• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

I agree with Iceman, Mattew did not come here to put Bob on the probation list, he came to advise the community that there was a problem. He didn't have a clue about the list.

I read the rules before I suggested he file and I didn't see any language that would preclude him from making the request.

I saw language that COULD be interpreted that way, but didn't have to be. The same way the Constitution can be interpreted in different ways, I'm reading this to mean between board members, not between board members at the time the transaction was first initiated.

Do we really want to make it harder on this man who is out so much money?

Is there a reason to coddle Bob?

Coddle Bob? I'm surprised to hear that from you as I have been trying to encourage more boardies to speak out with their own experiences with Bob. They seem to be legion.

I am really surprised to hear you talk about the language interpretation. Remember how this sentences made it to the top of the PL rules, even though they were posted on 7/21, ten days before the rules went into effect?

The following Probation List Rules are in effect beginning 8/1/2011.

It was to prevent grandfathering. Then, there was some discussion over that and a strong general agreement.

The intent of the rule about transactions between board members should be obvious. The first rule of being a boardie is to not screw over another boardie. That is what this whole PL/HOS thing is all about. All of this happened when Matthew was not a boardie.

I am also far from unfeeling about what happened to Matthew. As I said, it sucketh.

I HATE taking this stance but I am also concerned about maintaining the structure and integrity of the system we have in place.

I had a difficult 7 or 8 month deal with Bob but I did eventually get a book in the mail that I accepted so I can't nominate Bob. I'll never deal with him again but I'm not convinced he's dishonest or Dr Bob Evil. I am convinced that he's the most disorganized, forgetful, scattered person I've ever dealt with. I would like to nominate him to the Walking Dead Hall of Zombies.

ah, brings back memories of calls to the Nebraska Better Business Bureau to help in obtaining a refund. good times. (was a pre-board transaction)

Edited by paperheart

Pov let me ask, does this cut both ways? What I mean is if I am not a boardie and I buy and sell on eBay. During my tenure I screw a few boardies over (lets say not paying, doing charge backs and not shipping books) then I join the boards, does that mean I come in with a clean slate? No-one can nominate me for pl or hof until I've then screwed over a boardie as a board member? I feel like that goes against the idea of the pl or hof. Its a warning to other boardies. I have no problem with saying you can't nominate someone who isn't a member but once that person is a member there should be no reason why they shouldn't be able to nominate, but I'd hold them to strict scrutiny (such as proof of the transaction) just my 2c

I'd prefer to see others who have admitted to having bad experiences sound in here as well about those experiences.

Pov, I understand - it's not your responsibility to wade through 50 pages to find the testimonials. Yet on the other hand, it's hard to say how many people are still tracking the thread or have given up in disgust (a common occurrence when dealing with BLB).

Please allow me to quote a few posts from others.

If there is any doubt to the veracity of these quoted posts, a PM to the Board member should quickly validate (thanks).

Edited by sacentaur

Interesting thread, but unfortunately, not new to me. From my one and only experience, this is the way he operates.

About a year after CGC came into existence, he advertised (in CBG) NM+ Silver Age Marvels. They were priced a bit over guide, but his gave a detailed description. I called him (and he answered!) and reserved most of the books, as a couple had already sold. He talked to me at length about his experience in the hobby, how great this new collection was, that CGC had nothing on these books, etc. I was mesmerized.

I sent him a money order, so as to speed up the shipping. He told me he would get my package ready and the books would ship right after he received my payment. Six weeks go by and nothing. So I call him and tells me he has been sick, blah blah blah. Then he tells me he is hiring extra help, as he has been swamped with orders. He promises to send out the books that day.

Well, six more weeks pass and nothing. I'm at my wits end. Do I call him again or do I go to CBG or do I go to the postal authorities. Luckily, the package arrives a day later. Half the order is not filled, but he does give me check for the missing books. I check the books that are sent, and all but one are grossly over graded. Best one in the lot is VF, and I paid over top guide for all of them!

I swallow it, and file it under lessons learned. Those lessons are:

1. He is a liar

2. He is crook

3. He gross over grader

4. Never buy from him

He is on my personal Hall of Shame list. Those of you who say he is a great guy and needs help should give him your money and business. Leave the rest of us out of it.

Just my two cents. Well, actually, more like a few hundred dollars.

Actually, I bowed out of a lot of the rules writing/discussions because well, I didn't want to upset you, lol...sorry :foryou:

We are obviously seeing this from different points of view...

Hopefully, someone will chime who will satisfy your requirements;)

I'm going to hope Mark settles this within two weeks, if not, I'm going to propose a vote for some kind of an exception.

Then we can let the forum members decide if exceptions should make the rules. I will agree with the majority...but I don't think letting something go due to a technicality, is something I'm comfortable with in this situation.

:wishluck: on it working out before that, Michael :foryou:

Same for me. Bought a book through his eBay store to help him out with his daughter's medical bills. Book was definitely not as described and I returned it. Refund was delayed and delayed and delayed (and we are talking less than $100) and finally had to open a case against him to get him to refund the money.

(tsk)

Yup. You'll have a hard time finding people who will stick up for him on this board. His past transgressions are well documented here. I've had enough bad experiences with him to not want to deal with him either.

I have also had trouble reaching Bob to complete our transaction. With his daughter's situation, I thought it was Stevens Johnson an alergic reaction to penicilian not cancer, I sent him a check much earlier in the year. Based on his rep and inventory I thought it was safe.

I spoke to him in july, but he was too busy to work on the transaction. I have tried several ti es to reach him via pm, email, linkedin but no response.

I was not overly concerned until I saw this thread

I think must have missed my coroborating post.

I have been on the board here for almost a decade, and the Ebay Comics board for many years prior to that.

I am currently having a very similar experience with Bob

I was able to reach Bob by phone in July as I was going to be in Omaha and wanted to meet with him in person. He was unavailable as he was going out of town the time period I was there due to a different situation with another of his children.

The phone number in the thread is still working, but it is to a cel phone that is full and cannot accept more messages.

His website is directed to his eBay store.

In the last few weeks the prices on a some of items had their discount changed from 20% to 21%. Don't think that would happen automatically

At least 1 Item I was looking at was removed from his store in the last few weeks.

While the magnitude of my check is not as large as the OP, it is significant

Jim

Bob Beerbohm is a literal piece of mess. So is Mitch Mehdy aka Saul Goodman defending him (I believe they got their law degrees at the same school).

Beerbohm ripped and pissed me off so many times at cons over the last 10 years I've lost count. Never buy a raw comic from that SOB.

Pov let me ask, does this cut both ways? What I mean is if I am not a boardie and I buy and sell on eBay. During my tenure I screw a few boardies over (lets say not paying, doing charge backs and not shipping books) then I join the boards, does that mean I come in with a clean slate? No-one can nominate me for pl or hof until I've then screwed over a boardie as a board member? I feel like that goes against the idea of the pl or hof. Its a warning to other boardies. I have no problem with saying you can't nominate someone who isn't a member but once that person is a member there should be no reason why they shouldn't be able to nominate, but I'd hold them to strict scrutiny (such as proof of the transaction) just my 2c

Now THAT is a damned good question and by far the most well thought out rejoinder by far. I weep at its beauty.

It reminds me of whole Thomas Neely thing. So let me ask. Before the whole Neely thing went down and he was put on HOS was he a forum member?

Try this thread, though I think some photos may have been deleted.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=4018009&fpart=1

I can't see an All Star #8 without first looking to Hawkman's wrist because of this thread.

Another BLB engineered train wreck - I wonder why he deleted the photo showing the tub of glue and a tacking gun alongside the collection in his basement after CGC purple labeled the All Star #8 for glue at the bottom staple? hm

CGC bent over backwards to accommodate him, even after BLB attempted to extort $10,000 from them.

It just never ends with him...

I don't want to argue in Beerbohm's defense. I've dealt with him for decades without any real problems and I (still) have respect for his contributions to the hobby, but I've also read the thread and been disheartened by what appears to be a long-standing pattern of bad behavior.

What is it the lawyers say about "hard cases make bad law"? Leaving aside the justifiable grievances of the OP in that thread, I don't think we want to open the door to non-members signing up solely to air their gripes about transactions with a board member on eBay or wherever.

I don't want to argue in Beerbohm's defense. I've dealt with him for decades without any real problems and I (still) have respect for his contributions to the hobby, but I've also read the thread and been disheartened by what appears to be a long-standing pattern of bad behavior.

What is it the lawyers say about "hard cases make bad law"? Leaving aside the justifiable grievances of the OP in that thread, I don't think we want to open the door to non-members signing up solely to air their gripes about transactions with a board member on eBay or wherever.

I ultimately do agree. It is troubling because, contrary to popular belief, I have a conscience.

Further, especially for the PL, someone can join, nominate someone for the on a transaction PL before they joined, then just split the boards. No chance of a removal.

I'd rather they signed up just to air their gripes about bad transactions they had with board members than have them sign up just to try to sell books here fee free. hm