Last summer I did an un-announced giveaway of 9 items, three of them were mystery items. Now these were not items for sale, just giveaways to buyers that met a $$$ threshold up to that point in the year.

To be fair I blindly texted the actual mystery item content to three different trusted board members before listing them. The board members didn't even know the texts were coming. There were a few "huh?" texts in response. lol

I think if someone knew the contents of each numbered box before they went up for sale I might change my tune.

Well I have a newbie to add to the Probation List.

In Eary Dec (maybe late Nov), Mkkiller posted a WTB thread.

12/3/12, I sent him a PM listed a few of the books I had available. Scanned the images.

12/7, He said he definitely wanted the hero For Hire #1. Sent me his zip code to price shipping.

12/8, I provide shipping costs and PayPal address.

12/10, Asked if he was still interested in the book.

12/10, he responded :yes i am i juut have to wait at this moment in time to get it "

12/10, I asked for a time frame.

12/10, he responded "i get paid abotu every 2 weeks so sometime around the 15th "

12/12, he responded "i will have payment to you tmrw \:\)"

12/27, I asked about payment

12/28, he responded "not yet i have bills to take care of, before i do some spending"

02/02, asked about payment, he read the PM, but has not responded

Meanwhile, Looks like he had some books done during the Sam Keith signing last month.

Thanks,

Brian

This is the same guy who I responded to with a big long list (30-35) of books he was looking for, gave me no response whatsoever (not even a no) and proceeded to "remove himself from this topic" without so much as a word. He's already shown that he does what he wants when he wants and could care less about anybody but himself. :facepalm:

He came in with guns a blazin'

If he goes on the list i vote we redirect his kieth books to me.

no no no they are my kieth books :o and sorry if i didnt' get back to you, Hows this no Mr. lone tree I am no longer interested in your Hero for Hire book, Thank you for your time and patience.

:facepalm: Gozzlebobber

12/3/12, I sent him a PM listed a few of the books I had available. Scanned the images.

12/7, He said he definitely wanted the hero For Hire #1. Sent me his zip code to price shipping.

12/10, he responded :yes i am i juut have to wait at this moment in time to get it "

12/10, he responded "i get paid abotu every 2 weeks so sometime around the 15th "

12/28, he responded "not yet i have bills to take care of, before i do some spending"

Meanwhile, Looks like he had some books done during the Sam Keith signing last month.

Thanks,

Brian

So Brian, what is your proposed path to resolution now that he is paying attention to the matter? Is his declaration of "no interest" sufficient, or was there any impact (monetary or otherwise) to you holding the books for 2 months for him?

no no no they are my kieth books :o and sorry if i didnt' get back to you, Hows this no Mr. lone tree I am no longer interested in your Hero for Hire book, Thank you for your time and patience.
This is going to be good.

Thanks,

Brian

So Brian, what is your proposed path to resolution now that he is paying attention to the matter? Is his declaration of "no interest" sufficient, or was there any impact (monetary or otherwise) to you holding the books for 2 months for him?

"He said he definitely wanted the hero For Hire #1".

'Nuff said. An I'll take it is an I'll take it....period (whether you post the icon or not).