• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ethics

132 posts in this topic

I absolutely HATE when people flip on the boards. I find it insulting, it's almost like thinking I dont pay attention.

It's a question of good manners, Pat.

Yes, they have every right to 'do what they want with the book once they've bought it'.

However, they are utterly classless to do it here, under the original seller's nose. (thumbs u

What if you buy it and notify the seller that it is for the intention of flipping he the seller states he doesn't care.

(shrug)

After you've agreed the price? If that's have you have to live. meh

I absolutely HATE when people flip on the boards. I find it insulting, it's almost like thinking I dont pay attention.

Yes, they have every right to 'do what they want with the book once they've bought it'.

However, they are utterly classless to do it here, under the original seller's nose. (thumbs u

I have done that, but I PMed JiveTurkeyMoFo and told him what I was doing and how much I would be listing it for sale on the boards.

And what sort of time frame are we looking at between purchase and sale? (shrug)

Four months and a week.

You got anything in the VCC I can press and flip? :popcorn:

Go nuts. I honestly wont ever say anything to someone doing it. I just kind of take note.

Why is that 130 an 8.5?

I didnt call for any notes. But I will take a look for you if you like.

Oh no, I was only curious. I have an SS 9.6 copy. Just going by the scan, it looked nicer than an 8.5.

I am confused about it myself. There were 2 books in my last 2 submissions that just had me scratching my head. That and my Shazam 28 (which really upset me, I LOVE that book).

Oh, and the Green label didnt leave that way.

I was shocked at the price on the 132. That book has really come down in price, but it is still so difficult to find in both high grade and good QP. Woldsbestcomics and I shared the best looking copy of that book I have ever seen.

What if you buy it and notify the seller that it is for the intention of flipping he the seller states he doesn't care.

(shrug)

I think classless is a bit harsh.

I can just speak for myself, but when/if I buy for the intention of resale I state it up front. It's business and not personal. I've even passed on books bought for resale if another board member has showed interest in purchasing for their collection.

R.

I have done that, but I PMed JiveTurkeyMoFo and told him what I was doing and how much I would be listing it for sale on the boards.

And what sort of time frame are we looking at between purchase and sale? (shrug)

Four months and a week.

I'm good with that. (thumbs u

What I'm talking about is those who purchase with the sole intention of immediately flipping. You don't qualify, Jim...unless you're inordinately lazy. :insane:

This is supposed to be a community...but to many, it's simply a source of income. :(

(shrug)

I think classless is a bit harsh.

I can just speak for myself, but when/if I buy for the intention of resale I state it up front. It's business and not personal. I've even passed on books bought for resale if another board member has showed interest in purchasing for their collection.

R.

No, in my world, 'classless' is precisely right.

What you're doing isn't wrong...it breaks no laws anywhere...but it displays a different philosophy of life than that which I subscribe to. (thumbs u

Four months and a week.

I'm good with that. (thumbs u

What I'm talking about is those who purchase with the sole intention of immediately flipping. You don't qualify, Jim...unless you're inordinately lazy. :insane:

This is supposed to be a community...but to many, it's simply a source of income. :(

I can see both sides, within limits. It's very much like pressing and how it relates to disclosure. I can see the parallels between flipping and pressing. It's about passing along the information/'intent you have at the time of the transaction.

(shrug)

Contrary to popular belief, I am not here to start an argument, but are we really going to go through this yet again? You seem to be the only one intent on continually bringing this subject to the forefront of discussion.

(shrug)

Contrary to popular belief, I am not here to start an argument, but are we really going to go through this yet again? You seem to be the only one intent on continually bringing this subject to the forefront of discussion.

Jim, it was not directed in any way to past events but since you brought it up I just want to say that I am moving forward and hopefully something good and positive can come out of this somewhat painful learning experience for all involved.

:foryou:

This is a discussion forum and I am simply trying to have an open discussion on ethics (since that is the topic at hand) and would like to know through discussion other people's opinions and more importantly their perceptions on the matter.

We can agree that community perception and opinion is important to understand, right?

Hence my focused questions to FT.

R.

I can see both sides, within limits. It's very much like pressing and how it relates to disclosure. I can see the parallels between flipping and pressing. It's about passing along the information/'intent you have at the time of the transaction.

+1

I do think intention is the crux of the argument. I won't lie: there have been a couple of books I've purchased in various venues (one or two here, some my LCS, others online elsewhere) with the intent of adding them to my collection. However, when the Amazing Spider-Man #1 and the AF # 15 opportunities came about, I needed to sell a few other key books and semi keys to raise money to defray the initial sale prices. And yes, some of those books were sold here on the boards. But I don't think what I did was wrong. Everybody involved was able to add to their collection a book that they wanted.

That's just my take on it though. :foryou:

(shrug)

Jim, it was not directed in any way to past events but since you brought it up I just want to say that I am moving forward and hopefully something good and positive can come out of this somewhat painful learning experience for all involved.

:foryou:

This is a discussion forum and I am simply trying to have an open discussion on ethics (since that is the topic at hand) and would like to know through discussion other people's opinions and more importantly their perceptions on the matter.

We can agree that community perception and opinion is important to understand, right?

Hence my focused questions to FT.

R.

Fair enough. (thumbs u

I look at it this way.

This board, this community, is my extended family of sorts. I've met some folk, but many I haven't, but regardless, the treatment I have received from the few I have has led me to consider all of you (apart from the scamming arseholes, obviously) as 'friends'.

And in my world, you make the least bit of money you can off friends. 'Mates rates' we call them in the UK, and that basically amounts to the least amount you can charge for the work that you put in.

Not what you could charge, but the least you could add on.

Different way of viewing things, I suppose. (shrug)

If anyone buys something from me, they can sell it the next minute for 10x what they paid me for it. It isn't my book anymore, it is theirs.

Fine.

That's how you view this venue.

I've always viewed it differently.

A lot of it centers around how tactfully the transaction is handled.

Providing incorrect information to get a lower price so one can make up the difference on an immediate resale is wrong.

If anyone buys something from me, they can sell it the next minute for 10x what they paid me for it. It isn't my book anymore, it is theirs.

Fine.

That's how you view this venue.

I've always viewed it differently.

A lot of it centers around how tactfully the transaction is handled.

Providing incorrect information to get a lower price so one can make up the difference on an immediate resale is wrong.

Is rice. (thumbs u

I would never lie or steal or cheat for anything, never mind something as inconsequential as a comic book. I say that after having been a collector for four decades – and the damn things have, in the main, kept me out of the pub for the last five years.

Others see it differently – and there has been enough evidence of that on these very boards in the last few weeks alone.

Still, we can’t let the dodgy minority derail the good that also happens on here.

Fair enough. (thumbs u

I look at it this way.

This board, this community, is my extended family of sorts. I've met some folk, but many I haven't, but regardless, the treatment I have received from the few I have has led me to consider all of you (apart from the scamming arseholes, obviously) as 'friends'.

And in my world, you make the least bit of money you can off friends. 'Mates rates' we call them in the UK, and that basically amounts to the least amount you can charge for the work that you put in.

Not what you could charge, but the least you could add on.

Different way of viewing things, I suppose. (shrug)

Nick, I agree with you in spirit. It's a tough line to define.

As far as this being a place of business, well the majority of collectors on here openly admit to selling books for the purposes of funding their addiction collections.

:insane:

The big question is where do you draw the line? Every line is drawn in a different spot based on the book for sale, the price, the buyer, the costs involved and most importantly the relationship between buyer and seller (friends, acquaintances, newbies, regular customers, etc)

These variables create a certain amount of grey area.

That's why these discussions can polarize people very quickly...because they do not take into account all possible situations. In short, every situation is different.

Since almost every situation is unique we need to be careful in judging people's ethics based on how they buy their books.

I think the only rule EVERYONE will unanimously agree on is honesty up front.

Disclosure of the buyer's intent at the time of sale should be mandatory and should be considered a fair transaction for all parties, hence it should be considered an ethical transaction.

2c